Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Short-Term Student Visa For Spain

A Short-Term Student visa for Spain is a common choice for anyone interested in studying a short course or training program which lasts up to 180 days.

For more information about Short-Term Student visas for Spain, help on how to obtain one, and advice on your eligibility, reach out to our professional immigration advisers by calling IAS today on (+44) 333 4149244 or contact us online.


Overview of the Short-Term Student Visa for Spain

Spain is a popular destination for students interested in studying or training. If you plan to come to Spain for a short time (up to 180 days), you can apply for one of two Short-Term Student visas for Spain.

Short-Term Student visas allow students to come to Spain and study for a short period with a visa valid for either less than 90 days or between 90 and 180 days.

Which Short-Term Student visa you should apply for will depend on factors such as your nationality and the duration of time you are planning to stay.

Who Can Apply?

Short-Term visas for Spain are for anyone who is not from the European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

EU/EEA and Switzerland nationals do not need a visa to come to Spain for a short duration.

If you are a United States citizen you do not need a visa if you plan to stay in Spain for less than 90 days. If your studies or training exceed this period, you will need to apply for a Short-Term Student visa (between 90 and 180 days).

For a full list of other countries which can travel to Spain to study for less than 90 days, refer to the Schengen visa website. 

Types of Short-Term Student Visas


There are two types of Short-Term Student visas for Spain. If you are from a country that does not qualify for visa-free entry to Spain you will have to apply for either of two types of visa.

Your visa choice will depend on the intended duration of your stay.

Schengen Student Visa

If you intend to come to Spain to study for less than 3 months (90 days), you will need to apply for a Schengen Student visa.

This type of visa is not appropriate if you wish to remain in Spain for longer than 90 days, take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession. You will also be unable to apply for a Spanish residence card while holding a Schengen Student visa.

Short-Term Student Visa

If your study course is short and lasts longer than 90 days but shorter than 180 days (between 3 and 6 months), you will have to consider a Short-Term Student visa for Spain.

You can only apply for this visa if your course or training does not exceed 180 days. If you wish to stay in Spain longer, you will need to apply for an adequate visa (Long-Term Student visa).

It is important to note that Short-Term Student visas cannot be extended. And similar to the Schengen Student visa, you will not be able to apply for a Spanish residence card or work if you hold a Short-Term visa.

Ready to take your education to the next level? Apply for your Short-Term Student Visa now and start your academic journey in Spain.

What Can You Do With Short-Term Student Visas?

This type of visa is perfect for short-term educational and training activities, such as:

  • Full-time studies at an authorised school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies
  • Doctorate studies
  • Training activities
  • Student mobility programmes at a compulsory and non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially organised teaching or scientific centre
  • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that internship visas cannot cover
  • Volunteer services
  • Au Pair programmes
  • Conversation class assistants

Additionally, with a Schengen Student visa you can also travel to the 27 Schengen countries.

Eligibility Criteria for Short-Term Student Visa (Spain)

To apply for the Schengen Student visa, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You must be a non-EU/EEA/Switzerland national
  • You must have proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay. You should have at least €600 per month and a minimum of €900 for the whole stay, regardless of the intended duration of the visit
  • You must have medical insurance that will cover your stay
  • You must provide evidence that you have been accepted to one of the educational institutions in Spain. This can be the letter of admission from a school or university in Spain. It is necessary to be accepted into a course before applying for a student visa
  • You must have a clear criminal background
  • You must have a ticket for your flight back to prove that you will stay in Spain short term
  • If the purpose of your stay is going to be related to higher education studies, such as PhD or Master’s degree, you will have to show that you have received a validated degree in the country you are from.

Required Documents for Short-Term Student Visa

List of Requirements

To apply for your Short-Term Student visa you must provide the following required documents:

  • Visa application form
  • A valid passport for the duration of your stay and at least 3 months more than your intended stay
  • Two passport-sized, colour photographs (3 x 4 cm). They must be recent
  • Travel itinerary showing the flight dates and the entry and exit points in the Schengen area
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Medical certificate – stating that you don’t have any medical diseases that may threaten public health
  • Proof of accommodation – where you will be staying during your time in Spain
  • A bank statement to show proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay
  • Proof of university or college enrolment

Additional Requirements for Minor Applicants

If you are under the age of 18, you are considered a minor, and you will require the following additional documents to support your student visa application:

  • A birth certificate of the applicant
  • A copy of an identity document or passport of your parent or a guardian (one document for each parent/guardian)
  • Consent from your parents stating that you can travel and a permission to study in Spain
  • If relevant, a court judgement stating which parent is responsible for the minor applicant
  • If applicable, a declaration from the applicant’s school consenting to their absence from the studies

Experience the best of Spain’s culture and education! Apply for your Short-Term Student Visa today.

Short-Term Student Visa Application Costs

The application fee for a Schengen Student visa depends on your country of origin. The standard Schengen visa fee is €80. Usually, you pay the fee before or right as you submit the application.

You should contact your nearest Spanish embassy or consulate to find out the exact visa fee that will apply to you.

The payment method will depend on the embassy or consulate processing your application. You will attach the receipt to the required documents to support your application.

The visa application fee for a Short-Term Student visa is around €60, depending on your nationality. The payment method for this application will also depend on the embassy or consulate that is going to process your application. You will pay the application visa fee when you submit your visa application.

Language Requirements for Studying in Spain

If the course you applied for is going to be taught in the Spanish language, you will be required to show proficiency in Spanish. To do this, you will take a language test, such as the Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera.

If your course is going to be taught in English, you will need to prove that you can read and understand English well enough to study the English taught course. The accepted tests that can show your English proficiency include:

  • PTE Academic
  • C1 Advanced

How to Apply for a Student Visa?

The application process is much simpler than applying for a Long-Term Student visa. However, you still need to ensure that you meet the essential eligibility requirements and that you are able to provide the supporting documents for your visa application.

You should prepare all the required documents for your visa and fill out the application for one type of visa, depending on the duration of your stay.

All the documents supporting your visa must be in Spanish or English. If you don’t have them in one of the languages, you will need to get them translated by a certified translator.

You will normally fill out the application form at your local Spanish embassy or consulate and submit your visa application while you are there.

t miss out on the opportunity to immerse yourself in Spain’s rich culture and language! We can help you apply for Short-Term Student Visa.

When Should You Apply for a Student Visa?

You should submit your application as early as 3 months or as late as 15 days before your trip to Spain. This is to ensure that there is enough time to process your visa application.

You should always double check the student visa application procedure specific to your consulate to make sure you have enough time before your studies begin.

You will then schedule an appointment for your visa interview. Visa interviews are in-person with embassy officials. You will submit any supporting documents and answer simple questions about your trip to Spain.

Student Visa Interview Questions

Once you schedule a visa interview, you will be asked to answer some questions in regards to your studies and your trip to Spain.

Visa interviews are important to ensure that all the information you provided in your visa application are true and that you are fully eligible for your visa to be approved.

The questions asked in the visa interview will only be related to your trip to Spain and their purpose is to clear any concerns before you receive the decision on your visa application.

You should always answer all the questions honestly and correctly. You may be asked some of the following common questions:

  • Why did you choose Spain?
  • Why have you chosen the particular course?
  • Do you know anyone in Spain?

Apply for your Short-Term Student Visa and experience Spain’s incredible education system firsthand.

How Long Do You Have to Wait for a Decision on Your Application?

The legal period for reaching a decision on your Schengen Student visa application is 15 days from the day after the application submission date.

However, this time frame is not guaranteed as, in some cases, applicants are required to provide additional documents. Therefore, this period may be extended from 30 to 60 days.

Short-Term Student visa application decisions can take up to 1 month from the submission date. However, this period can be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested.

If your application is successful, you will be notified to come to the embassy you applied at to collect your visa.

What Happens If Your Visa is Refused?

If your Student visa gets refused, you will be notified about the decision in writing, and you will be provided with the reason for refusal.

You will be able to submit an appeal for reconsideration within 1 month of the day following the date of the visa refusal notification.

You may also file an application for judicial review to the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day you received the refusal notification.

However, you should only consider a judicial review if you believe that the decision on your visa was unfair or if you believe that the evidence and information you have provided were not fully considered.

If you are considering pursuing a judicial review for your Short-Term Student visa application case, our immigration advisers can assist you with a judicial review and guide you through the process. For more information reach out to IAS today on (+44) 333 4149244.

How Can IAS Help?

If you are interested in a Short-Term Student visa for Spain or you wish to appeal after your visa has been refused, you can reach out to our immigration advisers.

The majority of Short-Term Student visa applications are successful. However, visa refusals are not uncommon, and they are often due to lack of required documents or issues with eligibility. This can be stressful and costly to many applicants.

If your Short-Term Student visa is refused, you can get professional help from our experienced and sympathetic immigration advisers to ensure the best chance of being granted your visa.

We can assess your eligibility, help you prepare your supporting documents, and assist you throughout your visa application process to avoid common errors leading to visa refusal.

For more information about the services we offer and how we can help you with your Short-Term visa for Spain or assistance with your visa application in case of visa refusal, reach out to us on  (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online today.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us