Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

EU Registry Certificate – How to Apply in Spain

An EU Registry Certificate (ERC) is a document issued by the European Union that confirms the authenticity of an individual’s identity, residence, nationality, and other personal information. Individuals in Spain must possess an ERC to stay there legally. It is also known as a Green Card.

To learn more about the EU Registry Certificate, contact our immigration experts at (+44) 333 4149244. Here at IAS, we are committed to providing up-to-date and accurate information to help you understand the process of applying for an EU Registry Certificate in Spain.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Spain Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Spain visa or permit, IAS Spain immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Ireland successfully, we can help businesses and individuals achieve their goals.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Expert support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are accredited by the IBA in Madrid and Seville.

    Regardless of what your Spain immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Overview of EU Registry Certificate

    This certificate registers citizens from European Union member states or states party to the European Economic Area agreement in the Central Register of Foreigners of Spain (Registro Central de Extranjeros, or RCE) if they plan to reside in Spain for over three months.

    The certificate is a two-page document in Spanish. The first page contains the applicant’s personal information, such as name, date of birth, place of birth, and nationality.

    The second page contains an identification number, residence address, and details about the applicant’s visa or permit. It must be presented when applying for public benefits in Spain.

    Which Countries are Included in the EU?

    An economic and political union comprising 27 countries, the European Union (EU) operates a single market that facilitates the free flow of goods, capital, services, and individuals among its member states.

    The member states of the European Union include Austria, Belgium, the Republic of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Finland, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden.

    Switzerland and three of the European Free Trade Association States, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway, are also included in this program.

    When to Apply for an EU Registry Certificate in Spain?

    EU citizens who plan to reside in Spain for over three months are required to get this certificate.

    You should apply for the certificate within 3 months of arriving in Spain. It is important to note that failure to register within the required period may result in fines and other penalties.

    Eligibility for the Certificate

    To start the process, you must first meet the eligibility criteria. To be eligible for an EU Registry Certificate in Spain, you must:

    • Be a Spanish resident
    • Have a valid Spanish address, or you will have to provide a nearby police station address.
    • Be at least 18 years old
    • Have no outstanding debts or legal issues.

    This ensures that you are not a liability to the country and will contribute to its prosperity.

    Unlock the benefits of EU Registry Certificate in Spain with ease. Apply with us today.

    Documents Required to Apply


    If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can begin the application process. This involves completing an application form, which is available online. You will then need to provide all the necessary documents, depending on whether you are a student, employee, or self-employed.

    • A valid passport
    • A National Identity Card
    • EX18 Form
    • Evidence of payment of the required fee
    • Individuals who are not actively employed in Spain must have either public or private health insurance that covers them in Spain for the duration of their stay and is equivalent to the coverage provided by the national healthcare system. This insurance can be contracted either in Spain or another European country.

    Requirements for Students

    • Proof that verifies you as a student.
    • Individuals who are students, including those in vocational training programs, must provide proof that they meet the following requirements:
      • You must be enrolled at a private or public institution accredited or funded by the relevant education authority.
      • You must have either public or private health insurance that covers them in Spain for the duration of your stay. This insurance can be contracted either in Spain or in another country.

    An exception to this requirement is if the student holds a valid European Health Insurance Card throughout their stay and only covers necessary treatments.

    Requirements for Employees

    Workers who are employed must submit either a confirmation of engagement from their employer or a certificate of employment. You also need to provide a social security registration document.

    Requirements for Self-employed Workers

    • Self-employed individuals must present evidence of their self-employment status.
    • You must also be registered with the Spanish social security system.

    If any document is expired, you can provide a copy of it and a copy of the application confirming that you have applied for its renewal.

    Applying for your EU Registry Certificate in Spain is quick and hassle-free. Our team of experts is here to guide you.

    What is the Required Amount of Sufficient Funds?

    When applying for an EU registry certificate, you must submit proof of a specific amount. It will show that you have enough resources to stay in Spain for you and your family.

    The assessment of adequate resources will be done case-by-case, considering the individual’s and their family’s specific circumstances.

    Any supporting documents can be used to demonstrate sufficient financial resources, such as proof of ownership of bank accounts with adequate funds, property ownership (or income generated from it), pensions or income from abroad, etc.

    The minimum amount to be shown is based on the yearly IPREM (funds must be equivalent to 100% of that IPREM for each year of stay in the country). i.e., €7,200 per annum (2023), according to Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples(IPREM).

    What is the Procedure for Applying for the EU Registry Certificate in Spain?

    Applying for an EU Registry Certificate can be overwhelming, so it’s essential to understand what’s involved. You must be aware of the detailed process beforehand to smoothen out your experience.

    To start the application process, you must visit the immigration office that corresponds to your residence in person or the nearest police station. It is important to note that you must schedule an appointment online before you visit.

    You will fill out your application form and attach the required documents. The staff there may ask you to submit one original and one copy of each document. They might ask you some basic questions.

    After submitting your application, you will wait for the acceptance. Your application will be approved in a few days if you fulfill all the requirements. Enjoy your residence and come back after 5 years to renew your certificate.

    How Can You Get an EU Registry Certificate for Your family?

    Many Europeans who move to Spain choose to do so with their relatives because the immigration laws make it easy for them. There are two options for this process.

    The process is relatively simple if the family member is from the EU. They just need to apply for an EU registration certificate.

    If the family member is from outside of the EU, they need to apply for a residence permit as a family member of a European Union citizen.

    The conditions and requirements for a non-EU relative will vary depending on the reason for the EU citizen’s stay in Spain. For example, if you are an EU citizen student, you can bring your children, spouse or civil partner, or your spouse’s children.

    If you will be working, either as an employee or self-employed, you may also bring disabled family members over 21 years of age and direct ascendants from both your own family and your spouse’s family.

    This is true as long as they depend on EU citizens for their living costs, such as rent, food, and electricity. This dependence must be proven through regular money transfers.

    In addition, documentation must be provided to prove the kinship relationship, legalised, and translated into Spanish.

    In the case of a marriage or civil partnership, the relationship must be registered in Spain at the Civil Registry first, and a joint census must be submitted demonstrating cohabitation in Spain (the minimum duration will depend on the autonomous community in question).

    Secure your family’s future in Spain with an EU Registry Certificate. Contact us for assistance.

    Fees for the EU Registry Certificate

    The fee for obtaining an EU Registry certificate is set at 12 euros. Payment of this fee is a mandatory requirement for the completion of the registration process.

    This fee is to be paid by all citizens of European Union member states or states party to the European Economic Area agreement who are planning to reside in Spain for over three months and wish to register in the Central Register of Foreigners.

    It is important to note that additional charges may be related to submitting documents, such as photocopies or translations, or other processing fees associated with the application.

    Processing Time

    If you understand the entire process, you may have this document within 24 hours after applying.

    It is also important to note that delays in submitting required documentation or failure to meet specific criteria may prolong the processing time.

    It is best to consult with the relevant authorities or immigration experts for the most accurate information for your specific case.

    How Can IAS Help You?

    Embark on a journey to fulfilling your dreams of living abroad by obtaining an EU Registry Certificate in Spain. At IAS, our immigration experts guide you every step of the way, making the application process a breeze.

    With the most up-to-date information and updates on the EU Registry certificate application process, we will empower you to navigate the process confidently.

    Our dedicated team of experts will hold your hand and ensure that your application is completed accurately and on time while providing insights on common pitfalls so you can approach yours with poise and grace.

    Don’t let the fear of the unknown hold you back. Take the first step towards realising your aspirations, and contact IAS today at (+44) 333 4149244 or online to learn more about our services.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    It’s important to remember that EU Registry Certificates in Spain expire after five years. To renew your certificate, you must complete the same process as before and pay the associated fees.

    To apply for a renewal, you must submit the following:

    • The original EU Registry Certificate
    • A photocopy of the ID card of the applicant
    • An application form (available online)
    • A recent extract from the Central Register of Companies
    • The previous or current tax return or income statement
    • The updated registration fee

    Once your application is reviewed, you may receive a new EU Registry Certificate with a new expiration date. Now the new certificate is valid for 10 years.

    You are eligible for Spanish nationality after living there for ten years. The time starts with the issuance of the European Union Registry Certificate. You are required to apply for nationality after completing 10 years.

    If your EU registry certificate application is denied, it is important to review the reasons for the denial and address any issues or errors in your application. You may also consider seeking advice from an immigration lawyer or the Immigration Advice Service (IAS) to understand your rights and options better. You can also appeal the decision by submitting a request to the relevant authorities within the timeframe specified in the decision. It is also possible to reapply for the EU registry certificate after addressing the issues that led to the denial of your initial application.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us