Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Employee Visa

If you wish to work in Spain as a foreigner, consider applying for the Spanish Work Visa. Learn the requirements for working in Spain as well as the step-by-step process for applying for a visa.

In order to have a successful application for your Spanish Working Visa, call us on (+44) 333 4149244 for quick assistance and support with your situation.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of Spain Work Visa

    If you are not a citizen of the EU or the EEA, you will need to get a residence and work permit in order to be able to live and work in Spain.

    There are several sorts of work permits for various occupations and durations of employment. The following are some of the most frequent visas that enable you to live and work in Spain.

    • Employee Visa or Work Visa, also known as work permits, are issued to professionals with high levels of education.
    • Seasonal Work Visa is for seasonal and limited work with a maximum duration of nine months.
    • Self Employed Work Visa will let you reside and work in Spain for a duration of one year by being an entrepreneur.
    • European Blue Card – with the exception of  Ireland, Denmark, and the United Kingdom, this work and residence visa enables highly talented non-EU professionals to live and work in any European nation, including Spain.
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Spain Work Visa for Employee "Por Cuenta Ajena"

    Employee Visa is intended for those who have already received a favourable job offer in Spain. “Por cuenta ajena” is the name given in Spanish to the work permit required to work as an employee.

    Finding a job offer from a Spanish business is the first stage in the process. A business must be eager to recruit you in order to begin the application process. You are unable to submit an application for a Work Visa in Spain without a document from the employer. If the necessary requirements are still satisfied the following year, the residence permit for this Work Visa is valid for an additional year.

    If you are a citizen of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, living and working in Spain is quite simple. You may remain in the nation for a maximum of three months without notifying the authorities or registering. You are just needed to possess a valid national identity card or passport, which you must provide to the authorities upon request. If your nation is not in Europe, a visa is required.

    Requirements of The Employee Work Visa

    During the start of the application procedure, you are not allowed to be physically present in Spain.

    Being in a position that is against the law in Spain will prevent you from passing the application process successfully. This indicates that you should not accept a job offer if you get one while you are in Spain since it would be inappropriate. The foreign worker must be in a legal status in the nation from which he or she originated in order to be eligible for a Work Visa in the country where they will be doing their jobs.

    The employment category that has been made available to you is one that is on the list of Shortage Occupations.

    INEM (Instituto Nacional de Empleo) or The National Employment Office is the organisation that puts out that list (the Public Service of State Employment). It includes all of the job openings to which you will have unrestricted access after you have identified an appropriate employment opportunity.

    What is a Preferential Regime?

    There are two requirements for you to fulfil before you can take advantage of what is known as a preferential regime, it indicates that you may bypass the shortage occupation list and begin working in professions that are not on the list.

    • When none of the citizens of Spain or other EU countries has accepted an offer of employment for a specific job, it becomes available for non-EU citizens.
    • If you are the child or spouse of a person who is legally allowed to live and work in Spain, or if your parent is already a resident of the country, you can work in Spain without applying for an Employee Visa.

    Required Documents to Apply for an Employee Visa

    The documents needed to apply for an Employee Visa, this visa also covers seasonal work activities:

    • The application form for the national visa. A visa application must be filled out in its entirety, including with the applicant’s signature, before it can be submitted.
    • Photograph. A recent colour image that is passport-sized and shot against a bright backdrop with the subject looking forward. The subject should not be wearing glasses that are black or reflecting, nor should they be wearing any clothing that covers the oval of their face.
    • Valid, current passport. Both the original and a photocopy of the passport page or pages that include the biometric information must be presented. The passport must have a minimum validity length of four months (in the event of a temporary contract, the validity period must meet the duration of the contract) and have two blank pages.
    • The Consulate will keep the applicant’s passport throughout the processing of their application; after the procedure is complete, the passport will be sent and returned to the owner. In addition to the required paperwork for applying for a visa, applicants need to give a pre-paid special delivery envelope that includes their complete name and address.
    • A copy of the “Autorización de residencia y trabajo por cuenta ajena” document. It is required that the application for the visa be filed no later than one month from the notice of the authorisation issued to the employer.
    • Work contract.  A copy of the work contract with the Foreign Nationals’ Office’s stamp.
    • Criminal record check document. Applicants who are of legal age are required to present both the original and a copy of any certificates for background checks on criminal records that have been granted by their country or countries of residency over the preceding five years. Legalisation or apostille of foreign papers is required, and when appropriate, they must also be accompanied by an official Spanish translation. This certificate cannot have an expiry date that is more than three months in the past, unless the certificate itself specifies a longer validity period.
    • Documents proving residency in the consular district. The applicant must show evidence of legal residency in the consular area. Please check the appropriate online area of this Consulate to confirm your consular district.
    • Medical certification. Original and a copy of a medical certificate certifying that the applicant is free of any illness that might have major consequences for public health, as defined by the 2005 International Health Regulations. Foreign papers must be legalised or apostilled and, if required, accompanied by an official translation into Spanish.
    • Provide evidence of the representative’s identity and authority. If the applicant is a minor, they will be required to show originals and copies of the identification document or passport of one of their parents, as well as the evidence of the relationship document. Foreign papers must be legalised or apostilled and, if necessary, provided with an authentic Spanish translation.
    • Payment of the visa application fee.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on Employee Visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Employee Visa Cost

      Visa fee payment is required and must be done at the same time as the visa application. The charge must be paid in the local currency, and it fluctuates often owing to currency fluctuations. An Employed Work Visa costs € 60 – € 160.

      Employee Visa Application Process

      First, your employer submits an application for a work permit to the provincial office of the Ministry of Labor and Immigration (Delegación Provincial del Ministerio del Trabajo e Inmigración) on your behalf.

      There, after delivering the original request, they will get a copy of the document bearing the institution’s stamp. The employer must mail you the paperwork, and you must take it to the embassy in your country of origin.

      The regional office of the Ministry of Labor is informed that your application has been received by the local embassy in your area. The consulate will have three months to provide a legitimate answer to your application after receiving the original application paper (sealed), and the other needed documents.

      Your Employee Visa may be obtained via the Spanish Embassy in your country of residence.

      Employee Visa Renewal

      The Employee Visa allows you to work and live in the nation for one year, with the possibility to renew and extend your stay. Contributions to social security for a minimum of six months are required for renewal. This period need not be documented consecutively, but it must total six months. You must verify that the contractual arrangement that allowed you to get the work permit is still in place. You must bring the work contract and your TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad) or a foreigner ID card.

      Spain Work Visa for Seasonal Workers

      The Seasonal Visa permits you to work in Spain for a certain amount of time, usually a couple of months. Type A work permits are valid for seasonal and restricted labour for a maximum of nine months, including renewals.

      It’s expected that seasonal worker recruitment will be subject to quotas. Individuals from countries outside the EU with which Spain has signed bilateral agreements will be given priority.

      A Seasonal Work Visa costs € 73- € 550.

      For assistance with Employee Visa, get in touch with us today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Requirements for a Seasonal Worker Visa

        Criteria needed to qualify for a seasonal Work Visa:

        • You have agreed to terms with a Spanish corporation and signed a contract with them.
        • You are provided with suitable residential.
        • Your travel costs are reimbursed. After the conclusion of the seasonal contract, you will be required to go back to your own country.

        Application Procedure to Obtain Seasonal Work Visa

        Here’s the application procedure to apply for the Seasonal Work Visa:

        • You are successful in securing a contract with an employer in Spain.
        • Your employer submits an application for a work permit to the provincial office of the Ministry of Labor and Immigration (Delegación Provincial del Ministerio del Trabajo e Inmigración) on your behalf.
        • The Provincial Aliens Affairs Office will issue the residence permit in combination with the work permit after the work permit has been approved. This happens once the work permit has been authorised.
        • You will be given a copy of the application for the visa.
        • You provide a copy of the visa application to the Spanish embassy in your area so that they may process your visa request.
        • The regional office of the Ministry of Labor is informed that your application has been received by the local embassy in your area.
        • Your application will be processed by the regional office of the Ministry of Labor and Industries.
        • Your Work Visa may be obtained via the Spanish Embassy in your country of residence.

        Visa Refusal

        Visa refusals shall always be communicated in writing, including the reasons behind the decision. When a visa application is denied, the applicant will always get written notification of the decision, which will include an explanation of the rationale behind the decision.

        If a visa is rejected, the applicant may file an appeal for reconsideration with this Consular Office within one month of receiving notification of the rejection. A judicial review application may also be submitted with the High Court Justice of Madrid during the 2-month period commencing the day after the applicant receives information of the visa rejection.

        Validity Period of The Visa

        The length of time that the visa is valid depends on the length of the contract; if the contract is a year, the Work Visa will be valid for three months. After arriving in Spain, the worker is required to first register with the Social Security system before starting their work activity. Within one month of registering with the Social Security system, the worker is also required to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card at either the Foreign Nationals’ Office or the corresponding police station.

        If the work contract is for seasonal work, then the visa is valid for the entire period in which the candidate is authorised to reside and work in Spain, and it won’t be required to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card upon arriving in Spain. If the work contract is for permanent work, then the visa is valid for the entire period in which the applicant is authorised to reside and work in Spain.

        If you have any questions about Employee Visa, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Bring Family Members Using a Work Visa

          Employees who have lived and worked in the nation for a year and have had a residence permit for another year are eligible to apply for a family reunification permit. Then, family members may work without a work permit.

          If you have been living lawfully in Spain for less than a year, you are not permitted to reunite with members of your family. You need to get your residency permit renewed. In addition to this, and as a general rule, you will be required to provide evidence that the family member you want to bring to Spain is financially dependent on you.

          How can IAS Help?

          Non-EU nationals who have a job offer from a company headquartered in Spain and satisfy the visa criteria are eligible for the Employee Visa. There are many opportunities available for people who get jobs in Spain. The country ranks well among OECD nations for work-life balance.

          You will get a temporary residence permit using this visa for as long as you want to reside and work in Spain. Regulations pertaining to Work Visas, residence, and permits in Spain require professional guidance since they differ depending on the country in which a foreign citizen resides.

          Our team members have been trained to do research on the most up-to-date information on Spanish Visas and work permits.

          For more information about the services we offer and how we can help you with your work contract, required documents, or the Spain Employee Visa application process, reach out to us on (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online today.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    The Spanish government will enable anyone who has worked for at least six months during that period to enrol in training programs. These training programs will focus mostly on occupations in Spain’s high-demand economic sector. Those who enrol in these training programs are subsequently eligible to seek permanent residence.

                    You are allowed to change both your employment position and the firm that you are working for during the first phase of your residence and work permit.

                    After arriving in Spain, EU citizens are required to register at the municipal office in the town or city in which they want to live, get a tax number, and apply for a social security number. Non-EU citizens are required to register at the office for foreigners, and get a social security number and TIE, which already includes a tax identification number, before working in the country.