- What is the Spain Transit Visa for Seafarers?
- Which Documents Do You Need to Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
- How Do You Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
- Where Do You Need To Submit Your Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers Application?
- When Should You Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
- How Long Does It Take To Receive The Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
- How Long Is The Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers Valid For?
- How Can IAS Help?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Spain Transit Visa for Seafarers?
The Transit Schengen Visa for Seafarers allows seamen from certain countries to come to the Schengen area for a short stay. They are granted a visa if they intend to:
- Join a vessel that is or that will be at a port in the Schengen area.
- Land at a Schengen port and join another vessel.
- Quickly disembark their vessel due to sickness, urgent matters, or the end of a contract, etc.
So, with this visa, the holder can either remain in or travel through Spain.
Which Documents Do You Need to Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
You will need the following documents for your Transit Visa to Spain:
- A visa application form, which has to be filled in and then signed by the person applying.
- A valid passport that will still be valid for 3 months after you leave Spain.
- Two passport-size photos that have been taken recently. The pictures must comply with Schengen visa application photo rules.
- Copies of the data pages from your passport.
- Your original Seaman’s book, as well as a photocopy of it.
- A letter from the shipping company you will be travelling with.
- The letter needs to include the name, nationality, and date and place of birth of the seaman.
- Also, there should be information about their role on the ship.
- The letter should cite the date and port of entry in Spain, as well as the date of return and country the ship is returning to.
- Travel medical insurance that covers the entire Schengen area. It must cover a minimum of €30,000.
- Your flight reservation if you are planning to fly to Spain.
- The employment contract with the ship you are planning to board.
- Proof that you have paid your visa fee.
All these documents are essential for your Transit Visa application. If your application is incomplete, it is likely to be rejected by the Spanish authorities reviewing your application.
How Do You Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
Before applying for a Transit Visa to transit through or stay in Spain, you should check that you need to hold this visa. You may wish to consult an immigration expert if you are unclear on whether you need to apply for the visa. If you do, here are the steps to apply for the Transit Visa.
You must fully complete your visa application form and prepare all the documents you need for the visa. Make sure you have all the documents, as an incomplete application is likely to be unsuccessful.
You will then have to set an appointment to hand in all the documents for your application.
After the appointment, if the application is successful, you have to pay the visa fee. Generally, this fee costs €60.
Where Do You Need To Submit Your Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers Application?
If you intend on staying in or transiting through Spain, you will need to submit the visa application at a Spanish building.
Your different options are a Spanish embassy, a Spanish consulate, or a visa application centre that submits visa applications for Spain.
If you are unable to access any of these buildings, there are also embassies and consulates representing other countries where you may be able to submit your visa application. This does not mean, however, that all embassies and consulates will accept to submit your visa application to Spain.
When Should You Apply For A Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
In order to receive your visa in time, you should submit the visa application at least 15 days before you plan on travelling to the Schengen area. This means that you should start your visa application process before the 15-day period.
We always recommend that you apply for visas early, but bear in mind that you can’t apply for the Transit Schengen Visa more than 3 months before you plan to travel.
How Long Does It Take To Receive The Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers?
It usually takes around two weeks to process a Transit Schengen Visa for Seafarers application.
When backlogs occur at application centres due to strong demand for the visa, wait times can extend up to 30 or 60 days. This is why we recommend you apply for your Transit Visa to Spain as early as possible to avoid any complications.
How Long Is The Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers Valid For?
If you plan to stay in or transit through Spain, your visa is valid for up to 5 days. During the validity of your Transit Visa for Seafarers, you are allowed to transit through the Schengen area, travelling from one Schengen port to the other.
If you plan on travelling to other Schengen countries, it is recommended that you make this clear beforehand. This means that you should list the countries you are passing through in your travel itinerary.
Remember, however, that the visa does not let you travel as you wish. You cannot just travel to the Schengen country of your choice. The transit visa is only valid for staying temporarily in a Schengen port or for transfer from one port to the other.
Transit Visas for Seafarers to Spain can seem like they are simple to apply for, since the processing times are comparatively short and the fees are lower than for other visas.
These visas require a very specific set of documents to be accepted by Spanish authorities, however. Forgetting one of these important documents can cause your visa application to Spain to be unsuccessful, meaning that you are not allowed to come transit through the country.
At IAS, we understand that all the documents you need to provide can sometimes be unclear and overwhelming. That’s why we have a team of dedicated and highly-qualified immigration lawyers who will support you in your application to transit through Spain.
The support you can expect from the Immigration Advice Service team includes:
- one-to-one communication, on Skype, over the phone, or even in person;
- a thorough check of the validity of all your documents;
- a Letter of Representation from our lawyers with your application;
- the assurance that your application will be complete to the highest standard.
IAS is known for its high success rate with visa applications, as your dedicated lawyers are highly experienced in immigration law. To apply for a Transit Visa for Seafarers to Spain, contact IAS online, or on (+44) 333 4149244 for professional advice or assistance from lawyers.
Last modified on July 18th, 2023 at 8:55 am
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.
No, this transit visa is only valid for a short stay in Spain, letting people stay up to 5 days in the country.
There are currently no covid vaccination restrictions to come to Spain. Only people coming from China need to have proof of vaccination.
The bulk of applications for Spain Transit Visas for Seafarers come from the Philippines and Indonesia.
No, visa fees can differ based on the country you are coming from. Make sure you are clearly aware of the fees you will have to pay before applying.