Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

UK Shortage Occupation List 2023

The UK Shortage Occupation list (SOL) makes it easier for employers with a Skilled Worker Sponsor License to get the points required to sponsor workers from overseas under the UK Skilled Worker Visa. Skilled Worker Visa applicants with the required skills and experience for jobs on the list can be granted certain exemptions for their visa applications.

To make sure you get the right experts to help you with meeting the UK Occupation List requirements for a Skilled Worker Visa,  reach out to IAS at 0333 305 9375 or contact us online.


How Does the UK Shortage Occupation List Work?

The UK Shortage Occupation List is an important list that defines the types of jobs that are in short supply in the UK. The UK immigration rules for work visas are relaxed for jobs on the SOL, making it easier for workers with the required skills and experience to immigrate to the UK. It is important to note that there is a different occupation list for healthcare workers and education workers. Even if an occupation is not on the list, it can be possible to get a visa for a foreign worker. It is no longer necessary to show a shortage to get approval to sponsor overseas workers.

The salaries for the jobs are based on a 39-hour working week. For other working patterns, they must be pro-rated. In certain cases, the UKVI may delay your application and ask for additional information.

Each job on the list has an occupation code and specific skills required for the jobs. If you do not know the job occupation code for the work you are looking for, you can use the ONS occupation coding tool to find the job.

Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) and its Role in the Shortage Occupation List

MAC Origins and Purpose

The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) advises the UK government on immigration issues. Its advice is meant to be independent and evidence-based. Requests are made periodically to the MAC from the UK government for recommendations on which jobs should be placed on SOL.

The Migration Advisory Committee was commissioned to carry out a rapid assessment of the Shortage Occupation List for the construction and hospitality industries. It recommended 5 roles to be added to the list in relation to the construction industry.

A full review of the MAC should be completed later this year. Regular reviews are also planned to be completed in the future to make sure that the immigration system is more responsive to the needs of businesses and agile.

How the MAC Affects the UK Shortage Occupation List

Some of the main factors the MAC considers when deciding on which jobs to add to the list are:

  1. Is the occupation in shortage?
  2. Would it be sensible to fill the shortages with migrant workers?

Jobs do not remain indefinitely on the SOL. If you want a specific job to be put in the SOL, you should submit evidence for the need for inclusion and it must meet the MAC’s indicators of labour market conditions for the use of migrant workers.

Requests can be made to have new jobs added to the list of companies. There is no guarantee that roles stay indefinitely on the Shortage Occupation List. Some roles that were previously on the list prior to April 2023 and have since been removed include:

  • Chief executives and senior officials
  • Production managers and directors in construction
  • Production managers and directors in manufacturing
  • Production managers and directors in mining and energy
  • Financial managers and directors
  • Marketing and sales directors
  • Purchasing managers and directors
  • Advertising and public relations directors
  • Human resource managers and directors
  • Information technology and telecommunications directors
  • Functional managers and directors n.e.c.
  • Financial institution managers and directors
  • Managers and directors in transport and distribution
  • Senior police officers

Changes to the Shortage Occupation List and Eligibility Requirements

The list changes depending on the needs of the UK economy. This explains recent decisions to add certain roles to the list. Vacancies rose sharply for construction and hospitality in relation to pre-pandemic levels. In hospitality, vacancies rose by 72% while vacancies in the construction sector rose by 65%. This is significantly larger than the increase of 42% in the overall economy.

It is expected that these roles will be added to the list before the summer recess in July 2023:

  • 5312 (Bricklayers and masons)
  • 5313 (Roofers, roof tilers, and slaters)
  • 5315 (Carpenters and joiners)
  • 5319 (Construction and building trades not elsewhere classified)
  • 5321 (Plasterers)

The addition of these roles could help reduce the salary thresholds and application fees for shortage application workers. Employers would benefit from having a wider scope to sponsor overseas workers in a greater range of roles than before.

A more relaxed approach has been taken to the list and requirements as the government tries to encourage companies to access the Universal job market. In March 2023, the government revealed plans to ease access to visas to help with labour shortages. The new system involved the removal of the Resident Labour Market and the suspension of the cap on skilled worker visas.

Benefits of Being on the UK Shortage Occupation List

There are different benefits to a job being on the Shortage Occupation List.

  • Permission to work a second job if a role is on the Shortage Occupation List
  • 20 points may be tradeable against a salary that is up to 20% below the minimum salary threshold (£20,480 in most cases) as long as the role isn’t subject to national pay scales and no other reduction applies.
  • Only 80% of the usual going rate needs to be paid for listed occupations as lower salary rates may be paid for jobs that come under the skilled workers shortage occupation list.
  • Lower Home Office Visa Application fee
  • Potential exemption from immigration skills charge

Need to sponsor an employee or get a UK work visa? Contact our immigration lawyers today to get the help you need.

Shortage Occupation List 2023

Occupation codeJob types included on the shortage occupations listSkill level
1181Health services and public health managers and directors – all jobsRQF 6
1242Residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors – all jobsRQF 4
2111Chemical scientists – only jobs in the nuclear industryPhD
2112Biological scientists and biochemists – all jobsPhD
2113Physical scientists – only these jobs in the construction-related ground engineering industry:engineering geologisthydrogeologistgeophysicistPhD
2113Physical scientists – only these jobs in the oil and gas industry:GeophysicistGeoscientistGeologistGeochemist technical services manager in the decommissioning and waste areas of the nuclear industrysenior resource geologist and staff geologist in the mining sectorPhD
2114Social and humanities scientists – only archaeologistsPhD
2121Civil engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2122Mechanical engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2123Electrical engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2124Electronics engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2126Design and development engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2127Production and process engineers – all jobsRQF 6
2129Engineering professionals not elsewhere classified – all jobsRQF 6
2135IT business analysts, architects and systems designers – all jobsRQF 6
2136Programmers and software development professionals – all jobsRQF 6
2137Web design and development professionals – all jobsRQF 6
2139Information technology and communications professionals not elsewhere classified – only cyber security specialistsRQF 6
2216Veterinarians – all jobsRQF 6
2425Actuaries, economists and statisticians – only bioinformaticians and informaticiansRQF 6
2431Architects – all jobsRQF 6
2461Quality control and planning engineers – all jobsRQF 6
3111Laboratory technicians – all jobsRQF 3
3411Artists – all jobsRQF 4
3414Dancers and choreographers – only skilled classical ballet dancers or skilled contemporary dancers who meet the standard required by internationally recognised UK ballet or contemporary dance companies.The company must be endorsed as being internationally recognised by a UK industry body such as the Arts Councils (of England, Scotland or Wales).RQF 4
3415Musicians – only skilled orchestral musicians who are leaders, principals, sub-principals or numbered string positions, and who meet the standard required by internationally recognised UK orchestras.The orchestra must be a full member of the Association of British Orchestras.RQF 6
3416Arts officers, producers and directors – all jobsRQF 6
3421Graphic designers – all jobsRQF 3
5215Welding trades – only high integrity pipe welders, where the job requires 3 or more years’ related on-the-job experience. Experience may be gained from illegally working.RQF3/Lower-skilled
6145Care workers and home carers – private households or individuals (other than sole traders sponsoring someone to work for their business) cannot sponsor Skilled Worker applicantsRQF3/Lower-skilled
6146Senior care workers – all jobsRQF3/Lower-skilled

How IAS Can Help

Our team of experienced lawyers and immigration experts have a deep understanding of the Shortage Occupation List. The team has helped a variety of clients and companies of different sizes to successfully complete the Skilled Worker Visa application process.

With the recent changes taking place to the criteria for Shortage Occupation List and the Skilled Worker Visa, it is more important than ever for people looking to move to the UK on the Skilled Worker Visa to rely on experts who understand the details of the Shortage Occupation List.

Expert lawyers at IAS can guide you through the Shortage Occupation List and provide the assistance needed to solve immigration challenges.

If you would like to get additional information about visa renewal, our advisers and lawyers can help you. Please call us on 0333 305 9375, or contact us online today.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Frequently Asked Questions

The job role does not have to be on the SOL for you to apply for the Skilled Worker Visa. However, to successfully apply for the Skilled Worker Visa, you will need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

There are other requirements that those who want to move to the UK on a Skilled Worker Visa would need to consider. Such requirements include having a minimum amount of money in the bank to sustain yourself in the UK, English language proficiency, and having skills that are at least equivalent to RQF Level 3 (similar to A Level qualifications in the UK).

Visa holders are usually given some time to stay in the UK before their permission to remain ends. The Home Office exercises discretion when making decisions on the remaining validity period of a visa holder’s stay, following the end of employment while on the visa.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us