Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

How to Make Changes to a Certificate of Sponsorship Once Assigned

A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is an electronic record a foreign worker can use to make a visa application, so the information needs to be entered accurately. A Sponsor Licence holder must ensure all CoS details are correct, as a live Defined CoS cannot be amended once assigned.

For further information and step-by-step guidance regarding CoS applications, your Sponsor Licence, and how to amend a Defined CoS, speak to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at IAS on +44 (0)333 305 9375 today.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS for Your Sponsor Licence Needs

    Our dedicated UK corporate immigration lawyers deliver our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach suited to fit each business client that we work with.

    We can assist you in getting a UK Sponsor Licence, generating a certificate of sponsorship, and applying for a work visa for your employee. Whether this is your first application, your initial application was refused, or you were found to not be compliant in the past, we can help.

    With a successful track record, IAS eases the process for you so you can focus on other parts of your business. Here are more things you enjoy by working with us:

    Our lawyers will assess your Sponsor Licence case 1-1 to understand its unique aspects.

    We provide customised guidance for Sponsor Licence applications to increase chances of approval.

    We assist with maintaining compliance with the UK government’s rules for employing overseas workers.

    Our team offers detailed assistance in making any critical changes to the sponsor management system.

    Regardless of what your business immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Can You Make Changes to a Certificate of Sponsorship?

    The employment details on a CoS need to match the skilled worker’s application for a Skilled Worker Visa or Specialist Worker Visa, so it is crucial to ensure it is correct.

    Defined CoS that has been assigned and submitted cannot be amended; however, if you have entered an incorrect piece of information that is considered a minor error, you can leave a comment using the Sponsorship Management System (SMS).

    As the CoS is an important record it is vital to ensure you follow the correct guidance. Reach out to an immigration specialist if you have any concerns.

    For guidance on CoS – speak to one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

    Amending Details on Certificate of Sponsorship

    Minor errors can be amended after a CoS has been assigned; however, if any main details are incorrect, then the Sponsor Licence holder will need to cancel the certificate and assign a new one.

    Minor details that can be amended on a Defined CoS include:

    •  Mistyped name of the Skilled Worker Visa applicant
    •  Incorrect date of birth

    Main errors cannot be amended on a Defined CoS, such as the following:

    • The CoS code has been entered incorrectly
    • Assigning a defined CoS under the wrong tier or category
    • Incorrect information has been entered for more than one of the migrant’s employment details, such as nationality, date of birth and surname

    A Level 1 user can view and change details on all certificates of sponsorship assigned to sponsored workers through the SMS. Level 2 users can only view and add a sponsor note to certificates they have personally entered.

    To amend details before the submission of a CoS, Sponsor Licence holders will need to follow the following steps on the SMS:

    1. Log into the SMS.
    2. On the Home Screen click on ‘Workers’
    3. From the ‘Workers’ screen, select ‘Sponsorship Duties’
    4. From ‘Sponsorship Duties’ select ‘Manage Live Certificates’
    5. Input the details of the CoS you wish to add a note to and click ‘Next’
    6. From the ‘Manage Live Certificate’ screen, make sure you have selected the correct certificate and click ‘Sponsor Note’ at the bottom of the page.
    7. On the ‘Edit Sponsor Note’ screen, enter information in the ‘Sponsor note’ field and click ‘Save’. The Saved CoS screen should be displayed.

    Do I Need to Withdraw My Certificate Of Sponsorship if I Have Made a Mistake?

    A Defined CoS will need to be withdrawn if you make any of the significant errors mentioned previously. When you cancel a CoS and assign a new one, you will be required to pay the relevant fee for a new CoS, which is £239 for a CoS assigned for more than 12 months, and £25 for temporary workers on a Skilled Worker Visa.

    Sponsored Employee Changed Role Within the Organisation. What Do I Do?

    If a sponsored migrant worker on a Tier 2 Visa changes to a new role, the Sponsor Licence holder and sponsored employee may be required to make a change employment application.

    Before making this application, Sponsor Licence holders must issue a new CoS detailing the new rol, and carry out right to work checks.

    There are some circumstances in which you will not need to complete a change of employment application; such as if the sponsored worker:

    • Is remaining under your employment
    • Will be receiving an increased salary
    • Is covered by TUPE protection or similar protection if the company is sold, and the occupation code is the same as the previous employer
    • Has been employed on a graduate training programme and will be working in more than one role within the company
    • Is an international sportsperson who has sponsorship from a sports club and is moving to another sports club under a loan arrangement authorised by the sport’s governing body
    • Is under sponsorship from the Government Authorised Exchange route or Seasonal Worker visa route, and the change of role has been authorised by the sponsor and is otherwise authorised under immigration rules

    Sponsor Licence holders will need to report these changes to the UK Visas and Immigration division of the Home Office. If you are unsure whether a change of employment is required, or how to withdraw an assigned CoS, or check CoS status, speak to an immigration lawyer on +44 (0)333 305 9375, and we will advise you on your situation.

    Sponsored Employee Left the Organisation: What Now?

    When a sponsored employee leaves an organisation, or no longer needs sponsoring as they have obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain Status, the CoS is cancelled.

    In this case, the UK sponsor is legally required to report the termination of sponsorship to the Home Office’s UK Visas and Immigration department within 10 working days. A CoS cannot be transferred to a new job role or employer.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Assigning a CoS can be a complicated and time-consuming process. If you have any queries regarding your CoS, Sponsor Licence, Sponsor Licence compliance, or skilled worker visa applicants, don’t hesitate to request advice from our legal team.

    Our immigration lawyers have years of experience in the field and will be able to assist you every step of the way to ensure that you are fully complying with your Sponsor Licence duties. Call us for professional assistance today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact IAS online for immediate step-by-step guidance.

    We have helped countless employers with overcoming hurdles when hiring overseas workers, and we are here to help you too. Our trusted in-house lawyers are on hand waiting for your call

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Once a CoS has been assigned, it has a unique number which is used by the sponsored worker when applying for their Skilled Worker Visa. A CoS is valid for 90 days after it is issued.

    A CoS Can be withdrawn. To withdraw a CoS through the SMS, you will need to search for the CoS and select ‘Withdraw CoS’ from the Manage Live CoS Screen. To cancel the withdrawal, select ‘Back’.

    For a sponsored worker to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, the sponsor must first assign a CoS. There are two types of CoS –  a Defined CoS and an Undefined CoS.

    Defined Certificates are immigration documents that authorise UK employers to hire skilled foreign workers temporarily. Undefined Certificates are assigned to individuals switching to the Skilled Worker category from within the UK.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us