Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

Moving to the UK from Australia

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Moving to the UK from Australia

    With the number of Australian nationals choosing to emigrate increasing each year, the number of those moving to England from Australia has also gone up.

    For many Australians, the UK offers competitive study opportunities as well as more job prospects. This is especially the case for industries like Engineering or Healthcare. Depending on where in Australia you live, your visa application process may vary. For example, the process of emigrating from Adelaide or Hobart is different to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or Canberra.

    Whether you are interested in moving from Austrailia to the UK for business, work, study or family reasons, our team of specialist immigration advisers can help. The following information has been compiled to offer advice for those looking for advice on how to move to England or elsewhere in the UK.

    moving to uk from australia
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews
    TrustPilot Logo
    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

      Fill out the form

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Appeal Package

            We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.

              Frequently Asked Questions

              If you are applying for a UK visa from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or Canberra, you can submit your visa from your nearest visa application centre once you have submitted your biometric information.

              If you are applying from Adelaide or Hobart, you can submit your application by post once you have been to your nearest centre.

              In both application processes, you will be required to attend a visa application centre, where you will be asked to give your biometric information, including having your fingerprints scanned. This is essential if you want to submit an application for a UK visa from Australia.

              If you have any relatives who currently reside in the UK with British Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain, you may be eligible to make an application for a Family of a Settled Person Visa when looking into moving to England from Australia.

              This visa lets you move to the UK for a period of six months or more, for a maximum of 33 months. After this time you can apply to extend your visa. The requirements for this type of visa are stricter than other visa types.

              To be eligible you must be:

              • Over the age of 18
              • Able to prove that your relationship with your relative is genuine and legitimate
              • Living with the person during your stay (who must have enough space for you)

              If your spouse, civil partner or long-term partner is living in the UK, you may be able to join them with a Spouse/Partner Visa.

              A Spouse Visa allows you to work when in the UK, provided you remain in the relationship with your spouse or partner.

              To be eligible you must be:

              • Able to prove that your relationship with your partner is ‘genuine and subsisting’
              • Able to provide proof of your marriage or civil partnership, if you are a spouse
              • Able to provide proof that you have been living together and in a relationship for at least two years, if you are an unmarried partner 
              • Able to meet the minimum income requirement of £18, 600 per annum.

              There are three primary types of Work Visa which will allow you to undergo the process of moving from Australia to UK for work.

              Tier 2 Work Visas allow you to enter the UK for permanent, skilled work for a maximum period of five years.

              Tier 5 Temporary Work allow you enter the UK for temporary, skilled work for a maximum period of 24 months.

              Both visa types are measured on the points-based-system. To make an application for either visa types, you will need:

              • A job offer from a UK employment with a Sponsor Licence
              • A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from this employer
              • Proof that you have enough money to financially support yourself during your travels to the UK and before you receive your first paycheck

              If you are a very highly-skilled individual, you may be able to enter the UK using a Global Talent Visa.

              To be eligible for this type of visa, you will need to be exceptionally talented in your field of expertise and sponsored by a regulated institution, such as an arts body.

              As an Australian citizen, your visa application will not be affected by Brexit as far as is currently known.

              The immigration regulations which are currently set for Australian nationals will remain the same and it is likely that citizens from EU countries will be most affected by changes.