Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Visas to the UK from Sweden

If you are a Swedish national looking to move to the UK, you will need to apply for a UK visa in order to emigrate.

For more information on moving to the UK, including what you have to do to be eligible and for expert advice on your best options, reach out to one of our immigration advisers today. Call us on (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online.


Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS’ Immigration Lawyers

    At IAS, we understand that every case and client is unique, so we provide bespoke assessment and support to each client. With us, you get a dedicated immigration lawyer who is dedicated to ensuring your application is successful. Enjoy the following benefits with IAS:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    A personalised Letter of Representation to help compile a compelling case for approval

    Continued support from your lawyer in the event of any complications.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Overview of Moving to the UK from Sweden

    The Swedish community in the UK is one of the largest in the world, only coming behind the US, Norway and Finland in terms of pure numbers.

    Swedish immigration to the UK has a long history stretching back well over a thousand years. The origins can be traced back to initial Viking invasions of Great Britain of the 8th and 9th centuries, followed by the Norman invasions.

    As a result of this large-scale historic migration, many people in the UK still retain some kind of Norse heritage. Native Swedes from Modern day Sweden are also well-represented in the UK, with many Swedes in the 19th and 20th centuries stopping over in British port cities before continuing on to the US by ship.

    The main concentration of Swedes in the UK today is in London and the south-east of England, with some additional presence in the north, such as Liverpool and Middlesbrough.

    The UK remains a popular destination for Swedes to move to, and there are a wide range of immigration routes and options available for those who wish to make the move.

    UK Work Visas for Swedes

    One of the most popular and common ways to move to the UK is through one of its many work visas.

    Of these, the most popular is the Skilled Worker visa, which is the UK’s general work visa for most skilled and professional workers.

    The Skilled Worker visa allows foreign workers in various industries and sectors to come and work in the UK on a long-term basis. In order to be eligible for this visa, you must:

    • Work for a UK employer who has been approved by the Home Office
    • Be sponsored by your employer to work in the UK through a certificate of sponsorship
    • Work in a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
    • Be paid a minimum salary, which will vary based on the type of job you wish to do

    In order to be eligible for this visa, you must also apply through the UK’s points-based immigration system, where you become eligible by accruing points across a range of metrics. You can earn points through having certain educational qualifications, work experience or by meeting the minimum salary requirements, among other things.

    The UK also has other, more specialised work visas that will allow you to settle in the UK long-term, such as by applying for indefinite leave to remain). These include the following:

    Get in touch with our immigration experts for help with your move to the UK from Sweden.

    UK Business Visas for Swedes

    The UK also has business visas available for entrepreneurs who wish to come to the UK and start up their own business.

    These are the Start-Up visa and Innovator visa.

    Both will allow you to come to the UK and kick-start a new and innovative business venture. You will need to have sponsorship from an authorised endorsing body for either visa, as well as meeting minimum English language requirements.

    However, there are two main distinctions between the Start-Up visa and the Innovator visa.

    The first is that the Start-Up visa cannot in and of itself lead to long-term settlement in the UK. The maximum you will be able to stay in the UK is 2 years, after which you will have to switch to another visa or leave the country.

    The second distinction to make is that the Innovator visa will normally require you to have at least £50,000 in investment funds in order to be eligible. This is in contrast to the Start-Up visa, where you will only have to prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself financially.

    Like the work visas mentioned in the previous section, the Innovator visa will allow you to stay in the UK long-term and eventually allow you to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

    UK Family Visas for Swedes

    Aside from the many work visas available, the most common UK visas for foreign nationals to come to the UK are Family visas.

    These allow family members of those who already hold British or Irish citizenship or settled status in the UK to come and join them in the UK.

    Note that you will only be able to join certain family members in the UK, including the following:

    • Spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner
    • Child
    • Parent
    • Relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

    You can also apply for a Fiance visa, which is a type of Family visa that will allow you to come to the UK and marry or enter into a civil partnership. You will then be able to apply for a long-term Family visa to stay in the UK with your spouse or partner.

    There are a number of specific eligibility requirements for each category of Family visa. For example, if you wish to apply as a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner, you must fulfil stringent relationship, language and financial requirements before you can become eligible.

    Similarly, if you wish to apply as a parent who will join your child in the UK, your child must either be under the age of 18 or be over 18 and not lead an independent life. You’ll also need to prove that you’ll be taking an active role in your child’s upbringing.

    All types of Family visa will eventually allow you to settle permanently in the UK, if eligible.

    How Can IAS Help?

    One of the most important things about any large-scale move to another country is ensuring that you’re fully aware of the immigration and legal requirements you have to meet.

    The process of applying for visas and organising important documents can be a stressful one, and it can be of great reassurance at times to know that you have expert help and assistance on hand to aid you when you need it.

    This is where IAS can help.

    We are a UK-based immigration law firm with decades’ worth of experience in helping people around the world relocate to the UK. We are well-versed in the UK immigration system’s intricacies, and can help make your move as smooth as possible.

    Whether you need advice on how to maximise your chances of getting your visa approved, help with the UK immigration system, or concierge services to make the logistics of your move that much easier, we can help.

    For more information about the services we offer, and what we could do for you, reach out to us today on (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The main deadline for the EU Settlement Scheme has now passed.

    However, you may still be eligible to apply for the scheme, if one of the following situations applies to you:

    • You have a Swedish (or other EU) family member who was living in the UK by 31 December 2020
    • You’re exempt from immigration control, or you stopped being exempt from immigration control after 30 June 2021
    • You’re already in the UK with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (such as if you’re here on a work or study visa) which expires after 30 June 2021
    • You’re a family member of a British citizen who you lived with in the EU (only if you lived with them in that country by 30 December 2020 and then returned to the UK with them)

    You may also still be eligible to apply if you have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying before the main deadline, such as if you were in an abusive or controlling relationship, or you had a serious medical condition that prevented you from applying.

    There are a number of groups and organisations dedicated to supporting and connecting Swedes in the UK. These include the following:

    • LondonSwedes
    • Swedish Chamber of Commerce
    • Anglo-Swedish Society
    • The Church of Sweden

    If you’re applying for a long-term visa in the UK (any visa that will allow you to stay for more than 6 months), you will need to pay the immigration health surcharge to allow you to use the NHS.

    This will cost £624 a year for adult applicants and £470 for under 18s. The fee will be payable for every single year you’ll be in the UK. For example, if you’ll be in the UK for 5 years, you’ll have to pay a total of £3120.

    You will not need to have private health insurance in order to come and live in the UK.

    Most visas will allow you to bring your spouse, partner and dependent children with you to the UK when you apply. However, they must also meet separate eligibility criteria in order for this to happen.

    For example, you may have to prove that your partner or spouse is in a marriage or civil partnership with you that is legally recognised in the UK. Additionally, any child over the age of 16 that you bring with you must normally not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children, and be financially supported by you.

    The specific eligibility requirements for each visa may vary, so it’s important to be clear about what the terms of your chosen visa are before you apply.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 20 offices across the UK, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us