Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Can I Visit USA with UK Student Visa?

Planning to travel to the United States? As a UK Student Visa holder, you are able to do so via the Visa Waiver Program or by applying for an additional visa.

Not sure how to apply? Don’t risk problems at the border – call IAS at 0333 4149244 now or request a consultation online. Let our legal experts guide you on your situation and make sure you have the right documents.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Visiting the US with a UK Student Visa: Overview

    Students from the UK who hold valid Student Visas have two main options for visiting the US temporarily as tourists. One choice is to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa which permits stays up to 6 months.

    Another option is to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver Program. This requires getting travel authorisation through the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). With an approved ESTA, UK Student Visa holders can visit for up to 90 days without requiring a formal visa.

    To be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, students need to show proof of enrollment at a UK university and strong ties to the UK. While in the US as tourists, they cannot study or work.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Travelling to the United States with a UK Student Visa: Eligibility Requirements

    To apply for a visa or the Visa Waiver Program, you must:

    • Have a UK Student Visa that is valid for at least six months after you enter the US
    • Prove you have enough funds to support yourself during your time in the US
    • Have a return flight booked at the end of your stay
    • Complete ESTA clearance and meet all normal US Visitor Visa requirements (Waiver Program applicants only)
    • Prove you are enrolled in a university or college in the UK
    • Have a clear criminal record

    As you will be applying as a third-country national, what is critical is proving you will return to the UK after your trip. As such, a UK student visa with only a few weeks or months of validity left might be a red flag.

    Travelling Outside the UK While Studying

    As an international student in the UK on a Student Visa, it is important to understand the rules and limitations around travelling abroad during your studies. While occasional weekend or holiday trips are generally allowed, leaving the country for long periods of time during the academic term can negatively impact your visa status.

    If you are uncertain about your travel plans outside the UK then reach out to an immigration expert. They can provide information on the maximum number of days you are allowed to be out of the country, as well as any paperwork you may need to submit before travelling or during your return.

    Additionally, keep your passport and Biometric Residence Permit safe when travelling, and avoid going abroad while waiting for a Student Visa decision. Leaving the country can be seen as canceling your application and can jeopardise your visa status.

    Types of Visas for Visiting the US

    As a Student Visa holder, you might be eligible to apply for ESTA for visits up to 90 days. However, if you plan to stay in the US for longer, you’ll need to get a formal visa. There are two types of nonimmigrant visas that allow entry to the US for visitor purposes:

    • B-1 Visa – for business
    • B-2 Visa – for tourism and medical treatment

    How To Apply for a Visitor Visa

    Once you confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria for a visa, you can apply. To do this you will need to follow these steps:

    • Fill out the DS-160 form online and print out the confirmation page
    • Pay the MRV application fee
    • Schedule your visa interview
    • Gather the required documents for your visa file
    • Attend the visa interview

    You can apply for your visa at the US Embassy in London or the US Consulate in Belfast.

    We know that applying for a visa can be overwhelming. But don’t worry, as seasoned experts we’ve helped thousands of applicants get their visas approved. Give us a call at 0333 4149244 or contact us online.

    Get in touch with our immigration experts for the best routes to the USA as a UK student. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      What Documents Do I Need for a US Visitor Visa?

      To apply for the B-1/B-2 Visa as a UK Student Visa holder, you need to provide the following:

      • Confirmation page of the DS-160 application form
      • Passport photo (you don’t need an extra photo if you uploaded one to the DS-160 form)
      • Valid passport with at least 6 more months remaining after your planned trip to the US and a blank page
      • Evidence of your UK immigration status
      • ACRO police certificate if you’ve ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted
      • Appointment confirmation page
      • Previous US visas if you’ve travelled to the US before with an old passport
      • Invitation letter if applying for a B-2 tourist visa
      • Documents if you’ve ever been denied entry or deported from the US before
      Inner-city street view in America

      Processing Time and Fees

      For most visa applications from the UK, approval takes three to five work days. However, complicated cases can take up to 6 months or longer. For those who applied via the Interview Waiver Program, approval takes about three weeks.

      The application fee for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa is $160 per applicant. This must be paid upfront before the visa interview and is usually non-refundable.

      What To Do If My Visa Gets Denied?

      If your visa application is denied, don’t panic. You still have options. Here’s what you can do:

      • Correct any wrong information in your application for future submissions
      • Provide additional documents like bank statements and employment verification
      • Be honest and straightforward when answering interview questions
      • Hire an immigration lawyer to review your case and see if you can appeal

      For the right legal support when travelling to the USA, speak with our team. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        How Can IAS Help?

        Realising your dreams of visiting the US starts with the right legal support. You’ve worked hard to secure your UK Student Visa and now you want to visit the US but how do you navigate the complex application process?

        Our attorneys at IAS helped thousands of students from the UK and Europe visit the US quickly and easily without jeopardising their visa status. We keep up-to-date with constantly changing rules and requirements. We’ll carefully review your case, clearly explain your options, and guide you through every step of the visa or EST application process.

        Don’t take chances – let the immigration professionals at IAS help you visit the US worry-free. Call 0333 4149244 now or reach out to us online.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  The UK Student Visa allows you to study in the UK, but it does not grant you automatic entry to other European countries. You may need to apply for a Schengen visa or meet each country’s entry requirements.

                  With a UK Student Visa, you will be able to travel within England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

                  Ireland is a separate country from the United Kingdom, and it has its own immigration policies. The UK Student Visa does not automatically grant you entry into Ireland.

                  If you’re a dependent spouse or have children under 21, they may be eligible for a visa tied to your main UK Student Visa. Or they can apply for their own B-2 visa.