Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

How do you prove right to reside in the UK?

If you are a non UK / EU national you may need to provide additional evidence of your right to reside in the UK depending on your circumstances.

For more information about possible restrictions, or to have any questions or concerns you might have answered by a legal professional, reach out to us today on 0333 4149244, or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts


    Proving your right to remain in the UK can be a lengthy process, and requires some planning especially if your visa is due to expire.

    If you are a non UK or EU national you may need to provide additional evidence of your right to reside in the UK, depending on your circumstances.

    What is the right to reside in the UK?

    ‘Right to reside’ means you have the right to live in the UK.

    You have a right to reside in the UK if any of the following is true:

    • You’re a British citizen
    • You’re a citizen of Ireland
    • You have pre-settled or settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme
    • You have indefinite leave to enter (ILE) or remain in the UK (ILR)
    • You’re exempt from immigration control

    The benefits of ILR

    Explain ilr (immigration, healthcare, working, study and other rights)

    The Home Office has written a guide explaining the way EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who have either been granted a UK Visa or the EU Settlement Scheme will receive notification of the change.

    It must be understood if you want to live a life in Britain. In Britain you may be given different protections depending upon what immigration permit you have.

    Checking if you have the right to reside

    If you are from Europe, Europe’s economy and the EU you may have a benefit under if you are claiming EEA benefits.

    You are entitled to reside in different ways. Generally speaking, some forms of residence give more rights — you have an additional right to work or seek job opportunities if you work in the field.

    Proving your right to reside

    If the claim does not exist then you must prove that you are entitled to live in the area. You are entitled to stay in a different location because you have worked or have an important family connection.

    You will only need to show that you are entitled to residence. You need to show the fact you are entitled to residence during the application process.

    This evidence can be found in your application and may be taken for interviews. Tell me the best way to prove legal residency.

    Close up of Big Ben

    Habitual residence test

    If you can prove you have a right to reside, you might also need to show you plan to settle in the UK when you claim benefits. You do this by passing the habitual residence test.

    You do not need to pass the habitual residence test if you have a right to reside because you:

    • Are a worker or self-employed person
    • Are the family member of a worker or self-employed person
    • Have retained your worker or self-employed status
    • Got a permanent right to reside in less than 5 years – for example, because you retired or cannot work any more because of illness or an accident

    If you have another type of right to reside, you’ll have to pass the habitual residence test to claim:

    • Universal Credit
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
    • Personal Independence Payments
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carer’s Allowance

    Proving your family member has been working

    If you have a right to reside because of a family member, you’ll need evidence to prove their right to reside. A family member means someone like your:

    • Husband, wife, or civil partner
    • Parents
    • Children or grandchildren

    You can upload evidence of your relationship in your application. This evidence can be scans or photos of documents.

    The Home Office can require you to submit the original document where it has reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the copy relied upon.

    EEA nationals

    If you are from the EEA and need to show you have a right to reside because you or a family member has been working, you will need to provide evidence to prove it.

    From 2020 onwards, all EEA citizens can now establish residency rights within the UK under EU free movement rules.

    The reason they were allowed to live at home was because there is no need for a residence document like a visa.

    Eventually their stay was permanent in the British Isles for a period normally five years and no document was needed for their permanent residence.

    In the EU free movement rules, individuals had the right to obtain services and benefits in England.

    What happens when you achieve settled status

    If you settle your claim for permanent residence, you will be granted re-entry status automatically.

    If you have an already established residence you may apply for additional benefits.

    Once you achieve settled status, you will then be granted the same freedom as a British citizen.

    These benefits include but are not limited to:

    • Freedom to travel with a UK passport
    • Access to UK education
    • Access to UK healthcare
    • The right to vote in a UK election
    • The right to live and work in the UK free of immigration controls
    • The right to run for elections

    When you do not have the right to reside

    You do not have the right to reside if you do not have one of the following:

    • Indefinite Leave to Remain
    • A valid visa allowing you residency
    • You have a criminal record and face deportation charges

    You do not have the right to reside but can stay in the UK while you have one of the following:

    • A visa
    • A family permit

    A ‘right to reside’ means being legally entitled to live in the UK/Ireland, either for a fixed period or indefinitely.

    How IAS can help

    It is advisable that you keep up to date with your residency status.

    This is particularly important when you’ll eventually come to apply for an extension on your visa, as well as applying for indefinite leave to remain.

    If you have any questions or concerns about your absences from the UK on your visa, applying for ILR, or any other issue you might have about UK visas and immigration, IAS are here to help.

    We are expert and professional immigration lawyers who are committed to delivering the highest quality immigration advice, personal or financial information support to our clients.

    We can also advise you on routes to settlement, such as applying for British citizenship and how to become eligible, such as naturalisation or residency.

    For more information about the services we offer, and what we can do for you, reach out to us today on 0333 4149244, or contact us online.

    Do you need help with an immigration issue? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      You may be interested in reading about.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package