Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

How To Add A Level 1 User To SMS

To maintain an effective sponsor management system and to avoid having your licence revoked, it is absolutely essential to assign competent key personnel to manage activities related to the license.

If you desire effective management of your sponsorship licence and need a qualified UK-based legal representative to fill the Level 1 user role, get in touch with us today on 0330 311 6351 to access our team of experienced immigration experts.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Who is a Level 1 User?

    A level 1 user is a person who is responsible for the day-to-day management of an organisation’s licence through the use of the Sponsorship management system.

    The functions of a Level 1 user in an organisation include but are not limited to:

    • Viewing information and updates about their license, and notifying the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) of changes in their organisation.
    • Carrying out sponsorship activities such as assigning and withdrawing Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS).
    • Requesting for additional allocation of certificates.
    • Reporting changes in the circumstances of migrant workers.

    Eligibility criteria for Level 1 Users

    Level 1 users must meet all suitability checks as defined by the Home office to avoid the company’s application for a licence being refused.

    A company’s licence application may be refused if persons nominated for any of their key personnel role including the level 1 user has:

    • Been reported to or fined by the UKVI in the past 12 months.
    • An unspent criminal conviction (i.e. a conviction or caution that is still in their basic criminal record) applicable to sponsors.
    • Broken the law or failed to pay VAT or other excise duty at any time.
    • Had been a key person with a sponsor who had his/her licence revoked within the past 12 months.

    Prospective SMS level 1 users must:

    • Be based in the UK most of the time and not have a history of non-compliance with sponsor requirements.
    • Not be a contractor or consultant contracted for a specific project.
    • Not be under a bankruptcy restriction order or undertaking, or a debt relief restriction order or undertaking.
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    What is the Sponsorship Management System (SMS)?

    The Sponsorship Management System (SMS) is an online tool used by sponsors for a range of sponsor-related activities such as withdrawing and assigning certificates and reporting necessary changes in the circumstances of migrant workers in compliance with immigration rules.

    UK employers use it to meet their requirements while sponsoring people on Temporary Worker or Worker visas. Education providers, as well, use it to fulfil their Home office requirements while sponsoring people on Student or Child Student visas.

    The SMS is used to:

    • Manage key personnel and licence details.
    • Renew allocations and apply for additional CoS/CAS.
    • Manage and renew the organisation’s licence and services.
    • Create and assign certificates of sponsorship to prospective employees (for UK employers).
    • Provide Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies to prospective students (for educational institutions in the UK).
    • Report withdrawal of sponsorship and change in the circumstances of sponsored employees or students.
    • Report changes in the circumstances, such as change of ownership or location, of the licensed sponsor.
    • Apply for premium customer services if needed.
    • Pay for and track the progress of action plans.
    • Track premium, Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS), and licence renewal applications.
    • Apply for student sponsor status.

    Steps to Get a Sponsor Licence

    The steps applicants must take to apply for a sponsor licence include:

    • Check to ensure that their business is eligible
    • Check that their job is suitable for sponsorship.
    • Determine the type of licence they want to apply for.
    • Determine those who will manage the sponsorship process within their business.
    • Apply online and pay the required fee.

    The licence is valid for four years and holders may lose it if they do not meet their responsibilities as a sponsor.

    How Do I Add a Level 1 User to My SMS?

    Employers who apply for a sponsor licence must nominate competent people to manage the organisation’s SMS. These persons will fill roles such as authorising officer, key contact, and level 1 user.

    They, as well as the applicant, will go through all suitability checks by the Home office to determine their eligibility. The level 1 user must be an employee or office holder.

    When a sponsor licence is approved, the authorising officer receives the first login ID (to the SMS) by post while the password is sent directly to the email address of the nominated Level 1 user.

    The authorising officer is tasked with providing the login details to the level 1 user who will proceed to log in with these details to have access to all applicable functions of the SMS relevant to the route in which they are licenced.

    Employers can appoint a level 2 user or multiple level 1 SMS users with at least one of them being a paid staff member or office holder. An SMS user role can also be filled by a UK-based legal representative or an employee of a third-party organisation who provides HR services to the organisation.

    All sponsorship roles except the authorising officer role may be filled by a UK-based legal representative who is qualified to give immigration advice or services. Level 2 users have fewer permissions than level 1 users and can be filled with a temporary member of staff provided by an agency.

    The authorising officer is a senior and competent person within the organisation responsible for overseeing the activities of level 2 and level 1 users and must be set up as a level 1 user to have access to the SMS. This role and that of the level 1 user can be filled by the same person.

    If you have any questions about how to add a Level 1 User to SMS, our team is happy to assist. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How IAS Immigration Lawyers can help You

      If you require assistance with employing migrant workers, with the efficient operation of your sponsorship management system or with compliance obligations, our team of professional immigration advisers are available to help.

      Chat with us online or get in touch with us today on 0330 311 6351 to discuss your specific case with an experienced immigration expert who will work with you to achieve your desired outcome.

      Related pages for your continued reading.

      We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Get in touch

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                Frequently Asked Questions

                A key contact of an organisation is the person who serves as the main point of contact with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). This role may be filled by a staff member or a UK-based representative.

                Sponsors should always be ready for a compliance visit. Sponsors should always ensure that the list of level 1 users is kept updated, as well as records such as the contact details of their authorising officer and key contact.

                They should also have level 1 users log in at least once a month as recommended in the guidance.

                While they do not make immigration decisions, immigration advisers are legal representatives who can help you with most things that are immigration-related.

                You may use the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Adviser Finder to locate a registered legal adviser based in the UK.

                You may instead, opt to employ the services of Immigration Advice Service (IAS), UK’s leading OISC-accredited immigration specialists with ample experience and expertise to help fulfil your sponsorship requirements.