Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Moving to the UK from Canada

Our immigration lawyers are experienced in helping Canadian nationals move to the UK.

Call us on +44333 305 3612 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS’ Immigration Lawyers

    At IAS, we understand that every case and client is unique, so we provide bespoke assessment and support to each client. With us, you get a dedicated immigration lawyer who is dedicated to ensuring your application is successful. Enjoy the following benefits with IAS:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    A personalised Letter of Representation to help compile a compelling case for approval

    Continued support from your lawyer in the event of any complications.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Services we Provide

    Moving to the UK from Canada

    The UK is home to the third largest community in the Canadian diaspora. Up to 90,000 Canadians currently live in the UK, with many more undergoing the process of moving from Canada to UK each year.

    At IAS, we provide assistance and advice if you are a Canadian moving to the UK. Our UK visa experts can assist you with your application from the beginning to the end. Whether you are working, investing, or studying, there is a visa for you. If you’re seeking a visa for your Canadian partner or are looking to live with a British family member, we can provide tailored advice just for you.

    How can IAS help?

    We have compiled the following advice for those Canadians that are interested in moving to the UK from Canada by answering some questions we have already received. However, if you’re seriously thinking about moving to England and require UK immigration advice, get in touch with our team of specialist immigration lawyers by calling 0333 363 8577 or making an enquiry online.

    moving from canada to uk

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    If you are a looking to begin the process of moving from Canada to UK for longer than six months, you will need a visa relevant to your current situation.

    In order to turn your visa application into a success, you will need to fill out your application carefully and honestly with knowledge of the UK’s immigration rules. You will need to provide your reasons for moving and other criteria based on which visa is most suited to you. Your application needs careful consideration with the proper immigration advice.

    Some visas take longer to acquire than others. For instance, a Spouse visa is notoriously difficult to attain as opposed to a work or study visa that will have a faster processing time due to the temporary implications the visa has. You may be able to keep your passport during processing.

    Whichever visa route you decide to commit to, a criminal conviction is almost certainly going to have a negative impact on your eligibility to naturalise as a British citizen. However, there are options to discuss with an immigration lawyer. We could assist you to work out the date you can be eligible to apply.

    Generally, you will be able to move to the UK as long as you meet the correct visa requirements. To assist you further, we have summarised the most common visa categories below, and there is more in-depth information surrounding each visa type on our website.

    There is a vast variety of visas for Canadians seeking work in the UK. Yet each visa requires different criteria and documents.

    Tier 1 Visas are great for high-value migrants such as investors, entrepreneurs and industry leaders. These visas do not require you to have a job offer in the UK but still have some very strict requirements.

    Skilled Worker Visa requires proof that you are a skilled worker who has been offered a job from a recognised workplace for a permanent (longer than six months) contract. The workplace should hold a UK Sponsor Licence.

    Temporary Visa allows you to work in the UK as a skilled worker for a period of six months or less. The workplace should also hold a UK Sponsor Licence.

    Youth Mobility Scheme allows applicants to reside in the UK for up to 2 years where they will be able to live, work, and study.

    Applicants are eligible to switch to a different visa once they are residing in the UK on their current visa. For example, if you are on a Study visa, you may switch to an Unmarried Partner visa or Spouse visa after some time.

    For this reason, your individual situation and skills determine which working visa you require. To decide which visa category best suits your circumstances, contact one of our immigration experts who can assist you with no-obligation advice.

    If you’re a Canadian national wishing to join your husband, wife, or partner who is a British citizen, you will need to apply for a Spouse Visa or Partner Visa before travelling. These visa types give you a lot more flexibility, as you can work freely in the UK during your residency – unlike most other visas. You can stay in the UK for up to 30 months, from which you can then extend your visa for another 30 months. After these 60 months, you will then be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) should you want permanent residency. Certain visas allows for you to bring dependents along for your residency if they qualify.

    Spouse Visas are infamously difficult to get and are more likely to be refused than any other. So, if you are moving to the UK from Canada using a Spouse Visa, you must be able to prove your relationship is genuine. The criteria are as follows:

    • You must prove that you are legally married and that you have a genuine relationship with your spouse in the eyes of the UK government.
    • You must demonstrate your intention to live together.
    • You must be able to financially support yourself without access to any government funding.
    • Your British partner must make £18,600 per year as a minimum requirement, which then increases per dependent child that you may be bringing with you.

    If you’re looking to join your British boyfriend or girlfriend who lives in England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa. This visa lasts for 30-33 months depending on your application.

    Obtaining this type of visa is also notoriously difficult. It comes with further complications as there is no blood relation or binding law that puts you and your partner together on paper. The criteria are as follows:

    • You both must be over 18 years old
    • You must be able to prove that your relationship is legitimate and genuine by providing substantial evidence.
    • You must prove that any previous relationships – married or unmarried – have ended.
    • You must be either engaged, intending to embark in a civil partnership, or have been living together for at least 2 years.
    • If you are planning to marry or enter a civil partnership, you must provide proof that you plan to do so within the first six months of arriving to the UK.
    • You must also live with your British partner throughout your stay in the UK.
    • You need to demonstrate that your British partner earns a minimum of £18,600 per year – which again increases should you be bringing any of your own children with you.

    If you have a British family member currently living in the UK that you wish to live with, or a relative residing there under permanent settlement status, then you may be eligible to apply for a Family of a Settled Person Visa. This visa allows you to move to the UK for 6 months up to 33 months, with the possibility to extend your visa further. You can also work and study in the UK using your UK Family Visa. However, the requirements outlined in the application process are strict and are as follows:

    • You have to be over 18.
    • You must be able to prove that the relationship to your family member is genuine and legally recognised by the Home Office.
    • You need to prove that you will remain living with your family member throughout your stay.
    • Your British family member must also have sufficient space for you both to live.

    If you’re not working, you will need to show that you will be financially supported and accommodated without help from the UK government.

    If one of your grandparents were born in the UK, you may also be eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry Visa.

    If you’re a Canadian moving to the UK to study, you should look to apply for a Student Visa.

    Before applying for this visa, you must:

    • Already have an offer from a certified university that holds a Tier 4 Sponsorship Licence.
    • Show evidence that you have enough money in your savings to support yourself and pay for your course.

    Keep in mind that you are only permitted to work in paid employment for a maximum of 20 hours per week as not to disturb your studies.

    No, moving from England to Canada will not be impacted by Britain’s departure from the EU. Brexit will only come into effect for European Citizens following from 2019/20.

    As one of the largest immigration advice firms in the UK, the lawyers at IAS are well-equipped and experienced in making visa applications for Canadians moving to the UK.

    Our application services include:

    • Advising you in-depth on your options for entry to the UK (the advice session can be conducted over the phone or via Skype);
    • identifying the correct route for you and ensuring you meet the criteria;
    • informing you of the relevant documentation required and how to collect it;
    • completing and submitting your application forms for you;
    • maintaining contact with the Home Office/UK authorities throughout the application process.

    If you require assistance or advice on any of the visa categories above, get in touch with one of our expert advisers online or by calling 0333 363 8577 to discuss your options.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us