Are You a Professional with Exceptional Talents Seeking to Work in the U.S.?
Our dedicated team has experience helping Nigerians smoothly transition to the U.S. We understand the importance of guidance and attention to detail throughout the visa application process. We are willing and available to do the work for you.
Other Immigration and Emigration Matters
For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:
US – +1 844 290 6312
Ireland – (+353) 061 518 025
UK – (+44) 333 4149244
Overview of the O-1 Visa
The O-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individuals with the extraordinary ability to temporarily work in the United States. To qualify for an O-1 Visa, you must demonstrate extraordinary ability or achievement in your field.
Extraordinary ability is a level of expertise indicating that you are one of the small percentages who have risen to the top of the field of endeavour. This can be shown through sustained national or international acclaim and recognition.
This visa type is divided into two categories: O-1A and O-1B.
The O-1A Visa is intended for people with exceptional talent in the sciences, business, education, or athletics. You must exhibit remarkable expertise and ongoing national or international renown in your field to be eligible for an O-1A Visa.
The O-1B Visa is reserved for people who have achieved outstanding success in the film or television industries. It is designed for professionals who have reached a high level of fame and acclaim in their particular vocations, including actors, actresses, directors, producers, and other professionals.
You must present proof of your contributions and accomplishments,such as honours, praise from critics, or significant roles in prestigious plays, in order to be eligible for an O-1B Visa.
Fields that Qualify for O-1 Visa Status
The O-1 Visa covers a wide range of fields, including but not limited to:
- Science: Researchers, scientists, and academics who have made significant contributions to their respective fields.
- Arts: Artists, musicians, actors, and performers who have achieved recognition and acclaim for their work.
- Education: Professors, scholars, and educators with exceptional expertise and contributions in their field of study.
- Business: Entrepreneurs, executives, and individuals with a record of extraordinary achievement in business or entrepreneurship.
- Athletics: Athletes, coaches, and trainers who have achieved outstanding success in their sport.
- Motion Picture or Television Industry: Actors, directors, producers, and other professionals who have attained extraordinary accomplishments in the film or TV industry.
To meet the O-1 Visa requirements, you must satisfy specific criteria and provide supporting documentation. Here are the eligibility criteria:
- Provide evidence of any awards, prizes, or recognitions you have received for your work.
- Show membership in professional associations or organisations related to your field.
- Submit copies of articles, publications, or books that feature your work or contributions.
- Demonstrate your significant contributions to your field through original research, patents, or innovations.
- Provide proof that you receive a high salary or remuneration for your work, indicating your exceptional ability.
- Show that you have a leading or critical role in distinguished organisations or projects.
Eligibility Criteria for the O-1 Visa
To be qualify for the O1 Visa you must meet the following criteria:
- Provide evidence that you possess extraordinary ability in your field of expertise.
- Demonstrate that you have received recognition and acclaim on a national or international level.
- Obtain expert opinions attesting to your extraordinary ability and contributions.
- Show proof of your significant contributions and achievements in your field.
To apply for an O-1 Visa, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Travel passport: Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay in the United States.
- Form I-129: Complete and submit Form I-129, which is the petition for a nonimmigrant worker, to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Employment contract: Provide a copy of your employment contract or agreement with the U.S. employer sponsoring your visa.
- Consultation letters: Obtain advisory opinions from experts in your field, affirming your extraordinary ability and the value of your work.
- Support letters: Gather letters from industry peers, employers, or experts who can attest to your exceptional abilities.
- Evidence of accomplishments: Compile evidence such as awards, publications, patents, or media coverage showcasing your achievements.
- Non-immigrant intent: You must demonstrate that your visit to the United States is temporary and that you have non-immigrant intent.
- Employer sponsorship: You must have a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor your O-1 Visa and provide you with employment.
Evidentiary Requirements for the O-1 Visa
In addition to the necessary documents, you must meet the evidentiary requirements to support your application. These requirements may include:
- Documentation of awards: Provide certificates, plaques, or letters confirming any awards or honours you have received.
- Publications and media coverage: Include copies of articles, interviews, or reviews that feature your work or achievements.
- Contract agreements: Submit copies of contracts or agreements showing your involvement in significant projects or collaborations.
- Letters of recommendation: Obtain recommendation letters from renowned professionals or experts in the field.
- Performance reviews: Include performance reviews or evaluations that highlight your exceptional abilities and contributions.
In some cases, individuals may qualify for an exception to the evidentiary requirements. This can occur when the beneficiary has received a one-time, internationally recognised award, such as an Oscar or Nobel Prize, which serves as sufficient evidence of extraordinary ability.
O-1 Visa Petitions
When applying for an O-1 Visa, one of the important steps in the process is preparing and submitting the O-1 Visa petition. This petition serves as a formal request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to grant you O-1 Visa status.
The sponsor, who can be a U.S. employer or agent, is responsible for preparing the petition. The main responsibility of the sponsor is to show that you have exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics. Your exceptional ability must be supported by evidence, such as awards, publications, or media coverage, according to the sponsor.
The petition is submitted by the sponsor by completing Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, and submitting it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Specific supporting documentation must be submitted with the petition, such as your passport, a medical examination report, and a copy of the petition.
If you are interested in sponsoring an O-1 Visa, IAS can assist you with petition preparation. Contact us today to ensure that your petition is in order before submission. Call us on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 to book a consultation.
What To Do If Your O-1 Visa Application Is Rejected
Depending on the circumstances, you may have the option to file an appeal. This involves formally requesting a reconsideration of your case by a higher authority within the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Working closely with your attorney, you can prepare a strong appeal that addresses the specific concerns raised in the rejection notice.
Consulting with our experienced immigration professionals will save you from receiving a rejection. Our knowledgeable team of experts has the skills to thoroughly evaluate your case. We will walk you through the application process and ensure that you get your visa approved. Call us on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 for assistance.
How Can IAS Help?
If you’re a Nigerian professional with exceptional ability seeking to work in the US, or you’re exploring other visa options to enter the US, IAS is here to assist you. Our team consists of experienced immigration lawyers specialising in international immigration.
We possess the necessary tools and expertise to support you, regardless of your personal circumstances or the complexity of your case. Whether you require guidance on meeting the requirements for the O-1 Visa, need assistance with the application, or simply wish to consult with an immigration professional regarding your situation, we are ready to help.
Last modified on October 26th, 2023 at 11:32 am
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.
O-1 Visas are normally issued for up to three years, and can either be used to cover the period of a particular event or project. The initial validity of an O-1 Visa is limited to three years, however, extensions in increments of one year may be requested. You can apply for an unlimited number of extensions if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.
The processing time for the O-1 Visa is typically 2-3 months. Processing times, however, can vary depending on factors like demand for services, and U.S. immigration laws. To ensure a smooth application process, it is advisable to apply for the O-1 Visa several months in advance of your intended travel date.
The filing fee for an O-1 visa application is $460. This fee is paid to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when the O-1 visa petition is filed.
Yes, the O-1 Visa requires sponsorship. The sponsor must be either a U.S. employer or an agent capable of proving your extraordinary ability. Additionally, the sponsor must offer a job that corresponds to your exceptional skills. Furthermore, the sponsor is responsible for covering your travel expenses to the United States.