Immigration Advice Service
Call 0333 414 9244(local rate)

Open Mon - Sat, 9.00am - 8.00pm

Find an office

16 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
Spouse Visa UK

Spouse Visa UK - get immigration advice from our lawyers

Talk to our experts and get the right advice on your Spouse Visa application. Our professional immigration lawyers will help you:

  • Explore the possibilities to get your visa and enter the UK
  • Understand the precise Spouse Visa requirements you need to meet
  • Guide you through every step of the application process
  • Gather and review the documents required to support your case
  • Submit your application when you buy our Application Package

Contact us to find out how we can help you.


Contact us to discuss your immigration needs and our team will explain the ways we can help you.


Start your personalised immigration advice session to receive the answers and information you need.


Instruct our dedicated lawyers to complete your application and submit it to the Home Office.

Fill out the form

Spouse Visa UK

A Spouse Visa, also known as a UK Marriage Visa, is a type of settlement visa. It allows you to live in the UK for up to 30 months and can be extended for another 30 months after this. This visa can then lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and eventually British Citizenship. The main requirements of the Spouse Visa UK include proof that you are in a genuine relationship and that the UK sponsor earns at least £18,600 per year.

A Marriage Visa is applicable to homosexual and heterosexual marriages and serves the same purpose as a Civil Partnership Visa. Non-EU nationals can apply for a Spouse Visa UK if they are married to a British citizen, a person with settled status or a UK refugee. If you are outside the UK, you must have your Spouse Visa to join your partner in the UK.

Spouse Visa Application help

At IAS, we will do everything we can to make sure that your chances of success in your Spouse Visa application are maximised. You will be assigned an experienced lawyer who will assess your situation, requirements, and eligibility for a UK Marriage Visa. They will then complete and submit your application.

Call us on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to begin your application for a UK Spouse Visa.

EXCELLENT 4.7 rating 408 reviews Logo
Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

Our Advice Session can take place either in person (in one of our nationwide offices), over the phone or via Skype with one of our highly qualified, OISC regulated immigration lawyers. They will take detailed instructions about your immigration matter and provide you with comprehensive advice on what your options are and the next steps you need to take.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package More information
Application Package image

The Application Package

Our application service involves a detailed consultation with a dedicated caseworker who will be able to advise you on your application, eligibility, supporting documents, procedure, timescales, fees and your prospects of gaining a successful outcome. Your legal advisor or solicitor will then help you to prepare, submit and monitor the progress of your visa application, confirming the advice and steps taken in writing to you.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package More information
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast Track Application Package is a premium, bespoke service in which our dedicated lawyers will work tirelessly to ensure that your visa application is submitted in time to meet your deadline.

In the past, we have processed and submitted applications in as little as 24 hours using this service. Using our Fast Track Application Package guarantees that your application will become a top priority for our lawyers. They will endeavor to provide you with the fastest, highest-quality service possible.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package More information
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

Unfortunately, applications are often rejected by the Home Office. This may be due to insufficient supporting evidence alongside the application, or a simple case of incorrect information being provided on the application form.

Our Appeal Package utilises our lawyer’s vast legal knowledge and comprehensive experience to ensure you have the greatest chance of success for a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package More information

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Contact us to find out how we can help you.

Related pages for your continued reading.

Spouse Visa Application


Spouse Visa Extension


Spouse Visa Refusal


Spouse Visa Requirements


Citizenship by Marriage


Spouse Visa After a Divorce


Frequently Asked Questions

The requirements for UK Partner Visas are similar across each type. These include the Spouse Visa, Unmarried Partner Visa and Fiancée Visa.

The Spouse Visa UK requirements include:

  • A minimum income threshold of £18,600
  • Proof of English Language ability
  • Evidence of adequate accommodation
  • Passing the ‘genuine relationship test’

These requirements will vary depending on your situation or if you are applying with dependent children.

Find out more information about the Spouse Visa requirements.

If you meet the strict requirements, you will be able to apply for a Marriage Visa UK. The application can be made in the UK or from your current country of residence.

You will need to show a substantial amount of evidence about your relationship to prove you are eligible to come to the UK on a Spouse Visa.

If you’ve been living with your spouse in another European country outside of the UK, you may also be eligible through the ‘Surinder Singh’ route rather than a traditional UK Spouse Visa.

To apply for a Spouse Visa, you can enquire with us online or over the phone to start your application today.

The Home Office currently has a Spouse Visa fee of £1,523 for an out of country application.

This charge will increase if you are applying with dependents and will increase for each dependent.

The minimum income required to sponsor your spouse or partner to come to the UK was set in July 2012 by the Home Office at £18,600. This income requirement increases to £22,400 for one dependent child and £2,400 for every further child.

However, following a UK High Court ruling, MM (Lebanon), it was decided that the minimum income requirement was ‘unjustified and disproportionate’ if the sponsor was either a refugee or a British Citizen. This judgement came in July 2013 and since then, all decisions in relation to sponsors that do not meet the criteria have been placed on hold until further notice.

If you receive a letter saying your Spouse Visa was refused, you will usually have the right to appeal the decision if you think it was unfair. Your letter of refusal will inform you if you are eligible to appeal. You will be able to submit new evidence if it proves that you were eligible at the time of your initial application.

If you are already in the UK, you will need to act quickly in order to appeal the decision or apply for another visa. Overstaying on an expired visa can be very problematic and should be avoided.

Spouse Visa applications can be complex and using the services of an immigration expert is highly recommended. You will need to ensure that you meet all of the Marriage Visa requirements before you apply.

You will need to complete the relevant application forms and collate your evidence for submission. This will need to be extensive and prove that your relationship is genuine.

You must also not book your travel before you receive a decision on your UK Spouse Visa application.

IAS has an excellent track record with Spouse Visa cases and our solicitors are highly experienced in this field. To apply for a Marriage Visa UK, get in touch with IAS online or on 0333 363 8577 today for professional, no obligation advice.

Since August 10th 2017, decisions for Spouse Visa UK applications must take into consideration other methods of financing.

This might include self-sustainability, self-employment or continued financial support from a relative. These changes will offer some hope for those who have previously had their Marriage Visas rejected, or for those who have put off applying.

The standard processing time for UK visas can vary depending on the case or where you are applying from.

Typically, the standard Spouse Visa processing time is around three months.

Find out more information about the Spouse Visa processing times.

Once you are living in the UK with your spouse or partner, you may wish to make your position more permanent. You can achieve this by gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain. ILR allows you to settle in the UK permanently without being tied to visa regulations.

You can most often apply for this after five years. Your application will be dependent on you continuing to meet the requirements of your Marriage Visa. There is also a 10-year route to ILR which has slightly more relaxed expectations relating to the income threshold.

More information on getting ILR from a Spouse Visa.

If you have already joined your spouse or partner in the UK you may apply to switch to a Marriage Visa from a different immigration category.

You will not be allowed to switch categories if you are here as a visitor or if permission to stay was given for a period of less than six months (with the exception of the fiancée or proposed civil partner visa). You also cannot apply for a Spouse Visa if you are in breach of the Immigration Rules (a period of overstaying of less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

There are some occasions where you may be exempt from the financial requirements for a UK Spouse or Partner Visa, for example, if you have a disability or you are a carer. There are, however, only a limited number of instances where exemptions apply.

We would advise you to consult a professional immigration lawyer for more information. Whilst you may be exempt from meeting the current income threshold, you will need to prove that you have enough money to support your spouse/partner and/or any dependants.

If you decide to end your relationship or divorce your partner, it is important to let the Home Office know as soon as possible as this can have an impact on future visa applications.

Since your leave depends on your relationship, the Home Office will issue what is known as a Spouse Visa curtailment. This will usually allow you enough time to make a new application under a new route or leave the country but you will need to act quickly.

More information on your options following a Spouse Visa curtailment.

No, your spouse or partner’s income cannot be included as part of the financial requirement unless they are already residing in the UK (and with permission to work). In which case, the financial requirement can be based on household income.

If you feel you are struggling to meet the minimum financial income requirement, get in touch with our team to discuss how recent changes to the law could help your application.

If you are from a country outside of the European Economic Area (or Switzerland) that is not predominantly English speaking then you will need to pass an English Language test that has been conducted by an approved test provider.

If you have an English Language certificate which has been provided by one of these approved providers then it should satisfy the language requirement. This includes degrees earned in English.

If you are unsure of where to find an approved test provider, consult an immigration specialist who will be best positioned to point you in the right direction when applying for a Spouse Visa UK.

At IAS, we understand the importance of being close to loved ones and we make it our priority to maximise your chances of doing this.

Our team of specialist immigration advisers can guide you through each step of your application process for a Marriage Visa in the UK.

Our services include:

  • liaising with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time that suits you;
  • assessing your eligibility;
  • checking your documents to ensure that they are sufficient for your Partner Visa application;
  • ensuring that you have enough proof that your relationship is genuine;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • liaising with the Home Office during your application process;
  • completing each part of your application form to the highest standard.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your application for a Spouse Visa UK.