Portugal Visa from Kuwait Overview
The Kuwait to Portugal visa is a permit that allows Kuwaiti citizens and residents to visit Portugal. This visa can also enable the holders to enter other Schengen countries if the visa holder enters through Portugal first.
The visa is also called the Type C Schengen visa. Kuwaiti citizens with this visa can stay up to 90 days in Portugal.
When applying for the visa, you must state the visa category you are. Also, note that you must meet certain eligibility and financial requirements before you apply for the Portugal visa from Kuwait.
- Portugal Visa from Kuwait Overview
- Types of Portugal visas for Kuwait Passport Holders
- Portugal Visa Entry Category
- Portugal Visa Requirements for Kuwaiti Citizens
- Document Checklist For Portugal Visa Application
- Portugal Visa Application Process from Kuwait
- Fees and Processing Time
- How Can IAS Help?
- Frequently Asked Questions
This visa permits you to stay in Portugal for 90 days. It is the visa you should apply for if you are going to Portugal for tourism.
This is also the visa to apply for if you are going to Portugal to visit family and friends.
Like the other visas in this category, it is valid for 90 days. It is essential to know that an invitation letter from your business partner is required.
This is also known as the medical tourism visa. You apply for a medical visa if you go to Portugal for medical purposes such as surgery, diagnosis or transplants. You must present a medical report from a Kuwaiti doctor stating why you need to go to Portugal for treatment. You will also submit a letter from the Portuguese doctor proving that you need to be in Portugal for treatment.
Cultural/Sports/Religious Events Visa
This is the short-stay visa you must apply for if you are going to Portugal for sports or cultural exchange programs like pageantry and religious gatherings. It is also the visa to apply for if you are going to Portugal as a movie crew member.
Portugal Visa Entry Category
There are three categories of Portugal visas depending on how many times you are permitted to re-enter Portugal:
- A single-entry visa can only grant you one-time entrance into Portugal. If you leave Portugal or the Schengen region before your visa expires, you cannot re-enter.
- A double-entry visa can only grant you entry twice.
- A multiple-entry visa permits you to leave and re-enter Portugal as long as you want, provided the visa is still valid.
A Valid Passport
If you are looking to apply for a Portugal visa, you must do so with a valid passport. This means your passport must be valid for up to 3 months after the visa you are applying for must have expired. For example, if you want to spend 3 months from March to May in Portugal, your passport must be valid until August.
Health Insurance Policy
The Portuguese government is serious about the health of its visitors. They want to be sure you have means of taking care of your health without burdening public health services. You prove this by showing you have an insurance policy with a value of up to €30,000.
Proof of Financial Means
Another essential requirement you must meet when applying for a Portugal visa from Kuwait is the financial requirement. You have to prove that you can take care of yourself and anyone going with you to Portugal. You must show this by presenting bank statements. Proof of financial means can also be proven by submitting a sponsorship letter from a friend or family in Portugal willing to bear the cost of your travel.
Proof of Accommodation
You must prove that you have a place to stay in Portugal. This can be confirmed by submitting your hotel or Airbnb bookings for your stay. Ensure you also input the address of where you will be spending time.
You can also show that you have a rental agreement with a landlord or have bought property in Portugal where you will stay.
Another way to prove you have accommodation in Portugal is to get an invitation letter from a friend or family willing to accommodate you.
Proof You Will Leave Portugal
Overstaying the validity of your visa is an immigration offence. The Portuguese government wants to ensure you will leave Portugal when your visa expires. You must show flight tickets in and out of Portugal to meet this requirement.
Document Checklist For Portugal Visa Application
Here are the documents you need to present to the Portuguese embassy when applying for a visa:
- A valid passport. It should have a minimum of 2 blank pages where the visa sticker will be attached, be valid 3 months beyond your visa expiry date and should be no more than 10 years old.
- Portugal visa application form. This should be completed properly and signed. You will present the signed form at the consulate.
- Health insurance certificate from a Schengen area-certified policy provider.
- Two passports photographs not older than 3 months.
- Reserved flight tickets in and out of Portugal.
- Rental or lease agreement. In place of those, you can show evidence of property purchased or an invitation letter from a friend and family in Portugal. These serve as proof of accommodation.
- Bank account statements showing you have enough money to cater for your expenses in Portugal. Typically, you need €40 for every day you spend in Portugal. This will also apply to any dependent going with you. In place of this, you can get an affidavit of support from someone sponsoring your trip. An invitation letter with a legalised declaration of support can also serve.
- Proof that you intend to leave Portugal when your visa expires. This could be an employment or leave letter from work, proof of enrolment into school, copy of your business licence.
- If you are travelling with your family, you must show your marriage certificate and your children’s birth certificates.
- If you are travelling with children that are not yours, you must show a consent letter from their parents, including their passport details.
- A cover letter outlining what you are going to Portugal for.
- Business invitation letter if applicable.
- Medical report from Kuwait and Letter from a hospital or doctor in Portugal, if applicable.
- Letter from an organisation in Portugal inviting you to a religious, cultural or sporting event, if applicable.
- Evidence of visa fee payment.
Portugal Visa Application Process from Kuwait
To apply for the Portugal visa, follow these steps:
- Gather all your documents.
- Go to the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs site and apply online. Remember that you have to print the completed form and sign it.
- Schedule an appointment with the Portuguese embassy to submit your documents. The embassy to use depends on where you are. If you are a Kuwaiti living in the UAE, you will use the Portuguese embassy in Abu Dhabi. If you live in Kuwait, you will use the embassy of Spain in Kuwait.
- Make your visa payment and wait for the consulate to give you an appointment date.
- Attend your interview.
- If your application is successful, the embassy or consulate will tell you when and where to pick up your visa.
Note that you must travel to Portugal within the approved date on your visa.
Fees and Processing Time
- €80 for anyone older than 12
- €40 for anyone between 6 and 12 years of age
- The visa is free for children below 6
If you are visiting Portugal for scientific research, on an educational trip or spending time with a family member who is a citizen of an EU/EEA member nation, the visa is free.
Usually, it takes about 15 to 60 days to get a decision on your visa application. But this could take longer if the embassy or consulate has a lot of work on their hands. You have to factor this in when applying for your visa.
It can be cumbersome applying for a Portugal visa due to the many documents that must be submitted. Gathering all the documents can take a lot of time, especially if you are unsure what to include. That’s why we’re here.
At IAS, we can help you gather the relevant documents, advice you on which visa to Portugal to apply for, and help you appeal a visa denial.
Our expert immigration lawyers can guide you every step of the way during your application for a visa to Portugal.
Last modified on October 24th, 2023 at 11:29 am
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.
It is usually hard to get an extension on a Portugal visit visa. On rare occasions, the visa can be extended if you are unable to travel due to medical reasons or if your home country is in a war. All applications or visa extension is made to SEF, the body in charge of Portuguese immigration.
Your visa can be rejected for many reasons. When this happens, you can fix the problem and re-apply. You can also appeal the decision no more than 15 days after you get the decision. You can contact us at IAS to help you with this.
You can apply for a Portugal visa from Kuwait at least 30 days before you need to travel. However, remember that you cannot apply for the visa more than 3 months before your departure date.