Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Sponsor Licence Change of Circumstances

Sponsor licence holders are obligated, as part of their sponsor duties, to play their part in ensuring the immigration system is not abused, and to report to the UK Home Office if there is a change of circumstances regarding their businesses or employees.

For more information on how to successfully manage your sponsor duties, how to prepare for a compliance visit, and what to do if your sponsor licence is revoked, downgraded or suspended, contact us today on 0333 305 9375 or chat with us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Sponsor Licence Change of Circumstances: An Overview

    Holding a sponsor licence is essential if a UK employer is looking to employ overseas nationals who are subject to immigration controls.

    Furthermore, they must comply with their sponsor licence-reporting duties to retain their licence and to successfully renew it upon expiry.

    Cases that must be submitted in a report include changes in sponsored workers’ circumstances and significant changes in the business.

    This is necessary for reasons which include preventing illegal working, keeping workers’ details updated, and monitoring employees’ immigration status.

    While some changes are automatically updated on the SMS, other reported changes may take up to 18 weeks to be processed, especially if the UK Home Office requires further information.

    Some changes, such as appointing a new level 1 user, require that the sponsor licence holder fills out a ‘change of circumstances’ form instead of reporting via the SMS.

    Non-compliance by employers can have an adverse effect on their sponsor licence. These effects vary and can be as fair as a sponsor licence downgrade to stiffer penalties such as a suspension or revocation of the sponsor licence.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    When is there a Change of Circumstances?

    A change of circumstances occurs when certain changes occur in an organisation. They may be business or organisational changes, or certain changes related to sponsored employees.

    As part of their sponsor licence duties, employers are required to inform the UK Home Office of:

    • Business changes.
    • Changes in sponsored worker’s circumstances.

    Business or Organisational Changes

    The following are organisational changes that need to be reported via the Sponsor Management System (SMS):

    • A change in the nature of the business.
    • Sale of some or all of the business.
    • A merger or complete takeover of the business.
    • Liquidation or suspension of trading activities.
    • A change of address or name of the business.
    • A change of the key personnel named on the sponsor licence.
    • A significant change in the business’ size or structure.
    • A change in business type or sector such as if a company previously held charitable status and no longer does or if the business was previously a large company but is now a small company.
    • Surrender of sponsor licence.
    • A conviction of the sponsor licence holder of a relevant criminal offence such as fraud or money laundering.

    Changes in a Sponsored Worker’s Circumstances

    The UK Home Office must be notified by the organisation if sponsored employees:

    • Leave their place of work for reasons such as resignation, dismissal, or UK licence registration required for work expires.
    • Are no longer sponsored. This may happen if they have switched to an immigration route that does not require sponsorship.
    • Are absent from work without permission for more than 10 consecutive days.
    • Receive a change of pay, a promotion, or a change in their core duties.
    • Do not show up on their first day of work, including whatever reason they gave for non-attendance.
    • Appear to have breached the conditions of their leave.
    • Are absent from work without pay for 4 weeks for exceptions that are not permitted in the sponsor guidance.

    Change of Circumstances Form

    Usually, employers can enter most business-related changes on the SMS except where a level 1 user is not available for some reason and certain changes of circumstances occur that warrant a report.

    These changes include:

    • Assigning a new level 1 user.
    • Replacing the key contact or authorising officer.
    • Appointing a representative as the level 1 user.
    • Surrendering your licence.

    Priority Change of Circumstances Service

    This service allows sponsors to prioritise certain requests each day, by submitting an application via email. While the service does not guarantee the approval of users’ requests, they can use it for cases which include the following:

    • Allocation of additional Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS).
    • Allocation of annual CoS.
    • Addition of a new level 1 user.
    • Change of level 1 user.
    • Replacement of the authorising officer.
    • Amendment of the authorising officer.
    • Replacement of the key contact.
    • Amendment of the key contact.
    • Addition of a representative.
    • Amendment of the organisation’s details such as relocation.

    Sponsor licence change of circumstances? Our team of immigration experts can help you! Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      The Sponsor Management System (SMS)

      The SMS is the online tool used by UK employers for fulfilling sponsor duties. An employer must, first, submit a sponsor licence application which must be approved for him/her to access the SMS.

      Sponsorship Management Roles

      The roles involved in the management of the SMS are:

      • Authorising officer – A senior and competent person responsible for the actions of staff and representatives who use the SMS.
      • Key contact – This is the main point of contact with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
      • Level 1 user – Responsible for all day-to-day management of your licence using the SMS.

      Steps to apply for a Sponsor Licence

      In applying for a sponsor licence, the prospective sponsor must:

      • Ensure that the business is eligible.
      • Confirm that available jobs are suitable for sponsorship.
      • Decide the type of licence they want to apply for.
      • Appoint those who will manage their SMS account.
      • Gather the necessary documents and apply online.

      It usually takes eight weeks to get a response. Alternatively, applicants can get priority service for £500, reducing the response time to 10 working days.

      If the application is successful, the employer would be able to fulfil his/her sponsor licence obligations through the SMS.

      With the SMS, the sponsor licence holder can request and assign certificates of sponsorship to migrant workers within and outside the UK, report changes regarding sponsored employees and the business, and perform other related functions.

      Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on if there are any sponsor licence change of circumstances Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        Why You must inform the Home Office Of Any Change of Circumstances

        There are compliance requirements that must be fulfilled throughout the validity period of the sponsor licence. These include reporting changes in any sponsored worker’s circumstances.

        Significant trust is placed in sponsors and they must ensure they comply with immigration law and wider UK law, and not behave in a manner that is not conducive to the wider public good.

        The reasons to inform the Home Office include the following:

        • Effective management recruitment processes and record-keeping.
        • Monitoring of immigration status and preventing illegal working.
        • Management of the contact details of sponsored employees.
        • Prevention of the abuse of immigration laws and sponsorship arrangements.
        • Early capture of any patterns of behaviour that may cause concern.
        • Addressing possible weaknesses in the process which can cause those patterns.
        • Monitoring compliance with the Immigration Rules, all parts of the Worker and Temporary Worker sponsor guidance, and wider UK law (such as employment law)
        • Ensuring sponsors do not behave in a way that is detrimental to the wider public good.

        Non-Compliance Actions

        The Home Office has a duty to ensure all sponsors fulfil their responsibilities, and that a sponsor’s actions (or omissions) do not create a risk to immigration controls.

        Therefore, compliance checks are carried out by the Home Office to ensure that employers are complying with their sponsor duties. Actions are taken against those who:

        • Pose, or may pose, a threat to immigration control.
        • Fail to comply with the Immigration Rules or Worker and Temporary Worker sponsor guidance.
        • Are convicted of criminal offences or issued with certain civil penalties (such as those for employing illegal workers).
        • Have engaged or are engaging in behaviour or actions that are not conducive to the public good.

        Actions the Home Office may take against employers who fail in fulfilling their compliance requirements include:

        • Reducing their CoS allocation.
        • Downgrading their licence to a B-rating.
        • Suspending their licence.
        • Revoking their licence.
        • Cancelling the permission of their sponsored workers to remain in the UK.
        • Reporting them to the police or other relevant authorities if a criminal or civil offence is believed to have taken place.

        If you have any questions about Sponsor Licence change of circumstances, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

          Fill out the form

          How can IAS Help

          As a sponsor licence holder, you must ensure that certain changes in circumstances relating to your business and sponsored employees are reported to the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) through the SMS or, in certain cases, the change of circumstances form.

          Fulfilling your obligation to the Home Office, as an employer of overseas workers, by reporting at an early stage is critical to keeping or renewing your sponsor licence, or avoiding a sponsor licence downgrade.

          For many reasons, some of which include late or incomplete reports, the Home Office may carry out an unannounced compliance review to check if your processes and Human Resources (HR) systems are effective.

          If you have received a notification of a pending compliance review, you should review your processes to ensure you are ready. Alternatively, you could engage the services of experienced immigration experts who can help you make the necessary adjustments.

          At the Immigration Advice Service (IAS), we will help you prepare adequately for UKVI visits by carrying out a thorough review of your processes and advising on significant changes.

          For prospective sponsors, we will guide you through submitting the initial application for a sponsor licence with the right supporting documentation. We also advise and guide you on the steps to take if your sponsor licence has been downgraded, suspended, or revoked.

          Contact us today on 0333 305 9375 or chat with us online to access an immigration expert who will work with you to ensure you adequately report all necessary sponsor licence change of circumstances and achieve lasting solutions to your sponsor licence concerns.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                  Fill out the form

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    Level 2 users can only report worker activities for CoS that they personally created and assigned. They can also report activities for CoS that have been transferred to them.

                    Otherwise, it is the duty of level 1 SMS users to report migrant activities.

                    There are no rights to appeal in the event of a revocation. You would be able to apply for a new sponsor licence only after the cooling period of 12 months. If you apply before, it will be refused.

                    In the meantime, you should consider the reasons why your licence was revoked in the first instance and correct them all. If possible, you should employ an immigration professional to help you.

                    A compliance check on your business by UKVI may include some or any of the following:

                    • Asking you for additional documents or information and verifying them.
                    • Visiting you on-site.
                    • Carrying out a digital compliance inspection which involves interviewing you via remote video conferencing facilities.
                    • Checking with other government departments, agencies or local authorities.
                    • Considering any other information or evidence that comes to light – for example, while considering applications from your sponsored workers or through allegations from members of the public.