Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

The UK Government Announces New Fee to Enter the Country

The UK is set to introduce an entry fee to foreign nationals entering the country from 2024 onwards in a plan to digitise Border Control.

For help and expert advice on immigration and employment law, contact us on 0333 305 9375 or reach out to us online today.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Details of the new Electronic Travel Authorisation System

    Earlier this year, the UK government announced the introduction of the Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) program. This is part of a larger plan to modernise the UK border by 2025, with the goal of enhancing both border security and the visitor experience. The ETA acts as a virtual permit for individuals who are visiting or passing through the UK for short stays and don’t require a visa.

    Modelled after the United States’ ESTA system, the fully digital process greatly reduces the need for traditional paperwork. Much like how UK citizens must complete an online ESTA application before going to the US, the ETA follows a similar process for foreign travellers coming to the UK.

    Though the exact requirements for obtaining an ETA haven’t been officially revealed by the UK government yet, potential international visitors should be ready to provide their passport details, biometric information, and answer security questions online to secure their ETA. Upon a successful review, permission to travel to the UK will be granted.

    The ETA program is set to replace the current Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW) system.


    UK passport

    Do you need help with an immigration issue? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      Quick Facts about the new ETA scheme

      • The ETA, which costs £10 to apply for (approximately $12.50 or €8.50), offers pre-authorisation for entry into the UK.
      • Approval for the ETA may take up to 72 hours, and once granted, it remains valid for up to 2 years.
      • It’s important to note that the ETA is specifically valid for UK entry only; it is not applicable for any other purpose.
      • The ETA operates as a pre-authorisation system and should not be confused with a traditional visa.

      Who will need an ETA to enter the UK?

      The ETA applies to individuals eligible to travel to the UK without a visa. This includes tourists, those visiting family or friends, individuals coming for business or studies within a six-month period, those with the Creative Worker visa concession, and those transiting through the UK. Irish citizens are exempt from the ETA requirement.

      Phased Implementation for Global Travellers

      The UK is introducing this new system gradually. Commencing in October 2023, it will be applicable to travellers from Qatar. Following that, from February 2024, it will be expanded to citizens of Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.

      Looking ahead, the ETA system’s reach is set to expand even further. By 2024, it is anticipated that all foreign visitors who currently enjoy visa-free access to the UK will fall under the ETA umbrella. This includes travellers from the EU, as well as individuals from countries like Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Israel, New Zealand, South Korea, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, the United States, and more before the close of 2024.

      For more information and updates on the ETA system’s implementation, reach out to an adviser at IAS today on 0333 305 9375, and stay up to date with official government announcements. 

      We can help you if you need help with your visa application or immigration case. Call us now

        Fill out the form

        You may be interested in reading about.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package