Are you looking to bring your partner to the UK?

If you are a non-EEA or Swiss national and you are looking to join your partner in the UK, you must first obtain a valid UK visa. Depending on the type of relationship you have with your partner, there are several different types of Spouse and Partner Visas available to help you join them in the UK.

If you are not yet married to your partner, but you are in a serious, committed relationship, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa. If your intention is to get married, or undergo a civil ceremony when in the UK, you can apply for a Fiance Visa or Proposed Civil Partner Visa. Alternatively, if you are already married to your partner, you will need to apply for a Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa.

We can help you acquire your Spouse Visa. If you get in touch today, one of our highly-qualified lawyers can guide you through the entire enquiry and application process. Your immigration lawyer will ensure that you have the proper evidence to prove your relationship is genuine, that your documents have been checked and that your spouse or partner is eligible to sponsor your visa. He/she will also prepare an extensive Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This will provide details on your case and relevant immigration law in support of your application. Get in touch to discuss your Spouse and Partner Visa options with one of our immigration lawyers.

For more information on the visas available to bring your partner to the UK, please see below.


Am I eligible for a Spouse or Civil Partnership Visa?

If you would like to join your partner in the UK and they currently hold settled status, you can apply for something known as a Spouse or Civil Partnership Visa.

This type of settlement visa will allow you to live in the UK for up to 30 months, after which you can apply for a further extension of 30 months if you continue to meet the requirements. This can then lead to an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK.

More information on Spouse & Civil Partnership Visas

Am I eligible for a Fiance(e) or Civil Engagement Visa?

As the non-European fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you must obtain a Fiance Visa before travelling to the UK to get married or undergo a civil partnership ceremony (you cannot apply from inside the UK).

More information on Fiance and Civil Engagement Visas

Am I eligible for an Unmarried Partner Visa?

An Unmarried Partner Visa allows unmarried partners to enter the UK provided they are in a genuine, long-term, committed relationship with a British citizen. This visa type is also commonly known as a UK Defacto Visa and can be applied in the cases of both heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

More information on Unmarried Partner Visas

How long does a Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa last for?

The initial period after a Spouse comes to the UK on a marriage is 30 months years, after you will be required to apply for a Spouse Visa extension.

The extension of a Spouse Visa is applicable, assuming both parties are still living together and can provide proof of a continuous relationship.

What are my options if I am going through a divorce?

If you’re in the UK on a Spouse Visa and your marriage comes to an end, you will be subject to something known as Spouse Visa curtailment and your visa will be cancelled. Overstaying on a cancelled Spouse Visa can have dire consequences in the long run including being convicted of immigration fraud, immediate deportation and being barred from reapplying to the UK.

Informing the Home Office of this fact almost immediately will work in your favour for any future visa applications.

More information on Spouse Visa curtailment

How can IAS help?

At IAS, we understand the importance of being close to loved ones, and our team of expert immigration specialists are on hand to help make this happen.

The IAS lawyers are available to advise you on the best UK visa options for you and your partner and can help guide you both through each stage of the application process.

Our services include:

  • discussing your circumstances in person, via phone or Skype at a time that suits you;
  • assessing your eligibility for a Spouse Visa or Partner Visa;
  • confirming you have the correct documents before making an application;
  • ensuring you have enough proof that your relationship is ‘genuine’ and ‘longlasting’;
  • preparing a covering Letter of Recommendation to accompany and support your application;
  • liaising with the Home Office during your application;
  • completing the correct documents for your application form to the highest standard.

Get in touch now to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your Spouse Visa application.

More information on...

Spouse and Civil Partner Visas Fiancé and Proposed Partner Visas Unmarried Partner Visas

Our Spouse and Partner Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Horatio: Study Visa with University Sponsorship

Horatio was given a scholarship to study in the UK but has never left his home country, Paraguay.
The university contacted IAS and took over the application for Horatio.  IAS… Read More

Tobin: EEA Permanent Residency Card

Tobin, a German National, split his working days between the UK and Germany. However, due to Brexit, Tobin was unsure about his ability to work in the UK in the… Read More

Fred and Robin: Relocating to the UK

Fred and Robin wanted to relocate from the USA to the UK. They were unsure of their options so they contacted IAS to seek guidance. Fred is a UK National… Read More

Fiance Visa for Thai partner

John (a UK national) met Vitchita (a Thai national) online and stayed in contact with her for many months.
After they met in person, they decided that there was something special… Read More

Linda: Visitor Visa for Fiance

Martin is a UK national who met Linda, his partner, in Nigeria while he was traveling.
The pair quickly hit it off and decided to get engaged.
Linda applied to enter the… Read More

Gaston: Switching from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Gaston had been working in the UK for two years and decided that he wanted to stay in the UK and study.
He was unclear about the process and the… Read More

Latest reviews

The ISA team especially Mr. Guppy Singh were a tremendous help when applying for my wife spouse visa. Their knowledge… Read More
The IAS team were enormously helpful in guiding us through the complex process of applying for a spouse visa. They… Read More
My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More

Latest news

Highly-Skilled Migrants Are Next in the Firing Line in Latest Immigration Scandal Read More

Home Office Accused of Dehumanising Refugees With ‘Systemic Failures’ in Handling Claims Read More

Britain Set to Offer EU Immigration Deal Similar to Free Movement Read More