Considering the Move to Canada from Nigeria for Work Opportunities?
Our team of immigration experts specializes in assisting Nigerians with Canada visa applications. We provide accurate and reliable information on up-to-date requirements, amongst other related conditions, ensuring that you have a clear understanding of all aspects involved. Let us handle every step of your application and make the process as stress-free as possible.
Other Immigration and Emigration Matters
For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:
US – +1 844 290 6312
Ireland – (+353) 061 518 025
UK – (+44) 333 4149244
Overview of Canada Work Visa
The Canada Work Visa is a gateway for foreign nationals, including Nigerians, to live and work in Canada. The Work Visa is a legal authorisation that opens up opportunities for non-Canadians to apply their skills and contribute to the Canadian economy. The types of Canada Work Visas fall mainly under two categories: Working Holiday Visa and the Work Permit.
A Working Holiday Visa presents young adults the exciting opportunity to explore Canada while engaging in work for one or two years. Unfortunately, this type of Work Permit doesn’t extend to Nigerians.
For Nigerians, the Canada Work Permit visa is the most common gateway to work in Canada.
The Canada Work Permit program aims to fill labour shortages by employing highly skilled workers from other countries, including Nigeria.
There are three types of Work Permits – the Employer-specific Work Permit, the Open Work Permit and the Post-graduation Work Permit.
- Overview of Canada Work Visa
- Employer-Specific Work Permit
- Open Work Permit
- Post-Graduation Work Permit
- Who Needs a Temporary Work Visa for Canada?
- General Eligibility Criteria to Obtain for a Work Permit
- Documents Required to Apply for Canada Work Visa
- Do I need a Medical Exam to get a Work Visa?
- Can I Change my Work Visa to Permanent Residence in Canada?
- How Can IAS Help?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Employer-Specific Work Permit
Being the most common type of work permit, the employer-specific work permit ties you to a specific job and employer. To apply for this work permit, a job offer from a Canadian employer is mandatory. This Canadian employer must also possess a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
If your application is successful, you will be issued a work permit valid for your contract’s duration.
Open Work Permit
The Open Work Permit in Canada offers flexibility, allowing you to work for any Canadian employer without being tied to a specific job. To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, you must be:
- Student who has graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution and is waiting for confirmation of permanent residence.
- The spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
- Temporary foreign worker who has completed your work contract.
- A refugee, protected person, or holder of a permanent resident who is subject to an unenforceable removal order.
- A victim of human trafficking applying for a temporary resident permit.
When one or more of the mentioned criteria are met, it’s possible to apply for an Open Work Permit in Canada. The process of applying for an Open Work Permit shares similarity with the regular work permit application process, with one notable difference: there is no requirement for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
Upon successful completion and approval of your work permit application, a valid work permit will be issued for the term of your Canada stay.
Post-Graduation Work Permit
Post-graduation work permits are applicable to Nigerians who have graduated from Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). This permit gives you the liberty to stay in Canada and work full-time for up to three years. To be eligible, you must:
- Have a valid study permit at the time of application.
- Possess a credential from a Canadian DLI.
- Demonstrate authorisation to work off campus.
If you’re uncertain about which Work Permit best suits you IAS is ready to assist you. Our team of IAS attorneys are experts in navigating the process to apply for a Work Permit in Canada.
Collaborating with our legal team greatly minimises the risk of visa denial. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Contact our Nigerian office today at XXX, or for assistance from Canada, call us on +44 (0) 3316300929.
Who Needs a Temporary Work Visa for Canada?
If you plan to go to Canada for employment purposes, it’s mandatory for you to secure a Temporary Work Visa or Work Permit. This Work Permit is necessary if you are engaging in these specific activities:
- Your goal is to be employed in Canada.
- You will earn salary from a company registered in Canada as a business.
- Your location of work will be Canada.
- Your salary will be processed and deposited in a Canadian bank account.
On the other hand, if your primary work location is not in Canada and you’re only in the country for a short period for work-related purposes, then obtaining a Work Permit is not necessary.
The following groups of visitors may be exempt from needing a Canadian Work Permit:
- Foreign Government Workers.
- Foreign Government Representatives and their family members.
- Military personnel.
- Business visitors.
- Performing artists.
- Athletes and their team members.
- Judges, referees, or similar workers.
- Media crews and news reporters.
- Public speakers and convention organizers.
- Evaluators and examiners.
- Health care students.
- Students who are working on campus.
- Civil aviation inspectors.
- Aviation accident inspectors.
- Emergency service providers.
- Expert witnesses and investigators.
- Researchers who have to work in Canada for 120 days only
General Eligibility Criteria to Obtain for a Work Permit
Candidates who wish to apply for a Work Permit must fulfil the following criteria:
- Show an intention to leave Canada once the work permit duration is over.
- Prove the availability of sufficient finances to sustain themselves and their family during their stay in Canada and for the return journey.
- Be free of any criminal record or medical conditions.
- Express a desire to work for a recognised employer in Canada.
- Be able to present necessary documentation confirming their eligibility to enter and work in Canada.
Documents Required to Apply for Canada Work Visa
The documents required to apply for a Work Visa will depend on the type of visa or permit you would like to apply for. The common documents you must have are:
- A valid passport or travel document
- Recent photos
- Complete application forms
- Proof that you have enough funds to support your stay in Canada and return to your home country
- An invitation letter from a Canadian employer (if needed)
- A job offer letter from a Canadian employer (if needed)
- LMIA (if needed)
- CV/ résumé
- Proof of job status in Canada (if needed)
- Marriage certificate (if needed)
- Copy of all the education credentials
- Payment receipts for applicable fees
Do I need a Medical Exam to get a Work Visa?
A medical exam may be required to secure a Work Permit in Canada, depending on certain conditions. These include:
- If you aim to work in a field where public health protection is essential, such as:
- Health services
- Primary or secondary education
- If you will be employed in an agriculture related position
- If you intend to work in Canada for a duration exceeding six months and have lived in a designated country or territory for a continuous six months during the year immediately prior to your intended date of entry into Canada.
Can I Change my Work Visa to Permanent Residence in Canada?
Yes. If you currently possess a Canadian Work Visa, you have the opportunity to change from a Work Visa to permanent residency in Canada.
The immigration attorneys at IAS are happy to assist you with any immigration process to minimise stress and increase your chances of success.
How Can IAS Help?
Our team of expert attorneys is ready to support Nigerian nationals in their journey to secure a work visa for Canada.
With the benefit of our legal team, you can be assured that your application will include all necessary documents, and forms will be filled out precisely, thus minimising the chances of mistakes that could result in application delays or denials.
IAS will review your supporting credentials such as educational certificates, professional qualifications, and other relevant documents to ensure they meet the standards set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
If you’ve previously encountered a refusal in your work visa application, our IAS lawyers are equipped to guide you through the appeal process. We’ll determine the reasons behind the denial of your application and construct a robust case for reconsideration or appeal.
For additional information regarding the work visa application process, addressing concerns, and updates on your application status, our knowledgeable immigration lawyers are here to alleviate any stress and uncertainty tied to your immigration matters. Reach out to us at our office in Nigeria on +23413438882 or on +44 (0) 3316300929.
Last modified on October 26th, 2023 at 11:37 am
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.
The Canada Work Permit of a temporary nature is valid for 6 months or less. Following this duration, you can choose to apply for an extension via the Consulate or plan your return to your country of origin. The total duration of stay in Canada, inclusive of all extensions, is restricted to a maximum of 4 years. The associated cost for this is CAN $155. However, the term for these extensions is contingent on the discretion of the Canadian Consulate
The government of Canada allows individuals possessing a Canadian Work Permit to include their immediate family members in their application. The individuals permitted to accompany you to Canada include your spouse or common-law partner and underage children. In the process of your Work Permit application, it is essential to include their relevant documents for it to be recognised as a family application.
Yes. When migrating to Canada via a permanent residency program, you may ultimately receive public healthcare benefits in Canada, however, this does not start immediately upon your arrival. Instead, you will be without coverage for the initial months after arrival in Canada. If you decide to engage in the IEC Work Holiday Visa in Canada scheme, it is must to secure health insurance that is comprehensive for the entire period of your Canada Work Permit and includes repatriation costs coverage. Often, it’s advisable to buy a comprehensive travel insurance package for Canada that caters to all International Experience Canada (IEC) requirements, including health insurance.