Applying for a Fiancé Visa UK
If you are in the process of applying for a UK Fiancé Visa, you are likely wondering how long this may take.
This visa route is for those who are engaged to a British citizen, person with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, or person with limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or Appendix ECAA. A key condition of the UK Fiancé Visa is that you and your partner must marry within six months of you entering the UK.
When planning a wedding, timing is crucial. For this reason, you should prepare in advance and ensure that you factor in both the time it takes to complete your Fiancé Visa application and Home Office processing times.
How long does it take to get a UK Fiancé Visa?
In typical circumstances, UK Visa & Immigration aims to process UK Fiancé Visa applications within two to three months of receiving them.
However, the time it takes to process your Fiancé Visa application largely depends on the standard.
If your application is missing key documents, contains inconsistencies or common errors, or fails to provide accurate information, this can cause a delay in how long it takes to receive a decision on your Fiancé Visa application.
If your application does not meet the necessary standards, you will be contacted by an immigration official who may ask you to provide further documents or information. Naturally, this will extend the time it takes for you to get a Fiancé Visa.
For this reason, it is essential that you meet all visa requirements and provide the sufficient level of supporting documentation; this will help to speed up the time it takes for the Home Office to process your application.
Contact us if you need support with your Fiancé Visa. We have offices located across the UK, including in London, Manchester, or Birmingham. You can also use the office finder to find the closest branch to you.
How can I avoid delays when submitting a UK Fiancé Visa application?
One of the easiest ways for you to ensure that your application is completed to the highest standard is to receive the legal guidance of a qualified immigration lawyer. IAS’ immigration lawyers have extensive experience when it comes to completing and submitting UK Fiancé Visa applications. We can determine whether you meet the necessary requirements and make sure your application provides all relevant documents and supporting evidence.
Some of the key Fiancé Visa requirements include:
- You and your partner must both be at least 18 years old
- You must prove that you plan to get married to your partner (who must be a British citizen or person with settled status in the UK) within 6 months of you entering the UK
- You must meet the financial requirements, which means proving that you have the means to financially support yourselves as a couple. This requires a combined annual income of at least £18,600; you mustn’t rely on public funds
- You and your partner must prove that you intend to live together in the UK once you are married or in a civil partnership
- You must meet the English language requirement, meaning if you are from a non-English speaking country, you will be required to take an approved English language test to show that you can understand and communicate in English to the level of A1
Which documents are required to speed up the processing time?
If you provide the Home Office with the sufficient level of supporting documentation, this can result in your application being processed quicker.
The documents you provide within your Fiancé Visa application will prove that you are eligible for this visa. These include:
- Copies of any previous passports and visas
- Details of any previous marriages
- Divorce certificates (if applicable)
- Information regarding any criminal convictions
Another key aspect of your application is that you and your partner in the UK need to show that your relationship is genuine. You must provide information about the relationship you and your partner share. This includes evidence of how long you have been together, how you met and how often you see each other. To demonstrate this, you can include documents such as:
- Bank statements of joint accounts
- Details of accommodation that you have lived in together
- Birth certificates of any children you have had together (if applicable)
- Reference letters from family, friends and professionals
Is there a fast-track option for the UK Fiancé Visa?
If you need your application to be processed faster than the typical processing timeframe, you may be eligible for the fast-track priority service.
This can significantly speed up your processing time. Our immigration lawyers offer a Fast-Track Application Package which is ideal for those who require an urgent decision within a strict timeframe.
This package includes:
- One of our lawyers will prepare your application and carry out a supporting documentation check
- We will book a Home Office Same-Day Premium Service slot on your behalf
- We will assist with completing every aspect of your application to the highest standard
- Provide a Letter of Representation to support your case
It is important to note that you must be outside the UK when applying for a Fiancé Visa.
There is an additional cost when using the fast-track priority service, contact one of our professional immigration solicitors on 0330 433 1213 to enquire.