Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

How Much Does a UK Fiance Visa Cost?

If you’re applying for a Fiance visa to get married to a British citizen or resident in the UK, you may have to pay certain fees.

For more information about the Fiance visa, including what you need to be eligible, how to apply, and for bespoke specialist support with your immigration case, reach out to one of our advisers on 0333 4149244, or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of Fiance Visa Costs

    All applicants coming to the UK on a Fiance visa (or UK Fiancé visa) will have to pay certain fees to do so.

    Some of these fees are mandatory, such as the Fiance visa application fee.

    Other fees will only be mandatory for certain applicants and not others. For example, a tuberculosis test or an English language test.

    Lastly, some fees will be completely optional for all applicants, but you may still wish to pay them, depending on your circumstances. These include things such as priority visa processing services and legal representation fees.

    Note that due to their similarities, the information on this page can also be applied to the Proposed Civil Partner visa as well.

    How Much is the Fiance Visa Application Fee?

    The Fiance visa UK application fee is £1,538.

    This is the total cost for the Home Office to process your application to allow you to come to the UK.

    Note that this cost is identical to other types of Family visas, such as the Spouse visa or the Civil Partnership visa.

    However, the actual visa restrictions are very different between Fiance visas, Proposed Civil Partner visas and other types of Family visas.

    For example, Fiance and Proposed Civil partner visas:

    • Are only valid for a maximum of 6 months (though they can be extended in certain exceptional situations)
    • Cannot lead to indefinite leave to remain, and cannot be counted towards the minimum residency requirement for indefinite leave to remain
    • Only allow you to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK, with no allowances to work or study in the UK

    Because of this, it’s worth keeping in mind the differences in freedoms that these visas will afford you, despite their similar cost.

    What Are the Fees I Might Have to Pay With a Fiance Visa?

    There are a number of fees you may be required to pay when applying for a Fiance visa.

    Tuberculosis Test

    It is a Home Office requirement that residents of certain countries must take a tuberculosis test before coming to the UK.

    If your country is on the required list, it may cost between £65 to £110 to take a test, depending on where you are.

    Note that you may also have to pay extra for transportation if your nearest Home Office-approved clinic is far away from where you live.

    Document Translations

    When you submit supporting documents with your Fiance visa, you will have to provide certified translations of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

    Costs of obtaining translations will vary greatly depending on where you are and the type of documents you wish to have translated.

    However, as a general guide, translating a single page from a document may cost around £60.

    English Language Test

    You will have to take a language test to prove your English language skills before coming to the UK, unless you:

    • Are 65 or over
    • Are from a majority English-speaking country
    • Completed a degree that was mostly taught in English

    English language tests will vary depending on which test you take. However, the most common test, the IELTS Life Skills A1 test, costs £150 to sit.

    Ecctis Certificates

    It may be the case that you wish to bypass the requirement to take an English test because you have a degree or an academic qualification that was mostly taught in English.

    If so, then you will need to prove that your degree is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher and that it was taught in English.

    You must do this by obtaining a certificate from Ecctis.

    These certificates will cost between £49.50 and £210.

    What Are Some Optional Fees for the Fiance Visa?

    As well as mandatory fees, there are some optional fees you may wish to pay with your Fiance visa.

    Priority Visa Processing

    You may be able to access priority visa processing if you need your Fiance visa approved as a matter of urgency.

    The standard processing time for Fiance visas is usually around 6 months. However, you may be able to get your application processed in 1 week or less with a priority visa service.

    This will usually cost around £500 to £800.

    It’s important to note that priority visa processing may not always be available for your local region or country. In addition, the Home Office may, and do, withdraw the ability for Family visas to be processed through priority visa streams.

    You will need to check to see if these services are available to you when submitting your Fiance visa application.

    Legal Representation Fees

    You may wish to seek additional support in the form of legal aid or representation with your Fiance visa application.

    This can be to ensure that your visa application process is kept as smooth and stress-free as possible, or if you require assistance with a difficult immigration issue.

    There is a wide range of legal services available to you, which range from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand pounds.

    For more information about IAS’s packages and how we could help your Fiance visa or Family case, reach out to us on 0333 4149244, or contact us online.

    Contact us today if you require assistance with your Fiance visa application. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      Will I Have to Pay the Immigration Health Surcharge?

      You will not have to pay the immigration health surcharge (IHS) when applying for a Fiance visa.

      Applicants only need to pay the IHS if they’re applying to come to the UK for more than 6 months or if they’re applying for a visa from within the UK.

      As the Fiance visa doesn’t fit in either of these categories, you won’t have to worry about paying the IHS fees.

      However, you will have to pay the IHS if and when you switch from a Fiance visa to a Spouse visa.

      How Much Does it Cost to Switch to a UK Spouse Visa?

      The eventual goal of a typical Fiance visa applicant is to switch to a Spouse visa, as this will allow them to live, work and study in the UK long term.

      Switching to a Spouse visa will cost £1,048.

      You will be able to switch to a Spouse visa after you’ve come to the UK on a Fiance visa and fulfilled the conditions of your visa by getting married or entering into a civil partnership.

      Note that you may also have to pay additional fees, such as the ones outlined in the above sections, to prove your eligibility for the Spouse visa.

      You will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge when switching to a Spouse visa. This is £624 a year for every year you’ll be in the UK.

      Can My Fiance Visa Application Fee Be Refunded?

      It’s only possible to obtain a refund on your Fiance visa application if you withdraw your application before a decision has been made on it.

      However, note that even in this instance, a refund isn’t always guaranteed.

      You will not get a refund on your Fiance visa application fee if:

      • Your visa application is refused
      • Your visa is approved but you decide not to travel to the UK after all
      • You leave the UK before your visa expires

      How Do I Pay My Fiance Visa Application Fee?

      You must pay your Fiance visa application fee online when you fill out your application.

      You can use a credit or debit card to pay the fee. You cannot use cash.

      You may use your local currency to pay the fee instead of pounds sterling. This will be paid using an exchange rate that is set by the Home Office.

      How Can IAS Help?

      Fiance visas and Proposed Civil Partner visas are a popular route for many foreign nationals looking to transition into the Spouse visa UK immigration route.

      However, it’s important in any visa application to be fully aware of the costs, fees and charges that go into a visa application. As this article has demonstrated, there is often much more to consider other than simply paying the application fee.

      If you require any more advice or assistance with your UK Fiance visa application or any other immigration issue, IAS are here to help.

      We are expert, professional immigration lawyers who offer high-quality UK immigration advice regardless of your situation or circumstances. Whether you’re struggling with your visa application, need additional advice because of a difficult immigration case, or want to appeal an immigration decision, we can help.

      For more information about the services we offer and what we can do for you, reach out to an immigration lawyer for a consultation. Call us on 0333 4149244, or contact us online.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + Expert Consultation Call us now

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package