Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Moving to the UK after Brexit as a Portuguese citizen

Are you looking to move to the United Kingdom from Portugal?

Living in the UK after Brexit can seem complex, but our expert immigration lawyers can guide you through it; for more information, speak to them today at +44333 305 9375.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Moving to the United Kingdom

    The UK is currently home to over 250,000 citizens from Portugal who make up a significant proportion of the UK’s immigrant population. Portuguese citizens choose to move to Britain for many reasons, including to study as world-class education institutions, to pursue the many career options available in the country or to join partners or family members who are already residing in the country.

    It can be easy for citizens from Portugal to settle into the UK, thanks to the many Portuguese communities across the country. Including the popular Little Portugal in London, home to an estimated 27,000 Portuguese nationals, the area brings a little bit of Portugal to the United Kingdom so you won’t feel too far from home.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Can Portuguese citizens still move to the UK after Brexit?

    Following the end of the Brexit transition period and the UK’s departure from the European Union, immigration between Portugal and the United Kingdom has changed drastically. The main change is that freedom of movement between the UK and the EU countries officially ended on the 31 December 2020. This means that to move to Britain, Portuguese citizens must now secure a UK visa that grants them entry into the country.

    Although it is more difficult for Portuguese citizens to make the United Kingdom their home now, it is still very possible and there is a wide range of visas that citizens from Portugal could be eligible for.

    EU citizens who were already living in the United Kingdom before the 1 January 2021 however, may not be affected by the immigration changes. The Withdrawal Agreement ensures that the rights of Portuguese citizens, alongside other EU citizens living in the UK, are protected. If you were resident in the UK before this date, then you could be eligible for the EU settlement scheme.

    If you are granted leave to remain under the EU settlement scheme, you will not need a visa to continue living in the country. EU citizens can apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme on the website. Settled status will usually be granted to those who have lived in the UK for more than 5 years, pre-settled will be granted to those who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years. Those with pre-settled status will later be able to apply for settled status after they have met the 5 year requirement.

    UK visas for Portuguese citizens

    Citizens of Portugal must now apply for a visa to come to the country under the new points-based immigration system recently introduced by the UK government. If you are planning to visit as a tourist for no more than 90 days, you do not need to apply for a visa.

    The points-based system requires you to score a specific number of points depending on the type of visa you are applying for. These points can usually be achieved by meeting requirements such as understanding the English language or proving that you can support yourself financially whilst in the country.

    Many visas are open to citizens of Portugal, the one you will need will depend on why you want to come to the United Kingdom and how long you intend to stay. Some of the most common visas include:

    These visas are used to work, study and join partners in the UK. There are also visa options for those intending to start a business in the UK, such as the Startup Visa, Innovator Visa and Investor Visa.

    Permanent residency and settled status for citizens of Portugal

    Portuguese nationals can usually become permanent residents in Britain after living in the country on a valid visa for at least 5 years. To be able to live in the country permanently you will need to apply for settled status under Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Many routes lead to ILR, just a few of these include:

    As well as meeting the residency requirement, there are a few other requirements that you will need to meet to be granted ILR, these include:

    Indefinite Leave to Remain is also a key step for Portuguese nationals who are hoping to become a British citizen. Once you have held ILR for at least 12 months, you could be eligible to apply for British citizenship via naturalisation. Having British citizenship will give you the freedom to live, study and work in the UK free of immigration restrictions. As well as this, you will have the rights of anyone else with British citizenship, including the right to a British passport and the right to vote in all UK elections.

    There are also other routes to becoming a British citizen. These include:

    Goan residents in the UK

    Over the past few years thousands of Goans have moved to the UK using their Portuguese nationality. Portuguese immigration law states that those born before Goa’s liberation in December 1961 and two generations following this can opt for Portuguese nationality and be granted Portuguese passports. Many Goans have taken advantage of this law, which makes it much easier for them to settle in the UK.

    The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of all Portuguese citizens in the UK, including those of Goan-origin. So, those living in the UK prior to the 1 January 2021, will be able to remain in the UK under the EU settlement scheme. Goan-origin Portuguese nationals will either be granted pre-settled or settled status, depending on how long they have resided in the UK. The deadline for applying is the 30 June 2021. As well as this, Goans that hold Portuguese passports will be able to move to the UK in the same way that Portuguese citizens can, by applying for one of the many UK visas.

    For more information about moving to the UK from Portugal speak to our lawyers today Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      How can IAS help?

      Moving to the UK from Portugal is an exciting and life-changing event, but with the UK’s recent departure from the EU, it can be particularly complex to make the move at the moment. This is why it is highly recommended that you seek the assistance of a reliable immigration lawyer to assist you on your immigration journey.

      Our lawyers here at IAS are well versed in UK immigration law, and they are trained in all the lasted changes to the UK’s immigration rules. With their help, moving to the UK can be simple despite the changes that Brexit has brought. One of our lawyers can advise you about the best visa option for you, depending on your plans for life here and will also assess your eligibility for the vast amount of British visas.

      Here at IAS, we offer a range of services to assist with immigration applications. Once you have decided on the visa you would like to apply for, our lawyers will be there for you throughout the entire application process. They can fill in the application on your behalf, help you meet all of the requirements and to gather all of the documents that you will need and will take the stress out of your visa application completely by communicating with the Home Office on your behalf.

      Whether you want to live, study, join family, or work in the UK, our immigration solicitors will help you to achieve your dream of making the country your home. To find out more about your immigration options, contact us today on 0333 305 9375.

      Our lawyers offer emigration support and advice, get in touch today to find out more Contact us

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  To move to the UK from Portugal, you will first need to apply for a visa under the new points-based immigration system. They type of visa you need will depend on why you are moving to the UK. There are UK visas available to people who want to work, study or join family members in the UK. You can apply for visas online at the website.

                  Once you have been successfully granted a UK visa you can move to the UK, you will usually need to pick up your biometric residence permit upon your arrival in the country. This residence document can be used to show your immigration rights in the UK. The Home Office will inform you about where to get your residence card from.

                  When moving to the UK you will usually need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, this gives you access to the UK’s healthcare system, the NHS. The fee is usually £624 per year, but NHS workers are now exempt and some people are entitled to reductions.

                  For more information about moving to Britain, get in touch now on 0333 305 9375.

                  No, you don’t need a job to move to the UK. Although several work visas allow citizens of Portugal to move to the UK to work, there are various other visa options available that will also give you the right to live in the United Kingdom.

                  If you would like to study here, then a Student Visa would allow you to live in the UK for the duration of your studies, this can later be switched to a work visa after you have completed your studies.

                  If your partner is in the UK then the Spouse Visa or Unmarried partner visa will allow you to live and work in the UK. They are valid for up to 30 months, can be extended and are also a route to Indefinite Leave to Remain.

                  If you have family members living in the UK, then you may also be able to join them here on a dependent visa or another type of family visa such as the Ancestry Visa.

                  For more information about UK visas, contact us now on 0333 305 9375.

                  Many of the UK visas allow you to bring family members with you to live in the UK. This usually includes partners, children under the age of 18 and children over the age of 18 in some circumstances. Some of the visas that allow you to bring family with you to the UK include the:

                  • Skilled Worker Visa
                  • Innovator Visa
                  • Spouse Visa

                  It’s important to note that some visas do not allow you to bring family members with you and that if you do plan to bring family, you will usually need to meet additional maintenance requirements and pay additional application fees.

                  If you’re considering bringing family members with you to the UK, speak to one of our lawyers today, they can answer any questions that you may have and will let know whether you are eligible to bring family with you.