Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Recruiting Social Care Workers From Overseas

With the addition of SOC code 6145 to the Shortage Occupation List, care providers who wish to recruit health and social care workers from overseas can benefit from an expedited visa process.

For more information about overseas care worker visas, call one of our trusted legal advisors today at 0333 305 9375, or contact us online.


The Shortage Occupation List

The Shortage Occupation List (SOL) is a list of occupations considered to be in high demand and for which there is a shortage of workers based on the assessment of UK’s Appendix Skilled Occupations.

Upon the recommendation of the Migration Advisory Committee, the government deemed it necessary to fast-track the international recruitment of health and care workers by adding care sector roles to the UK Shortage Occupation List. As a result, care assistants and home care workers from overseas could join the UK health and care workers.

In her statement, Home Secretary Priti Patel MP said that the changes in the health and care visa requirements “will bolster the workforce and help alleviate some of the pressures currently being experienced”.

Care Roles Added to the Shortage Occupation List

The recent SOL update includes additional care roles with SOC code 6145, which provides care workers, home carers and support workers in nursing homes. A UK employer with a sponsor license can recruit care workers from overseas subject to eligibility criteria.

Fortunately for care providers, recruiting social care workers from overseas becomes quicker, cheaper and easier.

Before the update, the Shortage Occupation List included SOC Code 6146 for senior care workers, Code 2442 for social workers and code 1242 for care managers and proprietors.


Sponsor Requirements To Hire Care Workers

In August 2020, the health care worker visa was initiated as part of the UK’s new immigration system under the skilled worker route. The health care worker visa allows medical professionals overseas to stay and work with the NHS, an NHS supplier, or in adult social care.

Eligible employers looking to hire overseas care workers must have a valid sponsor licence from the Home Office.

The sponsor licence allows an organization to sponsor and employ skilled overseas workers for its business. Note that sponsorship licence is limited to organizations and is not granted to private individuals. The Home Office deemed it necessary to issue a sponsor licence to prevent illegal recruitment and abuse of the Uk’s immigration rules.

How to Apply for a Sponsor Licence

To be a sponsor, an employer must provide the correct documentation and information to the Home Office. Some typical documents include the employer’s liability insurance, VAT certificate, bank statements and evidence of PAYE registration.
Scan and submit your submission sheet and the supporting documents to the email address provided in the submission sheet. The submission must:

  • be in PDF, JPEG or PNG format
  • include descriptive titles
  • be of high-quality resolution to be readable

After submitting the documents, applicants have five days to pay the required licence fee. Small companies must pay a sponsor licence fee of £536, while medium and large organizations must pay £1,476. UK Visas and Immigration typically takes about eight weeks to process a licence application. Sponsor licence applicants may apply for fast-tracked processing and get a decision in 10 working days for an additional fee of £500.

You can expect the Home Office to inquire for further details. Failure to adequately answer and provide supporting documents for the inquiries within seven days may result in the rejection of your application.

The UK Visa Sponsorship Management System (SMS)

An organization applying for a sponsor licence will use the sponsorship management system as a point of contact with the UK Visas Immigration.

That being the case, the organization must appoint people who will serve as a senior and competent person to be in charge of the actions of staff who use the SMS.

sponsor requirements to hire care workers

Requirements To Qualify For Health And Care Visa

Health and Care visa applicants can benefit from the fast-tracked entry scheme to the UK, reduced visa fees, and the Immigration Health Surcharge exemption. However, they may still need to meet the following requirements to qualify for the health and care visa:

Valid Certificate of Sponsorship

Under SOC Code 6145, the employer hires the applicant with the intent to employ them as care providers in residential and daycare establishments. The care workers may also work in the homes of employers.

Overseas workers applying under the SOC Code 6145 will need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship issued by an employer authorized to sponsor applicants for the eligible job.

Minimum Salary Threshold of £20,480 Per year

Typically, the minimum salary requirement under the Skilled Worker Visa route is £25,600 per year. However, the minimum salary requirement is £20,480 per year for skilled worker visa applicants who benefit from tradeable points, such as the job offer under the shortage occupation list.

Applicant Must Meet the Maintenance Requirement

Health and care visa applicants must meet the maintenance required to work in the UK and show proof of funds of at least £1,270 in their bank account for at least 28 days.

As an alternative, the employer may confirm willingness to cover the applicant’s cost of the stay for the first month. The idea is to let the care worker visa applicants show that they are financially capable of supporting themselves while working as a health and social care workers in the UK.

English Language Requirement

Under the immigration rules, worker visa applicants to the UK must be able to speak, understand, read and write English. They must achieve at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ( CEFR ) scale.

The ability to communicate in English is important for communication purposes and to provide quality care to those who need it. By ensuring that all care team members can effectively communicate with one another, organizations can create a positive and supportive work environment that is conducive to providing quality care.

Visa knowledge of English by passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider.

Background Checks and Health Care Screening

Organizations looking to hire care providers overseas must conduct criminal record checks and tuberculosis tests on all potential employees to ensure the safety of those in their care. Background checks and health screenings are likely required for care staff roles, so it’s important to ensure your prospective recruit has the necessary documentation.

By requiring these checks, organizations can feel confident that they are hiring staff who are fit and able to do the job safely.

Moreover, while applicants may not need to worry about academic entry requirements, they must be at least 18 years old and have experience working as a care provider in a health and care setting.

Do you need help with recruiting social care workers from overseas? Our lawyers can assist you.

The Health And Care Worker Visa Application Process

To apply for a Health and Care Worker visa, applicants must complete the standard Skilled Worker application form and check the box to confirm their interest in applying for the subcategory visa.

The next step is they will need to apply online and submit their CoS, along with proof of identity and other relevant documents.

The Health and Care Worker visa offers successful applicants and their dependants the opportunity to relocate to the UK. The applicants may also bring their families, provided they are also eligible.

Eligible family members must show proof of funds to support themselves on arrival. The cost for a partner is £285, for one child, it is £315, and for each additional child, it is £200. The family may provide evidence of their ability to support themselves. However, the sponsor may also cover the family costs in some instances.


How Can IAS Help?

Health care organizations gain a competitive advantage by employing international care workers. However, hiring care workers overseas can be challenging, especially for organizations unfamiliar with the process. While most health and care visa sponsorship and applications succeed, many fall short of the requirements and eligibility criteria. In short, some sponsors and applicants committed mistakes that led to undue stress, difficulty and unnecessary costs.

As difficult as this may sound, you don’t have to go it alone. Immigration Advice Service can help.

We are professional, experienced and sympathetic immigration advisers with a long history of working with organizations that employ health and social care workers overseas. If you are a care provider looking to recruit health and social care workers, we can work with you to prepare for it and ensure that you have the best chance of bringing applicants to stay and work in your organisation.

We can help you and your applicant prepare your responses, assemble your supporting documents, and assist with formatting and drafting letters to help with your case. We can also brief you and your applicant on the most common pitfalls people fall into and things to look out for in the interview so you can go into it feeling confident, well-prepared and reassured.

For more information about the services we offer and how we can help you in recruiting social care workers from overseas or with the UK visa application process, reach out to us 0333 305 9375, or contact us online.

Do you need help with recruiting social care workers from overseas? Our lawyers can assist you.

Our expert employment support and advice sessions are available in person at our offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can hire a carer from abroad. A few things to keep in mind when recruiting social care workers from overseas include ensuring that they meet the qualifications and experience requirements.

The UK Care Quality Commission (CQC) has strict standards for carers working in the country, so you will need to ensure that your applicants meet these standards before applying for a health and care visa.

The SRA is the governing body for solicitors in the UK. They provide guidance and support to the public on seeking help from solicitors and what to expect from the process.

Foreign nationals from the countries under UK’s travel red list are not allowed to travel to England.

Currently, no countries are listed in the red list, making it possible to recruit carers from South Africa to stay and work in the UK.

This code of practice aims to promote high standards of ethical practice in recruiting workers in the health and social care sector. Under these guidelines, all newly appointed international health and social care personnel must receive appropriate training and support.

In addition, as part of the ethical international recruitment process, all health and social care employers must record international recruitment activities to determine the effect of international recruitment on the UK’s health and social care industry and the country of origin.

The skilled worker route allows care worker visa applicants to come and do an eligible job for a Home Officed-approved employer in the UK. The sponsor hires the applicant to do a specific job which meets the skill and salary requirements set forth under the immigration rules.

We can guide you into ethical international recruitment and support other aspects of the skilled worker visa process.

This code of practice ensures that adherence to ethical recruitment practices. It supports the UK government in monitoring and measuring the impact of international recruitment flows in the health industry of both countries.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us