Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Tier 2 Visa UK: Ending your employment

It can be quite common, for whatever reason, for workers on a Skilled Worker Visa (previously Tier 2 Visa) to have their employment terminated early.

Read our 899 reviews

Tier 2 Visa UK: Ending your employment

It can be quite common, for whatever reason, for workers on a Tier 2 Visa to have their employment terminated early. This could be due to resignation, redundancy or dismissal, or the early finish of a project.

If this has happened, you will receive a curtailment of leave on your Tier 2 Visa. This will shorten your leave to be in the UK to 60 days or until the end of your visa – whichever is the shortest.

What is a Tier 2 Visa?

A Tier 2 Visa was given to workers who come from outside the UK and EU and who want to come to Britain. They had to meet set criteria – including earning at least £30,000 – and the job must be in demand unless it is on the Shortage Occupation List.

The Tier 2 Visa has recently been replaced by the Skilled Worker Visa, as part of the UK’s new points-based immigration system. The Skilled Worker Visa is similar to the previous Tier 2 Visa but is open to both non-EU and EU citizens and has varying requirements, including a lower salary threshold.

If you currently live in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa, this visa is still valid but you will need to apply to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Redundancy or dismissal

If you’re on a Tier 2 Visa or Skilled Worker Visa and you have lost your job whether through a workplace restructureunfair dismissalconstructive or other dismissals, it is the responsibility of your employer to inform the Home Office.

They will need to inform the Home Office within 10 days of your final work date. The Home Office will then send a letter to you detailing the curtailment of leave to you. For this, it is very important that the Home Office has up-to-date information on where you live so that the letter is sent to the correct address.

Once you receive this letter, you will have 60 days or until the end of your visa to either make a new job application or leave the country.

Making a new application

If you decide to apply for a new job in the UK, you will also need to apply for a new Skilled Worker Visa. This means that your new employer will have to hold a Sponsor Licence in order to sponsor your visa application.

If you are offered a job from a company without a Sponsor Licence, they may be able to apply for one before your leave to remain ends, meaning you will not have to leave the country.

This may be difficult, however, as the company will need to make the Sponsor Licence application within 60 days or less. Previously the company would also need to offer you a job which passes the Resident Labour Market Test in this time, but under the new immigration system this is no longer required.

Should you find a company that can offer you the right Certificate of Sponsorship within 60 days, you will be able to stay in the UK until a decision on your new Skilled Worker Visa is made.

Finding a new job

Because your leave has been curtailed, you will not be entitled to work until you have received your new visa. You will need to be prepared to support yourself without working during this time.

Additionally, the minimum salary requirement will still apply to your new job, so taking a lower salary is not advised.

Switching visas

If applying for a new Skilled Worker Visa is not realistic for you, you may be able to stay in the UK on a different visa type depending on your circumstances.

Family Visas

The most common non-work visa is a Partner Visa. If you have a partner or spouse who is a British citizen or has Settled Status in the UK, this could be a great opportunity to remain in the UK.

Those working on a Spouse Visa will not need their job sponsored by a licenced sponsor and will not need to meet the minimum salary requirement.

Alternatively, a Family Visa could be an opportunity to stay in the UK for those with British children who might be unable to stay as a spouse or partner.

Tier 1 Visas

Tier 2 workers are able to switch from Tier 2 to Tier 1 Visas, such as the Entrepreneur Visa. If you have a genuine business idea and are able to develop a successful business plan, this visa would allow you to remain in the UK to set up a business without the need for sponsorship.

Student Visa

You can also switch from a Tier 2 Visa to a Student Visa to study at a higher level than any qualifications that you currently hold. This application will also require you to be sponsored by a licenced higher education organisation, so it may also come with some difficulties in such a short time frame.

Tier 2 cooling-off period

Should your 60-day leave expire, you will have to leave the UK and reapply from your country of origin. Applying for a Tier 2 Visa comes with a 1-year cooling-off period.

This means that if you’re intending to re-enter the country to work, you’ll either have to wait a year or enter on a different visa type.

Leaving the country early

Your Tier 2 Visa could be coming to an end because you’ve been offered a job somewhere else in the world. Leaving your current job will mean that your leave to remain is no longer sponsored by your employer. You will need to be careful that you are still within the Home Office’s limitations.

If you’ve submitted your resignation to your Tier 2 sponsor, some responsibilities will fall on you to make sure that everything is done correctly.

What you need to report

When you submit your notice of resignation, it is advised that you also send a copy to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You should also include your proposed leaving date with this notice to UKVI.

What your sponsor needs to report

Your sponsor will also have to inform the Home Office of your resignation within 10 days of it being issued.

Once they have received this, they will send a letter to you to say that your leave has been curtailed to 60 days or until your visa ends.

If both you and your employer report your decision to stop working in the UK, it will ensure you are still complying to your visa restrictions and will not affect any future applications you make.

When you need to leave

Although you are not required to leave until the end of this 60-day period, it is advised that you should leave as soon as is viable to ensure that further applications to enter the UK are not put at risk.

There is no longer a 28-day grace period of overstaying after these 60 days. Once your time is up, you will be in the UK illegally.

Re-entry to the country

Following these steps will mean that any future intentions you have to enter the UK will not be at risk due to non-compliance with the Home Office.

If you intend to visit using a Travel Visa, your previous record will show that you are not at risk of absconding and may give you a better chance of having your visa granted.

Experiencing a Tier 2 Visa termination of employment will most likely be a stressful time of significant upheaval in your life. Make sure you follow the rules of the Home Office by receiving expert advice from an experienced UK immigration solicitor. We have highly trained lawyers based in LondonBirminghamManchester and many other areas across the UK. Call us on 0333 363 8577 or use our online contact form today.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Services we Provide

Related Posts

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us