Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

What to do with an old passport

Passports hold important personal information and travel history, even when expired. You may want to keep it in a safe place for your reference, but there are ways to dispose of it safely to protect your sensitive information and prevent identity theft.

If you would like assistance with your UK visa application or are in need of some assistance in assessing your eligibility, contact IAS today at +1 844 290 6312. We are here to help you online, in person, or over the phone.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Can I throw away my passport?

    When your passport has expired, you may feel like throwing it away. However, this is one of the many ways your identity can be compromised.

    Not only that but if you are a victim of identity theft, this exposes you to fraud and will hinder any application to renew your passport.

    As a passport is an official document of your nationality, travel history, address, Right to Work for British passport holders, and access to consular assistance overseas, it is vital that you protect this document.

    Sarah Rapson from the Identity and Passport service suggests: ‘Your passport is not only increasingly attractive to fraudsters, but it will cost you at least £77.50 to replace, so it’s really important that you keep it safe both when you are at home and when you’re abroad.’

    This still applies to an expired passport.

    Passports are made to be durable documents that are not easily duplicated or forged. Because of this, it is advised you do not attempt to destroy your old passports yourself.

    Instead, follow the steps below to return your expired passport to the The UK Passport Office where they will dispose of your invalid documents in a safe, thorough way.

    Where do I return my old UK passport?

    It is advised you refrain from simply throwing it away at home, and instead send all expired passports to the the UK Passport Office via postal service so they can dispose of it properly by incineration.

    Passports are currently non-recyclable materials.

    How to send an expired passport to be disposed of

    To safely dispose of any old passports, simply send to The UK Passport Office:

    1. Securely package your old passports in a parcel or large envelope.
    2. Include a note within the parcel stating that you would like your passports to be disposed of.
    3. Seal the parcel and clearly write the address of the UK Passport Office on the front of your envelope. The UK Passport Office is a freepost address, so you will not need a stamp.
    4. Deliver to your local Post Office where they will post your old passports via Royal Mail.

    Passport renewal

    You are required to renew your passport before travel if your passport:

    • Has less than 6 months validity
    • Has expired
    • Has significant damage or rips

    Without your old passport, a renewal application will be more complicated and time consuming.

    You will be required to apply as if you have had your passport lost or stolen, which entails providing a counter signatory, who will need to provide personal details and will hinder your application process.

    To renew your passport, you must apply online via the website. You will need:

    • A digital passport appropriate photo of the applicant
    • A credit/debit card
    • Your current valid passport

    To renew a passport, the current cost is £75.50.

    Lost or Stolen Passport

    You must cancel your lost or stolen passport immediately through This is to prevent identity theft and safeguard your personal details.

    If your passport is stolen, report it to the police by calling 101 in the UK.

    If your passport is stolen abroad, report it to the local police department and ask for a written report which may be required of you by the British Embassy if you begin a replacement passport application.

    You will need the name and contact details of someone who can confirm your identity.

    Will Brexit mean I have to get a new passport?

    UK citizens with a European Union passport will still be able to use their current passports after Brexit as long as it is valid for travel.

    Post Brexit, all UK passports will retain their validity as British travel documents, but they will have less freedom within Eu travel.

    Can I replace my passport via paper application?

    Paper postal application forms are available to complete through your local Post Office. Alternatively, you are able to request an application form from Passport Advice.

    To complete this application, you will need:

    • 2 identical passport appropriate images of yourself.

    For more information on paper passport renewal applications, click here.

    Do you need help with an immigration issue? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      You may be interested in reading about.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package