Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Extending Your UK Visa: Tier 1, Tier 2 & Spouse Visa Extensions

As your UK visa approaches its expiration, you may be considering the ways in which you can extend it.

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help & assistance with your visa extension. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


A Guide to Visa Extensions

As your UK visa approaches its expiration, you may be considering the ways in which you can extend it. Perhaps you want to carry on progressing your career or building a home and life with your partner. You may even want to extend your stay so that you can make the first steps towards becoming a permanent resident of the UK.

Below you can find a detailed explanation of the extension processes for three of the most popular UK visa systems.

This guide has been put together carefully, to help you understand your options, requirements, and next-steps when it comes to extending your visa if you are living in the UK as a Tier 1, Tier 2 or Spouse Visa holder.

Would you like to discuss your UK Visa Extension options with our Immigration Experts?

Spouse or Unmarried Partner Visa Extensions

A Spouse/Unmarried Partner Visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 30 months and can be extended for a further 30 months after this. To extend your Partner Visa, you can submit an FLR (M) form application to the Home Office.

The requirements for a Spouse/Partner Visa extension are as follows:

  • You continue to meet the Spouse visa financial requirements (for a partner applying under Appendix FM who has no dependents, the income threshold is a gross annual salary of at least £18,600).
  • English language requirements – any applicant whose ‘leave to remain as a partner’ expired on or after 1st May 2017 must satisfy the new English language requirements. You will be tested on your writing, reading, listening and speaking abilities.
  • You are in a genuine relationship and will continue living together permanently
  • You meet suitability requirements – this relates to your character, conduct and previous immigration history
  • You have the required immigration status i.e. you are in the UK lawfully

Tier 2 Visa Extensions 

The total amount of time you can stay in the UK with a Tier 2 Visa is up to 6 years, including any extensions.

If you are still employed by the same company as in your initial Tier 2 Visa application, and if you continue to meet the same eligibility requirements, then you can apply for an extension of your Tier 2 Visa.

Your employer must apply for an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) as soon as they have agreed to extend your contract. Once the new CoS has been assigned, you have three months to apply for your Tier 2 Visa extension or 60 days before your current visa expires – whichever occurs sooner.

To be granted an extension of your Tier 2 Visa, you must:

  • Earn an appropriate salary for your role – this cannot be a lower salary than in your initial Tier 2 Visa application
  • Have a new Certificate of Sponsorship (as outlined above)
  • Provide biometric evidence – including your fingerprints and a photograph of yourself
  • Provide proof of maintenance funds
  • Provide proof of your English Language ability (you may be required to complete a higher level of English qualification than the test for your first application)
  • Be in the UK to extend your visa

If you extend your stay to more than 3 years, you must pay £1,408 for yourself and an additional £1,408 for each individual dependent. These fees may be lower if your role is on the Shortage Occupation List. An additional charge of £19.20 will be incurred to have your biometric information taken.

It is important to note that if you no longer work for the same employer as when you applied for your initial Tier 2 Visa, you will not be eligible for an extension. Having a new employer requires a new Tier 2 Visa application.

Tier 1 Visa Extensions

Innovator Visa Extension (formerly known as ‘Entrepreneur Visa’)

With an Innovator Visa, you can stay in the UK for three years. When your visa is due to expire, you can apply to extend it for another three years, and there is no limit on the number of times you can extend this visa. To be eligible for an Innovator Visa extension, you must re-apply with a new endorsement before your current visa expires. As long as you still meet the eligibility requirements and are either currently running a business in the UK or want to set up a new one, you are eligible to apply for an extension of your visa.

The eligibility requirements for an Innovator Visa extension are as follows:

  • You must meet the ‘new business’ endorsement criteria if you are applying for a visa extension that is based on a different business venture than in your initial Tier 1 Innovator Visa application. As with your initial application for the Tier 1 Innovator Visa, this new business must show innovation, viability and scalability. You must also show evidence of the required investment funds of at least £50,000.
  • If you are applying for a visa extension based on the same business venture that was initially assessed in your Tier 1 Innovator Visa application, the criteria is as follows:
  • You have shown significant achievements in line with the business plan assessed in your previous endorsement
  • Your business is registered with Companies House and you are listed as a director/member of that business
  • The business is active and trading
  • The business appears to be sustainable for at least the following 12 months
  • You have shown an active role in the management and development of the business

If you meet all of the relevant eligibility criteria outlined above, you must have your business/business idea assessed by an approved body when extending your visa. One of our lawyers can help and advise you with your application for an extension as this can be a difficult and complex process.

Please note that if you are in the UK on a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa, you can no longer extend it. Instead, you must switch to a Start-Up Visa instead.

However, if you are in the UK with a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa, you will be able to apply for an extension until 5th April 2023. From this route, you will also be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) until 5th April 2025.

Start-Up Visa Extension (formerly known as ‘Graduate Entrepreneur Visa’)

On a Start-Up visa, you are permitted to stay in the UK for a total of two years. Unfortunately, this visa cannot be extended. However, you can transfer from this visa to the Innovator Visa.

Investor Visa

With an Investor Visa, you are able to stay in the UK for 3 years and 4 months. You can apply to extend this visa for up to an additional 2 years. Your extension application must be made before your current Investor Visa expires. The criteria for Investor Visa extensions is as follows:

If you were granted your Tier 1 Investor Visa before 6th November 2014 and wish to extend it:

  • You must have at least £1 million of accessible funds in your name
  • You must have invested at least £750,000 in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in UK companies
  • You must have invested this sum into the UK within the first three months of being granted your initial Tier 1 Investor Visa

If you were granted your Tier 1 Investor Visa on or after 6th November 2014 and wish to extend it:

  • You must have at least £2 million of accessible funds in your name
  • You have invested these funds into UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in UK companies
  • You must have invested this sum into the UK within the first three months of being granted your initial Tier 1 Investor Visa

To extend this visa, you must pay £1,623 per person. An additional charge of £19.20 will be incurred to have your biometric information (photograph & fingerprints) taken. You must apply online to extend this visa and must include any dependants who are on your current visa.

IAS can help with all of your visa extension applications to the Home Office. We can check your documents to ensure that they are adequate, prepare a Letter of Representation, liaise with the Home Office on your behalf and complete your application form to the highest standard. We also offer you a free 10-minute consultation with one of our expert lawyers to establish your needs. 

If you want to speak directly with us, we have offices located across the UK, including in LondonManchester, or Birmingham. You can also use the office finder to find your nearest branch.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us