Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

How Long Can You Stay in Ireland without a Visa?

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national, you can enter and remain in Ireland for 90 days without needing a visa. If you are a foreign national from a visa-required country, you must apply for a visa before leaving your country.

For assistance in choosing the right visa option, call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help and assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

Read our 899 reviews

How Long Can I Stay in Ireland Without a Visa?

As a national from a visa-free country, you are eligible for both short and long periods of stay. The short period of stay is for 90 days, while the long period is when your stay is more than 90 days. If your purpose of travel to Ireland will require you to be in Ireland for more than 90 days, you may be permitted to stay for up to two years.

Upon renewal of permission, you may stay for an extra three years. If you meet the conditions of your permission, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency and citizenship after five years.

Note that you must fulfil all required requirements necessary for entry, such as:

  • Being of good character.
  • Being admissible to the country ( no criminal records).
  • Having medical insurance.
  • Having a valid passport.
  • Having all required supporting documents that are specific to your travel purpose.

What I can do during my stay in Ireland?

The activities you can engage in during your stay depends on your stay duration.

For a short period (90 days)

If you want to spend a short time in Ireland, you can work, study, visit, and join a family member.

If your purpose of travel is to visit Ireland, you can:

  • Get medical treatment.
  • Get married.
  • Visit family.
  • Visit friends.
  • Undergo a short-term study program.
  • Tour the country.

If your purpose is to work, you can work in Ireland under the following programs:

  • Atypical working scheme.
  • Company transfer.
  • Conference or event.
  • Exam.
  • Join ship.
  • Performance or tournament.
  • Short stay business.
  • Training.
  • Unpaid internship.

If your purpose is to study, you can enrol for:

  • Short-term English language and third-level courses (higher education courses).
  • Short-term training course (for professional development).

For a long stay period

If you want to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days, you can do the following:

  • Work.
  • Study.
  • Join a family member.
  • Live in ireland.

If you want to work in Ireland, you work under the following employment programmes:

  • Atypical work scheme (for nurses, locum hospital doctors, and seafarers).
  • Critical skill.
  • General work.
  • Intra company transfer.
  • Minister of religion.
  • Paid internship.
  • Scientific research.
  • Start-up entrepreneur programme (STEP).
  • Visiting academic.
  • Volunteering.
  • Working holiday.

If you want to study, you can enrol for:

  • Private primary school (fee-paying).
  • Private secondary school (fee-paying).
  • English language programmes.
  • Foundation programmes.
  • Higher education programmes.
  • Professional Awards.

If you wish to live in Ireland, you may be allowed through:

  • Immigrant Investor Programme.
  • Retirement permission.

Note each activity, 90 days or more, has its conditions and requirements you must meet.

Do you need help with your Irish Visa application? We can help.

Visa-Required Immigrants

Visa-required immigrants are foreign nationals from countries not in a visa agreement with Ireland and must apply for a visa before travelling to Ireland.

Visa-required immigrants are:

  • Non-EEA nationals.
  • Non-EU nationals.
  • Non-Swiss nationals.

All visa-required immigrants must have an Irish visa before departure from their home country. A visa is necessary for a short and long stay in Ireland.

Types of visas Available to Visa required immigrants

There are different types of visas available to you for a short and long stay in Ireland. Each depends on your purpose of travel and your ability to fulfil the requirements.

The types of short-stay visas (90 days) are:

  • Visit (Study) visa.
  • Join family visa.
  • Atypical working scheme.
  • Company transfer.
  • Conference or event.
  • Exam.
  • Join ship.
  • Performance or tournament.
  • Short stay business.
  • Training.
  • Unpaid internship.

The types of Ireland long-term visas (more than 90 days) are:

Irish Study visa

You must apply for a long-stay D study visa to study in Ireland. It grants entry into Ireland for a third-level or higher education program that is more than 90 days.

D Reside visa

To retire in Ireland, you must apply for a D reside visa. You must be financially independent to qualify for this visa.

Gold visa

If you want to live in Ireland, you can apply for a golden visa for the Immigrant Investor Programme (IIP). It requires a long-term investment in a project. The Department of Justice and other Government stakeholders must approve the project for investment.

Atypical work scheme visa

You can apply for an atypical work visa if you want to work as a:

  • Crew Member in the Irish Fishing Fleet (12 months)
  • Locum doctor in Hospital Sector (6 months)
  • Nurse in need of NMBI registration for international qualification (6 months)
  • Paid internships for graduation requirement ( (maximum 12 months).

Employment visa

An employment visa enables you to travel to Ireland to work. Before applying for this visa, you need an employment permit.

Employment scientific researcher visa

If you want to enter Ireland to conduct research under a hosting agreement, you must apply for an Employment (Scientific Researcher) visa. You must first have an employment contract to qualify for a Scientific Researcher visa.

Van der Elst visa

Suppose you are a non-EEA citizen residing and legally employed in an EU country (outside Ireland) and need to work in Ireland on behalf of your company. In that case, you can apply for a Van Der Elst visa. The work contract must be short, not more than one year.

Volunteer visa

If you want to take up volunteer work or activity in Ireland, you can apply for a volunteer visa. You can remain in Ireland for two years, after which you can extend your stay for a year. However, there must be evidence of a need for your services that requires your stay extension. You must also fulfil all relevant immigration requirements for your visa and permission.

For Family visas

An Irish family visa is a long-stay (join family) visa. Join family visas are for certain family members who are:

  • Visa required spouses – spouse, civil partner, or de facto partner.
  • Dependant family members.
  • Parents.
  • Children.

The family member in Ireland must be a resident, permit holder, or religion minister.

What Can I do with an Irish Visa?

What Can I do with an Irish Visa?

Each visa has its conditions that determine what you can do in Ireland during your stay. If you plan on staying for more than 90 days, you must register for immigration permission.

Your immigration permission will define the scope of your activities during your stay.

The permission are divided in numbers – Stamp 0, 1, 1a, 1g, 2, 2a, 3, 4, 4s, 4d.

If you apply for an employment visa, you must have an employment permit to work in Ireland.

We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

Types of Employment Permit

There are different types of employment permits:

Critical Skills Employment Permit

The Critical Skills Employment Permit enables highly skilled immigrants to work and become permanent residents in Ireland. If your profession requires a specialised skill, you may be eligible for a critical skill permit.

There are various types of professions on the Critical Skills Occupations List. They are grouped into different categories of occupations. Ensure to check the list before applying. Some occupations are ICT Professionals, Production Managers and Directors, Information Technology and Telecommunications Professionals, and Media Professionals.


Typically, spouses, partners, and dependants of employment permit holders must have a valid work permit to work in Ireland. The partner, spouse, or dependant permit enables the dependants, civil partners, and spouses of Critical Skills Employment Permit and Researchers on Hosting Agreements holders to work in Ireland.

Intra-Company Transfer

The Intra-Company Transfer permit enables employees of a multinational corporation in the EU region to work in its branch in Ireland. The multinational corporation must have a qualifying relationship with the company in Ireland. You must hold senior management, key personnel, or trainee role.

General Employment Permit

A General Employment Permit enables immigrants to access a wide range of professions. General Employment Permits cover all types of occupations requiring high and unskilled workers. Only jobs excluded under the Ineligible List of Occupations for Employment Permits are not in the general permit. Ensure to check the Ineligible List of Occupations before applying.

Contract for Services

Contract for Services enables foreign contractors with awarded contracts to provide services to an Irish employer. This type of service is a contract for services agreement. It allows the transfer of relevant non-EEA workers to work on the contract in Ireland.


A reactivation work permit allows you to legally get into the work industry again after being away for a period. You can apply for a reactivation permit if you entered Ireland with a valid work permit but have been out of work for some period which is not a result of your decision or action.

If you leave an organisation due to mistreatment or exploitation, you can lawfully use a reactivation permit to get back into the Irish work industry.


Internship permit facilitates employing non-EEA nationals students to work in Ireland. If you are a full-time student at a third-level institution outside Ireland and your discipline applies to any of the Critical Skills Occupations, you can apply for an internship permit to get work experience from an Irish organisation.

Sport and Culture

The sport and cultural work permit are open to non-EEA nationals with skills, experience, qualifications, and knowledge that can contribute significantly to the growth, operation and capacity of Irish sporting and cultural activities.

Exchange Agreement

The Exchange Agreement is intended to make immigration easier for non-EEA nationals to work in Ireland under specified agreements or other international agreements to which Ireland is a partaker.

General Visa Requirements

Each visa has its requirements, but the general requirements for all visas are:

  • Completed visa application form.
  • A valid passport.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds.
  • Police clearance certificate.
  • Medical or travel insurance.
  • Evidence of a strong connection to your country.
  • Evidence of Ireland visa fee payment.
  • Application letter stating the purpose of travel.
  • Proof of legal residence in Ireland.
  • Recent passport-sized photographs.
  • Information about your family members or friends in Ireland.
  • Employment contract (if applicable)
  • Letter of acceptance (if applicable).

How to Apply for Ireland Visa Applications

The procedure for applying for a visa is as follows:

  • Check your eligibility on the INIS website.
  • Gather all the documentation required for your visa.
  • Download and complete the application form.
  • Submit your application form with supporting documents through the appropriate channels.
  • Wait for approval.
  • Register your immigration permission.
  • Get your Irish residence permit card.

If you have any questions about Irish Visas, we can help you.

How Can IAS Help?

Before applying for a visa, it is essential to be up to date with its conditions and limitations. IAS is a body of professional immigration lawyers with in-depth legal knowledge of Irish visas.

You can also access our immigration service for employment, visit, long-term immigration and more.

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help and assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Services we Provide

Related Posts

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us