Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Moving to the UK: UK Visa for Finland

If you’re a Finnish national looking to move to the UK, there are a range of routes and opportunities for you to do so.

For more information about moving to the UK, including one-to-one assistance and help with your visa application, reach out to one of our immigration advisers on 0333 4149244, or contact us online today.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of Moving to the UK from Finland

    Cementing its reputation as being a melting pot of international cultures, the UK is one of the top 10 countries for Finns to emigrate to, with over 20,000 Fins residing in the country.

    This is in part due to Finland’s long-standing membership of the EU, where Finns enjoyed visa-free travel and residency in the UK.

    Although the UK has now left the EU, there are still opportunities for Finns to live in the UK, such as through the EU Settlement Scheme and various visas.

    These include work visas and Family visas, which allow family members of eligible UK sponsors to travel to the UK and join them.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    EU Settlement Scheme for Finns

    The UK’s main route for EU citizens to remain in the UK is the EU Settlement Scheme. This allows eligible EU citizens to permanently settle in the UK after Brexit.

    Although the main deadline to apply for the scheme was 31 June 2021, there are still ways that Finns can apply for the scheme. For example, you can apply if:

    • You have a Finnish (or other EU) family member who was living in the UK by 31 December 2020
    • You’re exempt from immigration control, or you stopped being exempt from immigration control after 30 June 2021
    • You’re already in the UK with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (such as if you’re here on a work or study visa) which expires after 30 June 2021
    • You’re a family member of a British citizen who you lived with in the EU
      • You must have lived with them in that country by 30 December 2020, and returned to the UK with them

    You may also still be eligible to apply if you have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying before the main deadline, such as if you were in an abusive relationship, or if you had a medical condition that prevented you from applying.

    Get in touch with our immigration experts for help with your move to the UK from Finland. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      UK Work Visas for Fins

      The UK offers a range of long-term work visas that will eventually allow you to apply for permanent settlement (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK. Some of these visas include the following:

      Each of these visas has its own eligibility requirements and targets different types of workers. For example, the Skilled Worker visa is the main “general” work visa, covering a wide variety of professions, while the Innovator visa is specifically for those who wish to come and start an innovative business in the UK.

      Other UK Visas for Those in Finland

      If a work visa doesn’t sound like a good fit for you, there are a number of other visas that will also allow you to settle in the UK permanently. These include:

      • Spouse visa – for Finns who have an eligible spouse from the UK
      • Civil partnership visa – for Finns with an eligible civil partner from the UK
      • Unmarried Partner visa – for Finns who have been living with an eligible partner from the UK for at least 2 years
      • Family visa – for Finns who have a close family member in the UK

      Note that many of these visas will require you to have a prior connection to either a UK citizen or someone with settled status in the UK. Because of this, you may find it easier to enter the UK through a work visa if you have the relevant skills to enable you to do so.

      How Can IAS Help?

      When moving to another country such as the UK, it’s essential that you have all of the tools and knowledge you need to make the transition a smooth one.

      For instance, you need to ensure that you’re kept well up to date on the requirements for visas and immigration for wherever you’ll be emigrating to.

      If you need any additional assistance with your move to the UK, IAS can help.

      We are expert and professional immigration advisers who can help advise and support your move to the UK. Whether you need additional help when you apply for a UK visa, concierge services to help with the logistics of moving, or anything else to do with emigration, we can help.

      For more information about the services we offer and what we can do for you, reach out to us on 0333 4149244, or contact us online today.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                In most cases, you will have to apply for a visa through the official website.

                There, you will fill in an application form, pay the application fees and upload your supporting documentation.

                You may also have to attend a visa application centre (VAC) to give your biometrics information. There is one UK VAC in Finland, located in Helsinki.

                There are a number of Finnish societies and organisations whose objectives are to connect and support the Finnish community in the UK. These include:

                • The Anglo-Finnish Society
                • Business Finland
                • The Finnish Institute in the UK and Ireland
                • Various Finnish-language schools

                The full list and more content is available under the relevant headings on the Embassy of Finland website.