Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Student Visitor Visa

The Short-Term Study Visa allows international students to take a short English Language course in the UK.

Speak to our immigration advisers today about how we can support you with your short-term student visa UK application. Call 0330 828 4140 or use the online contact form to request a callback.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS For Your Visitor Visa Application

    If you are planning to travel to the UK and require a visitor visa, then our immigration lawyers are on hand to provide advice and application assistance.

    Whether this is your first application or you applied on your own before but were refused the visa, we can help.

    No matter the reason why you plan to visit, the IAS range of expert services can help ensure your application is submitted quickly and to a high standard. Benefit from:

    Tailored advice to ensure you are applying for the correct visa.

    A personal immigration lawyer who can answer all queries.

    Access to UK-specific knowledge of the immigration routes.

    Confidence your application will be complete and comprehensive.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    What can you do on the Short-Term Study Visa?

    Short-Term Study Visa holders can take English language courses lasting six to eleven months.

    Since 1 December 2020, the Student Visitor Visa has no longer existed. Instead, non-visa nationals may be able to come to the UK to study on the Standard Visitor Visa for under six months. The Short-Term Study Visa only permits studying English language courses.

    The Short-Term Study Visa should not be confused with the Student Visa, which is a separate category. To satisfy the criteria as a genuine short-term student:

    • You can only study an approved English Language course that meets eligibility requirements
    • If you can prove that your course lasts less than eleven months, you are permitted to stay in the UK for the duration of your stay plus 30 days.

    Contact us on 0333 363 8577 or enquire online for more information or apply for a short-term student visa in the UK. 

    Short-Term Study Visa UK Requirements

    To apply for this short-term study visa, you must meet the following requirements:

    • You are over 16 years old
    • You have been accepted on an eligible English language course
    • The course is solely an English language course
    • The institute or course provider is accredited and registered
    • You have sufficient funds to support yourself, including living costs without working
    • You can pay for your journey home

    As well as this, if you are under 18 years old, you must ensure you have:

    • Proof that you have organised a place to stay and made travel arrangements
    • Confirmation that your parents’ or guardians’ consent to your studying in the UK

    To be granted this visa, you must show that you intend to study solely on the course for which you were granted permission.

    In addition, you must leave the UK within 30 days after the end of your course. If you fail to do so, you could be at risk of breaching immigration rules, which may jeopardise future applications.

    You are not permitted to work, undertake a work placement or any work experience.

    Similarly, you are prohibited from taking on any business or professional activities for the duration of your visa.

    tier 4 student visa

    What are the course requirements?

    To study in the UK on this visa, your course provider must be either an accredited UK institution or an eligible overseas course provider (if you are studying in the UK as part of an international course).

    You must ensure that your course provider is an eligible accredited institution.

    Your accredited institution must hold a valid student sponsor licence or accreditation and be listed by one of the following bodies:

    • Accreditation Service for International Colleges
    • Accreditation UK
    • British Accreditation Council
    • Education and Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland)
    • Estyn (Wales)
    • Education Scotland (Scotland)
    • Independent Schools Inspectorate
    • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
    • Office for Students
    • Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education

    If your course is with an overseas institution, it must meet the following points:

    • The course has national accreditation
    • Less than half of its programmes are based in the UK
    • It offers programmes equivalent to UK degrees

    To fulfil the criteria of the Home Office, if you apply for this visa, your chosen course must meet the following points:

    • The course does not result in a qualification
    • It is not essential for applicants to have academic qualifications
    • There is no required level of English language skills
    • There is no minimum number of hours of study for your course

    Please note that in addition to the Home Office rules, your course provider may require that you meet specific criteria before being accepted on a course.

    How to apply for a short-term study visa

    To apply for this visa, you must apply outside the UK (you cannot switch to this visa) and receive a positive decision before travelling to the UK.

    Follow these steps to apply for your visa:

    • Apply to an eligible course and receive an offer inviting you to study
    • Complete the online application form
    • Pay the application fee
    • Submit your supporting documents
    • Provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph)
    • Submit your application
    • Wait for a decision to be issued

    Visa Processing

    Applicants can apply online or in a visa application centre in their home country. Typically, applications take 6-8 weeks to process, so it is advised to submit your application with plenty of time before coming to the UK.

    What documents do you need?

    As with all visa applications, you will be required to submit supporting documents with your application to provide proof of your eligibility.

    Short-term Study Visa Checklist

    • Fully completed online application form for a short-term study visa
    • Receipt confirming payment of fees and healthcare surcharge
    • Valid passport or travel document
    • Letter confirming your acceptance to an accredited organisation, stating your details, as well as course details, including the length and nature of the course
    • Proof of sufficient funds with enough money to maintain yourself in the UK without recourse to public funds and without working
      • (e.g., bank statements, proof of financial sponsorship, etc.)
    • Proof of payment of your course fees
    • Your proposed itinerary and where you intend to stay
    • Medical certificates (e.g., clean TB certificate if from a country where it is required)
    • Certified translations of any document not in English or Welsh
    • Biometrics (facial photograph and fingerprints)

    Private medical insurance may be recommended if you have specialist medical needs. However, for visas over 6 months, you must pay the UK Immigration Health Surcharge.

    If you are under 18, you must submit evidence of travel, accommodation, and care arrangements upon entering the UK.

    You must also submit legal written confirmation from both parents or legal guardians (as well as their contact details) confirming their written consent to allow you to study in the UK.

    Why Choose IAS?

    We eliminate the guesswork and admin hours involved in visa applications, allowing you to concentrate on other aspects of your stay in the UK. 

    Our expert legal team has years of experience in UK immigration law, helping you navigate the complexities. From eligibility and arranging the correct visa application to securing and submitting the proper documentation, we can handle all aspects of your Short-Term Study Visa. Alternatively, we can discuss eligibility requirements and other UK visas that might be more suited to your study plans. 

    Get in touch with an expert visa solicitor today. Call 0333 363 8577 or contact us online to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

    Why was my Study Visa refused?

    Some of the most common reasons for a Student Visitor Visa refusal include:

    • The course is not on the approved list of providers
    • The course lasts for longer than eleven months
    • The course leads to a recognised qualification
    • Failure to pay the healthcare surcharge for the National Health Service (NHS)
    • The applicant does not have sufficient maintenance funds
    • The applicant intends to work in the UK
    • The applicant does not have the funds to pay for their return trip
    • The applicant intends to take up a course other than the one they are applying for
    • The applicant will require public funds to support themselves
    • The application form was incomplete or contained errors
    • The applicant intended to spend an extended period of time in the UK
    • The applicant intended to have frequent or successive visits to the UK
    • The applicant is otherwise ineligible for a visa based on grounds for refusal to the UK

    Since 6 October 2021, applying for an administrative review has become possible if your Student Visitor Visa application was refused.

    If you wish to apply for an administrative review, you must do so within 28 days of the date of receiving your refusal letter.

    If you subsequently receive a positive decision on this, you will not have a refusal recorded on your immigration record, but you must declare it on future applications.

    Alternatively, you can re-submit your application, which means there will be an unchallenged refusal on your application that you must declare.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    How much does the Short Term Study Visa UK cost?

    The Short Term Study Visa application costs are outlined in the table below:

    Application fee£200
    Healthcare surcharge£776
    Average cost of studying English including course fees and maintenance cost (weekly)£490
    Cost of administrative review application after refusal£80
    Approximate total£1,240

    Depending on where your course is, or the type of course, your exact costs may be higher.

    The application fee is more expensive than a Standard Visitor Visa lasting six months (which costs £100).

    What services does IAS offer?

    At IAS, we can simplify the process of applying for a Study Visa. If you are unsure about which visa type is best for you, or which Study Visa you qualify for, one of our expert immigration specialists can advise you on your best option. They can also guide you through the application process for a Student Visitor Visa and ensure that it goes as smoothly as possible.

    Our services include:

    • assessing and advising on your eligibility under the UK immigration rules for a UK Study Visa;
    • examining and collating your documents, ensuring they are sufficient for your application;
    • preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter contains the merits of your case, references your supporting documentation and cites relevant UK law;
    • completing each part of the application paperwork to the highest standard;
    • liaising with the Home Office during your application process until a decision is reached.

    Get in touch with IAS by using our online contact form or calling 0333 363 8577 to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    To apply for this visa category you must:

    • be at least 18 years old;
    • prove that you have sufficient funds to support and accommodate yourself in the UK during your course;
    • demonstrate that you can meet the cost of your return or onward journey from the UK; and
    • your course of study must be six months or under; or
    • if your course of study is an English course, the maximum course length can be extended to 11 months.

    You cannot switch to this visa in the UK, If you want to study in the UK for more than the validity on the Short-Term Study Visa, you must apply under the new Student Visa system from your home country.

    You can leave the UK and apply outside the country.

    No, you cannot bring dependents to the UK with this visa. Family members must apply independently. 

    However, if you study in the UK using the Student Visa rather than the Short-Term Study Visa, you may be eligible to bring dependants to the UK.


    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us