Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Cost of Post Study Visa UK

If you would like to remain in the UK after completing a degree, a UK Post Study Work Visa can allow you to stay in the country for at least two years.

For further information about the UK Post Study Work Visa, including eligibility checks, application guidance and support for arrival in the UK, speak to one of our immigration experts today. You can call the Nigerian team at Immigration Advice Service (IAS) on +23413438882 speak to our team in the UK via +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online. Clients can also visit our office in Lagos, Nigeria for personalised support with the immigration process.


Want to Remain in the UK After Your Degree?

Our dedicated team of experienced and empathetic immigration lawyers has a proven track record of supporting clients from Nigeria. From helping them build a strong application to providing them with key advice once they land in their destination country, we are experts when it comes to helping Nigerians find success in their move abroad.

Contact Us

Nigerian Emigration

For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

US –  +1 844 290 6312

Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

Post Study Work Visa UK Eligibility: Who Can Apply?

There are strict guidelines in place regarding who can apply for a Post Study Work Visa UK. This is in order to protect ‘genuine’ students who have successfully completed their course from being denied the opportunity to stay in the UK.

The Post Study Work Visa is officially known as the Graduate Route. In order to apply for the Graduate Route, applicants must have:

  • A valid UK student visa (Tier 4 or General)
  • Proof that they have studied a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate or any other eligible qualification for a minimum of the last 12 months using their current valid student visa
  • Recognition from your education provider that the Home Office has been notified of the successful completion of your course

In order to apply for a UK Post Study Work Visa, you must receive your official course results. If your current student visa expires before you receive your results, you will not be able to switch to the Graduate Route.

Post Study Work Visa UK Fees: How Much Does it Cost?

Cost Breakdown

When applying for a UK Post Study Work Visa, you will need to pay two fees: one to cover the cost of the application and another to cover the healthcare surcharge all visa holders must pay before coming to the UK.

The application fee stands at £715, and you will only need to pay it once to cover the cost of applying.

The healthcare surcharge is usually £1,035 for each year the applicant stays in the UK with their visa.

For example, if your Post Study Work Visa allows you two years in the UK after you have graduated, you can expect to pay the application fee and two years of healthcare surcharges, which comes to £1963.

If, during your extended stay in the UK, you get a job in the healthcare sector as a medical professional or other relevant role, you may be entitled to a refund on your healthcare surcharge payments. You will need to submit an application for this upon getting the job.

Income Requirement

Many UK immigration routes require applicants to submit financial evidence to prove that they can afford to support their stay in the UK.

However, because those applying for a Post Study Work Visa have already submitted their financial information to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) when they applied for their student visa, they do not need to provide further income evidence when applying for the Graduate Route.

Applicants should be aware that they will need to be able to continue to support themselves during their stay in the UK as those accepted onto the Graduate Route cannot apply for most UK Government benefits.

Cost of Gathering Documents

When you apply for the Graduate Route Visa, you will need to submit several documents that act as evidence of your eligibility. These include:

  • A valid passport or relevant travel document that displays your identity and nationality. If you need to renew these documents you will have to pay for their renewal prior to your application. Renewal fees vary depending on the document required.
  • A biometric residence permit (BRP) if you were given one when you applied for your student visa. This will not cost you anything to collect or submit.
  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number which was assigned to you when you applied for your student visa. This will also not cost you anything to collect or submit.

If you cannot immediately access your CAS number you will be able to retrieve it from your education provider.

You may also need to provide proof of your relationship if your partner or children are applying to move to the UK with you as a dependent, and, if applicable, a letter to prove that your scholarship/sponsorship has been approved and that your course fees or living costs have been covered during the last 12 months. These should not cost you anything to collect or submit.

Premium Processing

While the Student Visa is eligible for a premium processing package, meaning that the processing time can be shortened to within 5 working days upon application, the Post Study Work Visa is not eligible for this service.

This means that it is extremely important that applications are submitted in good time. Processing for the Graduate Route usually takes the standard 8 weeks, so it is crucial that travel plans are made in coordination with this processing period in order to avoid disappointment.

Applicants do not have to pay an additional fee for standard processing.

Other Visa Options For After Your Studies

If you want to remain in the UK after your Post Study Work Visa has expired, you will need to apply for an alternative visa in order to stay lawfully.

The kind of visa you may want to apply for depends on your particular personal circumstances, but there is a wide range of routes available via the UKVI. The Skilled Worker Visa is currently the most popular route for those looking to stay in the UK.

Skilled Worker Visa

Qualified individuals can apply for or switch to a Skilled Worker Visa in order to stay in the UK for work with an approved sponsor. UK employers are often looking for talent from overseas to work via this visa route. It can lead to long-term provision for applicants and their families alongside the possibility of settlement.

Applicants must attain 70 eligibility points by meeting specific salary, English language and skill requirements. A total of 50 points can be achieved through mandatory requirements such as:

  • A job offer (at a skill level of RQF3 or above) from a licenced UK sponsor
  • Speaking the English Language to a high standard

Applicants can gain additional points by having a salary of over £38,700 per annum, a PhD qualification, or by obtaining a job in a shortage occupation.

In order to apply, evidence must be provided that a total of at least £1270 is in the applicant’s bank account and has been available for 28 consecutive days. The application fee varies between £610 and £1408 depending on personal circumstances and whether the job the applicant is sponsored for is on the shortage occupation list. The health surcharge of £1,000 per year must also be paid as standard for this visa.

How can IAS Help?

We understand that applying for a UK visa can be a stressful experience, but it doesn’t have to be. Our team of experienced immigration lawyers is on hand to help you every step of the way.

We are sympathetic immigration experts with all the tools you need to find support from the beginning stages of your application, right through to advising you once you’ve arrived in the UK.

For more information about our services, speak to our Nigerian team on +23413438882 or visit our office in Lagos, Nigeria. You can also call our UK branch on +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us