Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Documents Required for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

If you are interested in studying in the UK, there are several documents required for a UK Student visa application.

Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are experts in immigration law who can help you with your student visa application. Call us at +44 (0) 331630092 and +23413438882, or contact us online, for advice today on what documents you need to gather for your student visa.

Read our 899 reviews

Want to Study in the UK?

If you are planning to study in the UK, we have supported many Nigerians with the visa process. Whether you need advice on what documents you need to provide or information on any step of the visa process, IAS will be able to provide support bespoke to your personal needs.

Nigerian Emigration

For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

US –  +1 844 290 6312

Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

Overview of UK Student Visa Requirements for Nigerian Citizens

The UK is a popular destination for international students to attend university; however, you must apply for a UK Student visa to legally travel and study in the UK. As part of your visa application, you will have to submit different documents, including proof that you have been accepted on a course and have enough money to support yourself for the duration of your stay in the UK.

Documents Required For a UK Student Visa Application

The documents that you will have to submit with your visa application will be dependent on your circumstances; some will be mandatory and others will be requested by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You must submit all of the requested documents with your visa to avoid your application being rejected.

When applying for your UK Student visa, you need to provide:

  • A current passport or other valid travel document
  • A CAS from your course provider, including evidence of qualifications or English language listed on your CAS
  • An Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, if you are a postgraduate student on a certain course
  • Proof you have enough money to pay for your course and to provide for yourself while in the UK
  • A letter from your financial sponsor if you have received sponsorship for course fees or living costs in the last 12 months confirming the sponsor’s consent for you to apply for a UK Student visa
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test results
  • If you’re under the age of 18 years old, you will need to submit proof of parental/guardian consent and proof of relationship to your parent/guardian
  • Passport-sized photograph

Passport Validity

The UK does not require that your passport be valid for a certain length of time once you have arrived in the UK; however, it must be valid when you apply for a visa and when you arrive in the UK.

UK guidelines say that your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK, but this is not a basis for refusal and Nigerian citizens can renew their passport from the UK.

Despite this, if your passport is due to expire, it is best to renew it before you apply for your UK Student visa.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Your CAS is an official offer of a place on your study course assigned by the licensed student sponsor; the UK government uses this unique document to check you are travelling to the UK to study.

This virtual document has a unique reference number containing your personal details, sponsor details, study course, finances, and academic and English language ability.

If any qualifications or English requirements are listed on your CAS, you will have to provide evidence for these. Your CAS will also confirm how the university has assessed your English language ability; if there are no English language qualifications listed on your CAS, you do not have to provide any.

Acceptable evidence of any requested qualifications includes:

  • Certificates
  • Transcripts of results
  • Printed copies of your certificates or transcripts from the exam boards online service

If required, your English language level will be evaluated by UKVI and usually requires you to pass an English language test, for example, the IELTS test. The English language requirements may vary depending on your university course and sponsor.

Get in touch with our experts for guidance on UK visa applications from Nigeria.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Nigerian postgraduate students and researchers will have to apply for an ATAS certificate to study certain sensitive subjects. These are any subjects that teach topics that could be used to develop military technology or develop and deliver weapons of mass destruction.

You may also need an ATAS certificate if your undergraduate degree has an integrated master’s year that covers these topics.

Once you’ve received an offer from your university, you must apply for an ATAS certificate 6 months before your course begins. It is valid for 6 months from the day you receive the certificate, which allows you time to apply for your visa before it expires.

Proof of Finances

If you don’t have a scholarship that covers your course and living costs while studying, you will need to provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself for the amount of time you are in the UK.

You must demonstrate that you have at least £1,334 per month available if you are studying in the Greater London area and £1,023 per month if you are studying outside of the Greater London area for the first 9 months of your stay (£12,006 and £9,207, respectively).

You will have to provide a bank statement or a letter from your bank to confirm you have the required amount of funds. The letter must confirm the funds have been in your bank account for 28 consecutive days and is not dated more than 31 days before your Study visa application.

If you are financially dependent on your parents and will be relying on their finances, you will need to include a letter of consent from them and your birth certificate to prove their relationship to you.

Letter of Sponsorship

If your studies are sponsored by the UK or Nigerian government, the British Council, an international organisation or company, or a university or UK independent school, you will need to submit a letter confirming your financial sponsorship of your course and living costs.

If your sponsor is the university you are attending, your sponsorship will be included on your CAS and you won’t need to submit a letter.

If you are already sponsored by a government or sponsorship agency, or have been in the last 12 months, you will need to submit a letter of consent from them saying you can apply for a UK Student visa.

Woman sitting at desk, reading a book

TB Test Results

If you have lived in Nigeria for 6 months or more, within the last 6 months, and are coming to the UK for 6 months or more, you must have a TB test.

If your test shows you don’t have TB, you’ll be given a certificate that is valid for 6 months from the date of your test, which you will have to submit with your visa application.

Students Under 18 Years Old

If you are under 18 years old, you will need to include written consent from both your parents or legal guardians. If only one of your parents is your sole guardian, then you’ll only need consent from them.

Their letter must consent to your visa application, living and care arrangements in the UK, and travel to the UK. You’ll also need to provide a copy of your birth certificate that shows your parents’ names as proof of your relationship.


If any of the documents you are submitting are not in English, they will need to be translated into English and you will have to submit both the original and translated copy.

Your translations must include a confirmation that it is an accurate translation, the date of the translation, and the full name, contact details, and signature of the translator or translation company. The Home Office must also be able to verify the translations.

For information on UK visa application processes, speak with us today.

How Can IAS Help?

Preparing to move to another country can be difficult, especially if you have been applying for courses at universities abroad, and applying for a UK Student visa may feel like an added complication. Speaking to an immigration expert will ensure you have correctly completed your visa application and collated all the necessary documents to support a smooth decision from the UK Home Office.

IAS are full-service immigration lawyers that can support you with your visa application and any other queries you have about immigration. Contact us today at +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882 or contact us online.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Services we Provide

Frequently Asked Questions

It costs £363 to apply for a Student visa from outside the UK and £490 to renew or change your visa once you are in the UK if you want to stay for longer.

As part of your UK Student visa application, you will have to attend a meeting with UKVI, where they will take your fingerprints and take a photo. After this appointment, you can expect to receive a decision on your visa within three weeks.

Related Posts

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us