Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

How Can I Bring Someone from Nigeria to USA?

If you have family members in Nigeria, you can sponsor them to the United States. The type of visa they’ll need will depend on their relationship with you and the duration of their stay.

For more information on bringing someone from Nigeria to the USA, including a breakdown of the available visas and immediate help on applying, speak to one of our legal advisors at IAS.

Call us at +1 844 290 6312 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or our Nigeria office at +23413438882.

Read our 899 reviews

Want to Bring Your Loved Ones to the USA?

Our expert legal advisors at IAS can help you. We are experts in U.S. immigration law and have helped many Nigerians with their visa applications. If you need any support with your application, our lawyers will help and make the process stress-free for you.

Nigerian Emigration

For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882.

Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please contact

US – +1 844 290 6312

Ireland – (+353) 061 518 025

UK – (+44) 333 4149244

How to Bring Someone from Nigeria to the USA

If you are a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States and have loved ones residing in Nigeria, you can sponsor them to the U.S. for a short-term visit or long-term stay. 

Sponsoring a foreign national implies that you agree to take responsibility for them throughout their stay in the country. This typically includes supporting them financially and providing them with suitable accommodation. 

It’s important to note that you and your Nigerian family member or loved one must meet specific requirements for sponsorship. For instance, they must be related to you as a fiance, spouse, dependent child, sibling, or parent. 

Additionally, they must obtain a visa before entering the U.S. The specific visa will depend on their intended length of stay and relationship with you. You can either invite them to the U.S. on a visitor visa if they intend to stay for a limited period or on a family visa for long-term stays. 

Our immigration lawyers can help you determine your family member’s eligibility for a U.S. visa and handle the application process. Speak to one of our lawyers at +1 844 290 6312, +44 (0) 3316300929, or +23413438882.

Eligibility Requirements for Family Sponsorship

To be eligible to sponsor your family members into the U.S., you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (a green card holder). If you hold a nonimmigrant visa, you might be unable to bring them to the U.S.

As a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your fiance, spouse, children, parents, and siblings. However, if you are a lawful permanent resident or green card holder, you can only sponsor your fiance, spouse, and unmarried children.

Bringing a Spouse or Fiancé from Nigeria to the U.S.

If you intend to sponsor your fiance or spouse to the U.S., there are two categories under which you can do so: immigrant and nonimmigrant visas. 

Immigrant Visa for Spouses 

The family-based immigrant visas for spouses are green cards that lead to permanent residency in the U.S. 

If you are a U.S. citizen, your partner will be eligible for the ‘immediate relative’ category of the family-based immigrant visa. Visas under this category are for close relatives, such as spouses, parents, and unmarried children (under 21) of U.S. citizens only. 

Your spouse can apply for any of these visas, depending on their circumstance:

  1. IR1 Visa: If you and your spouse have been married for at least two years, they can apply for the IR1 Visa. 
  2. CR1 Visa: The CR1 Visa is a conditional visa that will apply to your spouse if you are recently married. You must remain married and live together in the U.S. for at least two years before applying for the IR1 Visa.

On the other hand, if you are a U.S. permanent resident or a green card holder, your spouse will be eligible for the F2A Visa, which is under the ‘family preference’ category of the family-based immigrant visa.

Visas under the family preference category are subject to an annual cap, and once the limit is reached, applicants will need to wait in line for a visa to be available before their application can be processed. 

Non-immigrant Visa for Spouses and Fiances

Fiances and spouses who intend to live in the U.S. temporarily can apply for a nonimmigrant visa. However, if your partner decides to become a permanent resident, they can apply for a green card while in the U.S.

Your partner can apply for any of these nonimmigrant visa, depending on their circumstance:

  1. K1 Visa: The K1 Visa is specifically for the fiance of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you are engaged and planning to get married in the U.S., your Nigerian fiance can apply for a K1 Visa. However, you must get married within 90 days, and your fiance must switch to a spouse visa. Otherwise, they may need to leave the country.
  2. K3 Visa: This visa is for the spouses of U.S. citizens only. It is a faster route to enter the U.S. than other family visa routes. Your spouse can quickly enter the U.S. and live for up to 2 years with the K3 Visa. They can apply for permanent residency afterwards.

Family Sponsorship for US Visas

Besides your partner, you can also sponsor other family members from Nigeria to the U.S. Here are the different visas your family can apply for in their various categories:

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas

  1. IR2, IR3, IR4 visas: If you have a biological child residing in Nigeria, they can join you in the U.S. with the immigrant IR2 Visa. If your child is adopted, they should get the IR3 Visa instead. 

Furthermore, if the child’s adoption process is incomplete, you can bring them to the U.S. with the IR4 Visa and complete the adoption process after arriving in the country. 

  1. IR5 Visa: If you are a U.S. citizen and not less than 21, you can bring your parents to the U.S. with the IR5 Visa.

Family Preference Immigrant Visas

  1. F1 Visa: The F1 Visa is the first preference visa under the ‘family preference’ category. It is for unmarried sons and daughters under 21 of U.S. citizens. 
  2. F2B Visa: If you are a lawful permanent resident, your unmarried children under 21 can apply for the F2B Visa.
  3. F3 Visa: The F3 Visa will allow you to sponsor your married children of any age into the country. However, you must be a U.S. citizen.
  4. F4 Visa: If you are a U.S. citizen older than 21, you can sponsor your siblings with the F4 Visa.

Nonimmigrant Visas

  1. K2 Visa: If your fiance is entering the U.S. on the K1 Visa, they can bring their children along with the K2 Visa. In other words, the K2 Visa is for dependent children of K1 Visa holders.
  2. K4 Visa: The K4 Visa is for dependent children of K3 Visa holders.

Contact us and begin your Nigeria to USA journey today.

Documents Required for the Application Process

To sponsor your relatives to the U.S., you and the applicant must provide the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Relevant civil documents, including:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Proof of termination of any previous marriages or civil partnerships with divorce or death certificates
    • Birth certificate
    • Proof of a clean criminal record from any country the applicant has lived in for 6 months or more since they turned 16.
  • Medical examination record
  • Evidence of financial support by filing Form I-134
  • Completed application forms, including Forms I-130, I-129F, and DS-160.

Invitation Letter for a Visitor Visa

If you’re inviting your loved one in Nigeria to the U.S. on for a short-term visit not lasting more than 3 months, you can go through the B1/B2 Visitor Visa route instead of a family visa. 

When applying for a Visitor Visa, your invitee will have the option to include an invitation letter from you to their application. 

Through the invitation letter, you will state that you can accommodate and financially support your guest throughout their stay. You’ll also confirm that your guest will return to Nigeria at the end of their visit. 

While an invitation letter is not mandatory, it can help the U.S. embassy understand your relationship with the applicant and the purpose of their visit. This can, in turn, strengthen the visa application.

Additionally, the applicant must fulfil other visa requirements to have a successful application, as an invitation letter is not a guarantee of visa issuance.

US Visa Application in Nigeria

The visa application process to bring someone to the U.S. has two parts. The first part involves the U.S.-based sponsor filing the petitions.

As a U.S.-based sponsor, you must first file Form I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. If your relative intends to apply for the K1 Visa, you should file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) instead. 

Once the USCIS receives your petition, they will send you a Notice of Action (Form I-797) as a receipt notice. Your petition will be processed, and if approved, the USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.

You will also be required to file an Affidavit of Support with Form I-134 or Form I-184, depending on the type of visa your relative is applying for. Once your application is approved, the NVC will forward it to the U.S. embassy in Nigeria, and your relative will receive a notification to begin their visa application. 

The second part involves the applicant making the visa application in Nigeria. Each family member immigrating to the U.S. must complete Form DS-260, the Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. Afterwards, they must schedule and attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy.

If you have any questions about a Nigeria to USA, our team is happy to assist.

The US Visa Interview Process

The U.S. visa interview is an important step in the visa application process. It helps the immigration authorities determine an applicant’s intent and eligibility for the visa.

The interview is usually brief, lasting for a few minutes. During this time, a consular officer will ask questions about the applicant’s background, travel plans, and immigration history. 

The officer will also evaluate the information in the application form and supporting documents to decide on the case.

What to Expect at the US Embassy in Nigeria

If you’re applying for a visa to join a family member in the United States, you must attend an interview at the U.S. embassy in Abuja or Lagos, Nigeria.

On the day of the scheduled interview, you should go along with a printed copy of the confirmation page of your Form DS-260, your invitation letter for the interview, and other supporting documents you used during the online application. 

You should arrive on time to avoid your appointment being rescheduled or cancelled. Also, expect to pass through some security checks. 

The consular officers will collect your digital fingerprints and ask about your application. It’s essential to answer all questions truthfully, as false providing information can hurt your application.

Other Types of Visas Available for Nigerians

The U.S. has other visa options available to Nigerians. Some of these visas do not require sponsorship. One of the most common non-sponsorship visas is the student visa. 

Under the study route, Nigerians can apply for the F1 visa, the M1 Visa, or the J1 Exchange Visitor Visa. 

Nigerians can apply for certain U.S. work visas without an employer sponsorship. These include, EB-1, O-1, and EB-5 visas. 

To learn more about how to migrate to the U.S. from Nigeria without sponsorship, call our Nigerian office at +23413438882.

How IAS Can Help

Many Nigerians have family members in the USA who can sponsor their visa applications. The challenge is submitting a solid application to convince the USCIS of their eligibility and intent. 

If you intend to sponsor Nigerian family members to the U.S., our lawyers at Immigration Advice Service can help you. We understand the intricacies of the U.S. immigration system and will help you prepare a robust application that the authorities can not reject.

Regardless of the complexities of your case, we will work hard to ensure you have a successful outcome. 

Call us at +1 844 290 6312 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or our Nigeria office at +23413438882, and we will get started on your case right away.

Get in touch with our team today to learn more about our professional services.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Services we Provide

Frequently Asked Questions

It can take up to 10 months after submitting an immigrant or nonimmigrant petition to get a visa approval at the U.S. consulate.

Here’s a breakdown of the cost of bringing someone to the U.S.:

Filing Form I-130 or Form I-129F: $535

Immigrant visa application processing: $325

Nonimmigrant visa application processing: $185

Affidavit of support fee: $120

There are several reasons why the U.S. consulate may deny a visa application. Some of these include:

  1. Incorrect or incomplete information in the application forms
  2. Insufficient funds
  3. Previous immigration offences
  4. Incomplete supporting documents
  5. Failure to establish eligibility for the visa
  6. Health concerns
  7. Criminal history

Related Posts

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us