Tier 2 Visas

Maximise your chances of a successful Tier 2 application with our Application Package

Call 0333 363 8577 for a free consultation

The Tier 2 Visa UK is the most common route for migrants to enter the country to work. This visa requires you to have been offered a job in the UK from a licenced sponsor and issued a Certificate of Sponsorship. You will also need to meet the requirements to obtain the necessary points under the Points Based System to apply for a UK Skilled Worker Visa.

Those looking to enter the country on a Tier 2 (General) Visa will need to meet the minimum salary threshold of your particular job. This is most commonly £30,000 but can vary depending on the job and the demand for Tier 2 Work Visas.

 How can IAS help?

The lawyers at IAS are experienced in making Tier 2 Visa applications and have an excellent track record of positive results. After confirming that you are eligible for the relevant work visa to your job, your lawyer will advise you on how to gather the correct documents for your application.

IAS will manage your application and submit it for you, ensuring it is as thorough as possible to give you the best chance of success. To find out more about your eligibility, or to start the Tier 2 Visa application process, call us today on 0333 363 8577. You can also get in touch using our online contact form.


What is a Tier 2 Visa UK?

The Tier 2 Visa UK is part of the Points Based System (PBS) for visas which allows skilled workers to enter the country for up to five years.

This visa requires you to already have a job offer in the UK from a licenced sponsor who can provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship. Your visa will only be valid if you continue to be employed by the company or business stated on your application.

What are the UK Tier 2 Visa requirements?

To apply for this type of visa, you will need a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship. You will also need proof of your English language ability and maintenance funds. The amount of maintenance you will need to show changes if you are applying with dependents.

Your employer will also need to have completed a Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) before offering you the position. This means the job must have been advertised for at least 28 days before being made available to non-EEA migrants.

What is the Tier 2 Visa minimum salary?

The Tier 2 (General) Visa has a minimum salary requirement which is generally held at £30,000. This threshold, however, is dependent on the job you are applying for and your level of experience. For example, the threshold for graduates is more commonly £20,800 per year.

To find out more about the minimum salary for your profession, call our expert advisers on 0333 363 8577.

What are the Tier 2 Visa fees?

For a standard three-year Tier 2 Work Visa, the government currently charges £610 for most out of country applications and £704 for in-country switching or extending.

For jobs on the Shortage Occupation List, the fees are slightly lower, at £464 for out- and in-country applications.

What is a Tier 2 Dependent Visa?

If you are entering the country to work, you will be entitled to bring your spouse and/or children with you on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa. The fees and maintenance requirements for your application will change with each dependent.

Spouses in the country on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa have the same rights to work as the Tier 2 Visa UK holder. However, they will not need to show that they have a job offer before making their application.

How long does a Tier 2 (General) Visa last?

Typically, work visas are granted for three years. However, you can apply for a visa for up to five years if your company has agreed to sponsor you for that long. You can apply to renew your visa once it is set to expire but only as long as your stay totals a maximum of six years.

You can renew your Tier 2 Work Visa if you are still at the same company as in your original application. You will be able to renew your visa if your job title/description has changed as long as the Home Office were informed of these changes when they were made.

Can I apply for ILR from a Tier 2 Visa UK?

Once you have been in the UK for five years, so long as you meet the other requirements and are still working for the same company as when you arrived, you will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 Work Visa?

One of the main requirements of the Tier 2 (General) Visa is that your employer is a licenced sponsor of Tier 2 workers. You will need to show this in your visa application and provide proof through your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

The CoS is not a physical document but a reference number that must be included in your application.

Should your company have its Sponsor Licence revoked while you are an employee there, you will need to find a new sponsor and reapply for your visa.

Can you switch employers on a Tier 2 Visa?

If you are already in the UK on a Tier 2 Work Visa and would like to change jobs, you will need to make a fresh Tier 2 Visa application. Your new employer will also have to be a registered sponsor who is able to provide you with a new Certificate of Sponsorship.

Because of the time limits surrounding the application, it is recommended that you find another job before leaving your old one. This will allow the most time for your application to be processed.

What are the different types of Tier 2 Visa UK?

The Tier 2 Work Visa covers a number of subcategories for different types of professionals.

These include:

If you would like more information on which category would be best for you, use our Visa Wizard or call us on 0333 363 8577.

What is the UK Shortage Occupation List?

There is a yearly limit to how many Tier 2 (General) Visas the government is able to grant. This is currently 20,700, separated into a monthly allowance. There are some occupations which are exempt from this cap and are recognised as in shortage by the government. They can be found on the Shortage Occupation List.

Applying for jobs on this list means applicants enjoy cheaper visa fees. They are also less likely to have their visa refused if they meet all the necessary requirements.

What services does IAS offer?

The importance of your career and being able to make the most of your work opportunities is something that we take seriously at IAS. Our UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies in the capital. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience which could help you get your Work Permit for London.

We can help you understand whether you are eligible for a Tier 2 (General) Visa, which visa type is best for you, and guide you through each stage of your visa application process.

Our services include:

  • confirming that your documents are adequate before your application;
  • preparing a detailed Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • managing contact with the Home Office during your application process;
  • communicating with your Tier 2 UK Sponsor;
  • ensuring they have undertaken the Resident Labour Market Test;
  • securing your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing your application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to receive expert advice on your Tier 2 Work Visa options from one of our immigration lawyers.

Our Tier 2 Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Guy: Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 1

Guy was an international student about to finish his university course and had his sights set on starting a company in the UK. His spare time was very limited and… Read More

Derek: Fiance Visa Application Assistance

Derek is a US national who is in a long-distance relationship with his fiance, who is based in the UK. He contacted IAS for advice on how to join… Read More

Terence: Tier 1 Visa

Terence, an Australian investor, found several investment opportunities in the UK. He was unclear about his immigration options and contacted IAS. Working closely with our specialist lawyer, he was able… Read More

Daniel: Fiance Visa

Daniel was in a long-distance relationship with his partner, a Brazilian National. He proposed to her and wanted to bring her over to the UK but was unsure of his… Read More

Remy: Working in the UK

Remy was a French national living in the UK who had found employment in the UK.
However, his employer was unsure whether or not Remy was eligible to work in the… Read More

Parents Visiting in the UK

Harriet is dual Canadian-British Citizen who was currently living in the UK. She needed guidance on whether her Canadian Citizen parents would need a visa to enter the UK… Read More

Latest reviews

Really helpful to get advice on a relatively complex issue, and to have support whilst going through the visa application… Read More
We are extremely happy with the service offered by Alex. He was very professional and he made sure he was… Read More
My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More

Latest news

Majority of Britons Want At Least ‘Full Access’ to Single Market Read More

UK Immigration: What is the Government Proposing? Read More

Cabinet Agrees on a No Preference System for EU Workers Read More