Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

UK Transit Visa Requirements for Nigerians

If you are passing through a UK airport while travelling to another country, you may require a UK transit visa. Whether you need a transit visa depends on where you are travelling to and from, and there are different types of visas to apply for depending on whether you are passing through border control.

For more information about UK transit visas, including the latest application support, eligibility checks and advice on your arrival in the UK, speak to one of our immigration experts today. You can contact the Nigerian team at +23413438882, speak to our UK branch via +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online. Our office in Lagos, Nigeria is also open for clients looking for personalised legal advice across all their travel plans.


Do you need to Transit Through the UK?

Our team is made up of experienced immigration lawyers with a proven track record of supporting Nigerian clients. We are happy to provide aid to all Nigerian clients, no matter how complex their circumstances may seem. Get in touch today to see what we can do for you.

Contact Us

Nigerian Emigration

For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

US –  +1 844 290 6312

Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

UK –  (+44) 333 4149244


A transit visa allows holders to pass through the UK as part of their journey to another country. There are two different types to choose from depending on the length of time the holder will be spending in the UK before travelling to their destination country, and whether or not they will be going through UK border control.

Applicants require proof that they are passing through the UK in transit from one country to another, proof of their destination, and evidence that they are only visiting the UK as a traveller in transit and will not be staying longer than is permitted. It is imperative that travellers ensure that they meet the requirements for the appropriate visa option before applying or booking any tickets as a rejection or delay may cause disruption to their travel plans.

Requirements for the UK Direct Airside Transit Visa

You will need to apply for a UK Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) if you are travelling through the UK without passing through border controls before catching your flight out of the country. All applicants must prove that they are allowed entry into their destination country. In order to prove this, applicants will be asked to provide the following documents upon application:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid visa
  • A valid green card
  • A residence permit

In order to provide evidence of your travel route and length of stay, you must also have access to at least one of the following:

  • A flight booking email
  • A ticket/boarding pass
  • Proof of confirmation from a travel agent

As part of your application, you will need to make an appointment at your nearest Visa Application Centre, where you will be asked to provide evidence of your transit arrangements and your biometric information (photograph ID and fingerprints) will be taken for records. Nigerian applicants may need to travel to Lagos or Abuja to find their nearest Visa Application Centre.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) or your chosen Visa Application Centre will contact you within 3 weeks with a decision regarding your visa application.

Remember that you will need to bring your documents with you when you travel through the UK in case your visa requires further verification upon arrival.

Requirements for the UK Visitor in Transit Visa

You will need to apply for this type of transit visa if your stop in the UK lasts longer than 24 hours and you pass through UK border control before leaving the country. The UK Visitor in Transit visa costs £64 and lasts for 48 hours.

As with the DATV, the application process is mostly online, and you must again provide evidence that you have been granted entry into your destination country. You can do this by providing:

  • A valid visa
  • A valid green card
  • A valid passport
  • A residence permit

You will also need to provide proof of your travel route and the length of your stay. You can do this by submitting your:

  • Flight booking email
  • Ticket or boarding pass
  • Confirmation email from a travel agent

Because your stay in the UK is longer than it would be if you were transiting airside, it is more likely that you will also be asked to provide evidence of where you will be staying before catching your flight out of the country. You can do this by submitting your accommodation booking details and confirmation email.

You will also be asked to make an appointment with your nearest Visa Application Centre (most likely in Lagos or Abuja) where you will be interviewed and asked to provide evidence of your transit plans. Your biometric information (fingerprints and photo ID) will be taken for records. You should receive a final decision concerning your visa application within 3 weeks.

If you can prove that you need to pass through the UK in transit on a regular basis, perhaps for work or family, you might find that a long-term Standard Visitor visa is a more convenient option.

This visa allows holders to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months per visit, and it can last for 2, 5 or 10 years. For more information about the Standard Visitor visa, check out our helpful guide on the IAS website.

Requirements for Exemption from the Transit Visa for the UK

Travellers from Nigeria will, in most cases, need to apply for a UK transit visa if they are passing through the UK. Nigerian visitors must factor the application, fees and processing time into their travel plans alongside the collection of any other visas and travel documents they may need for their journey.

You will be exempt from holding a UK transit visa during your onward journey if you:

  • Have a valid UK Standard Visitor Visa
  • Have valid status under the EU settlement scheme
  • Have a valid Marriage Visitor Visa
  • Have a Home Office travel document

If your visit to the UK in transit passes through UK border control, you will need a Visitor in Transit visa. You may be able to transit without a visa if:

  • You arrive and leave by air
  • You have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after arrival
  • Hold the correct documents for your destination country

However, in order for these requirements to be valid, you must also have one of the following:

  • A valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (not a wet-ink stamp version)
  • An expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • A valid US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
  • An Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland
  • A valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • A permanent residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • A common format residence permit issued by a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • A permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002
  • A uniform format category D visa for entry to the EEA or Switzerland
  • Proof of travel to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid visa for that country, or proof of valid entry with a visa in the last 6 months

If you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave on another flight without passing through UK border control, you will need to apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa unless you hold any of the above exemption notices.

Being experts in the field, enlisting us would ensure you have the appropriate visas and documentation to and through the UK.

Transit Through the UK: Dos and Don’ts

Visitors who are in transit in the UK are allowed to bring their “personal allowance” goods into the airport with them from their flight, but any goods that might violate regulations, such as commercial goods for sale and prohibited items, must be declared at UK border controls. You must also declare cash of £10,000 or more being carried into the UK, even if this amount is split up amongst your family.

Please refer to the UK government website for further information about what you can and can’t bring into the country with you.

Please do not try to bypass declaration rules as you may be subject to seizure, fines, or further legal action.

How Can IAS Help?

Managing multiple visas on a long journey can be quite a stressful experience, which is why it is important to reach out and ask for support from an expert.

Our team of immigration lawyers are on hand to provide confidential, sympathetic and time-accurate advice to any Nigerian clients who are hoping for stress-free travel through the UK. Speak to our Nigerian branch today on +23413438882 or visit our Lagos office. You can also contact our UK team on +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents will appear here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, you will need to apply for a DATV if you are not passing through border controls before getting your next flight, and a Visitor in Transit visa if your connecting flight requires you to pass through immigration.

No, you must have completed the application, attended your interview and received confirmation of your visitor status before you can travel to the UK.

Related Posts

Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
17 May 2024

Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

Read Article
Silver, antique Canadian coin
17 May 2024

Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

Read Article
Two friends standing together on street in America
17 May 2024

Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read Article
Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
17 May 2024

Entry to the UK from Nigeria

To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

Read Article
Nigerian man wearing purple coloured shirt
17 May 2024

How Much Is Priority UK Visa in Nigeria?

If you are applying for a UK visa to either stay short-term or settle there, you can apply to fast-track your visa application from Nigeria if you need to obtain a visa at short notice.
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) are available to advise you on the different fees and processing times depending on your visa and what level of priority you require. Call us today on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

Read Article
Student stepping outside, through glass door
17 May 2024

Study Gap for UK Student Visa from Nigeria

You may want to take a break from your studies before applying to study in the UK; but do study gaps impact your UK Study visa and do UK universities offer courses for international students?
Immigration Advice Service (IAS) can help you apply for a Study visa in the UK and provide advice on your study gap. Call us on +44 (0) 3316300929 and +23413438882, or message us online.

Read Article

Get in touch with our team

Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

Contact Us