Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Can Spouse Work On Dependent Visa In The UK

A dependent visa offers spouses and partners of those qualified to obtain a UK visa to join their family in the UK and can be an invaluable opportunity to live and work in the UK, keeping families together and allowing for a better quality of life.

Here at IAS, we have expertise in helping those looking to acquire a Dependent Visa in the UK. We can help you with the application process, and advise you on any questions or queries you may have about working in the UK on a Dependant Visa – just get in touch with the UK team today at +44 (0) 3316300929, through our online chat feature, or the Nigerian team at +23413438882 to arrange your consultation.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Need Guidance on your Spouse Visa?

    We have successfully helped numerous Nigerians get reunited with their spouses in the UK. If you need assistance with your Spouse Visa application, we can guide you through the eligibility requirements and support you along the way.

    Contact Us

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Understanding Dependant Visas In The UK

    A dependent visa allows a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of a UK visa holder (known as a sponsor) to move to the UK and join their family. The type of visa held by the sponsor can vary, but some of the most common include a Skilled Worker, International Sportsperson, or Senior or Specialist Worker visa.

    Can A Spouse Work On A Dependent Visa?

    A spouse or partner can work on a dependent visa in the UK, and there are no limits on the type of work they can do, although they must not be employed as a professional sportsperson or doctor in training. They also have the right to study at all levels and can access healthcare in the same way as other UK residents.

    Additionally, any children who are dependents on a dependent visa will be able to attend school and college in the UK, provided that they meet the relevant age requirements.

    Approved visa and map of destinations

    Who Is Eligible For A Dependent Visa In The UK?

    To qualify for a dependant visa, there are several criteria that must be met, and these include:

    • You must be a “dependent” – that is, a husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner to a qualifying migrant. Children under the age of 18 at the time of the application will also qualify as dependent if both parents are applying for entry clearance, both parents are also in the UK, or one parent is in the UK, and the other is applying for entry clearance to join the other parent with the child.
    • Your spouse or partner must be in the UK on a qualifying visa, or in the process of applying for a visa at the same time that you are applying for a dependent visa.
    • If you are unmarried or in a same-sex relationship. you must be able to prove that you have been in a “subsisting genuine relationship”, comparable to marriage, for a minimum of two years before the application. This may include evidence of living together, evidence of shared finances, and evidence of a connection with one another’s families and countries, as well as proof that you have stayed in touch when parted.
    • Your sponsor must meet a specific financial threshold – this is £285 for a couple, £315 for one child, and £200 for each additional child. It is important to note, however, that the exact financial requirements can vary depending on the exact visa that your partner holds.

    What Are The Benefits Of A Dependent Visa?

    There are a number of benefits to obtaining a dependent visa, and these include:

    You Can Work And Study

    One of the main benefits of a dependent visa is that the holder can come to the UK to work and study, although they must not be employed as a professional sportsperson or doctor in training. This means that you and your partner can both access employment opportunities in the UK if they are available.

    You Can Access Healthcare

    Your dependent visa also entitles you to access healthcare in the same way as other UK residents, and this includes registering with a GP and receiving any necessary medical treatment. Applicants will need to ensure that they pay the immigration healthcare surcharge when applying for their visa to make them eligible to access healthcare – the costs for this are currently:

    • £470 a year for a student or Youth Mobility Scheme visa
    • £470 a year for visa and immigration applicants under the age of 18
    • £624 a year for all other visa and immigration applications

    If you are applying from outside the UK for a visa for 6 months or less, you will not need to pay the surcharge. If you are applying from inside the UK, you will need to pay half the usual yearly cost for your specific visa.

    Your Children Can Go To School

    Another major benefit of a dependent visa is that any children who are dependents can attend school and college in the UK, provided they meet the relevant age requirements. This means that your children will have access to an education and be able to focus on and excel in their studies, without the need to worry about their visa status.

    You Can Apply For Indefinite Leave To Remain

    Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of a dependent visa is that you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after between 2 and 5 years in the UK, depending on the type of visa that your spouse is on. Indefinite leave to remain will enable you and your family to remain in the UK on a permanent basis and access all the benefits that this brings.

    To obtain a dependant visa, speak to us about eligibility and filing an application. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      How To Remain Compliant With A UK Dependant Visa

      It is important to ensure that you remain compliant with the requirements of a dependent visa, and this means that your sponsor must continue to meet the requirements for their specific visa type.

      For a Skilled Worker visa, this may include keeping your job and earning the minimum requirements – this can differ from job to job. Other conditions may include spending a certain number of days in the UK, living in a certain location, or similar criteria – it is important to check the details of your sponsor’s visa.

      If you have concerns over the validity of your UK dependent visa, it is a good idea to seek advice from legal professionals – why not give our UK IAS office a call at +44 (0) 3316300929 if you are already in the UK? Alternatively, get in touch with our Lagos office on +23413438882 for the advice you need.

      How To Apply For A UK Dependant Visa - Processes, Costs And Wait Times

      Once you have determined your eligibility for a UK-dependent visa, the next step is to begin the application process. This involves filling in an online form, which can be done through the UK Visas and Immigration website.

      Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a decision from the Home Office, and many visas are estimated to take around 3 weeks. It is important to note, however, that the length of time will depend on the type of visa you are applying for, and where you are making the application from – applications made from outside the UK may take longer to process.

      The fee for applying for your visa varies depending on the type of visa that your sponsor holds, and the length of time you will be in the UK – as an example, a Skilled Worker visa will incur the following charges:

      Applying Outside The UK

      • Up to 3 years – £625 per person
      • More than 3 years – £1235 per person

      Applying From Inside The UK

      • Up to 3 years – £719 per person
      • More than 3 years – £1423 per person

      How Can IAS Help?

      Here at IAS, we understand that applying for a UK-dependent visa can be a complicated and lengthy process. That is why our experienced team is here to help guide you through the application process and make sure that everything goes off without a hitch.

      Our experienced consultants are on hand to answer any questions you may have about the UK dependent visa, and provide tailored advice and solutions which take into account your individual circumstances. Give us a call on +44 (0) 3316300929 if you are in the UK, or contact our Lagos office directly on +23413438882 if you are making your application from Nigeria.

      Our lawyers have a wealth of experience and expertise and will ensure that your application is successful and that you receive the visa you need. If you need help with a dependent visa, get in touch today via the online chat option, for an initial consultation.

      If you need help with a UK dependant visa, get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers today. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  If the main visa holder loses their job, the next steps will depend largely on the type of visa that they hold. Those on certain types of visas, including a Skilled Worker visa, will have their visa curtailed by the loss of their job, and be required to update their visa with their new employer or apply for a new type of visa within 60 days.

                  Yes, a dependent visa holder is eligible to apply for a UK driving licence. The application process requires that the applicant provides documentation to prove their identity and address, such as a valid passport or residence permit. Additionally, they must also show evidence of their residency in the UK for at least six months. Once these requirements are met, they can then apply for a provisional driving licence.

                  Yes, a dependent visa holder is eligible to bring their pet to the UK. Before travelling to the UK with a pet, you will need to ensure that the animal meets all necessary regulations and requirements. This includes ensuring that they are microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and treated for tapeworms or ticks no less than 24 hours before their arrival in the UK.

                  Additionally, all pets must have an Animal Health Certificate which certifies that they are in good health and fit to travel.