Changes to UK Immigration Requirements
Here are just some of the updates that have already been introduced or will be phased in over the coming year. If you are concerned about how they may impact your immigration plans, please get in touch to discuss how we can overcome the potential new challenges you could face because of the policy changes.
- An increase in the minimum salary for a Skilled Worker Visa will see the qualifying salary rise from £26,200 per year to an annual £38,700 in April. However, this will not apply to those taking on jobs within the health and care sector and education workers in national pay scale roles.
- A phased increase in the minimum income requirement for Spouse or Family Visas with the first rise in Spring 2024 from £18,600 to £29,000 and eventually reaching £38,700 in 2025. The government recently confirmed the higher income requirement will not apply to those applying for extensions of their existing Spouse or Family Visas.
- Health and Care Worker Visa holders will no longer be able to bring dependents with them to the UK
- The Shortage Occupation List is to be overhauled with a reduction in qualifying roles and the removal of the lower qualifying salary rate.
- The Immigration Healthcare Surcharge, which provides access to the UK’s National Health Service, is set to rise substantially from £624 to £1,085 per annum.
- Since the start of 2024, Student Visa holders will no longer have the right to bring their dependents to the UK unless enrolled on a qualifying postgraduate course. International students are also not permitted to switch to a Work Visa before they have completed their studies.
- A full review of the current Graduate Visa route will also be undertaken in early 2024 and there are suggestions this could lead to a reduction in the current two year validity period of the visa.
- On January 31st 2024, new Visitor Visa rules will come into force that will allow holders to carry out some work-related tasks and remotely work during their time in the UK.
Concerned About the Changes?
It is important to seek advice now if you believe the changes could impact your UK immigration plans. With some of the key updates not coming into force until April, you may want to consider making your application for a visa as soon as possible to avoid having to meet any additional requirements.
Our expert team of lawyers can provide support in identifying the most suitable visa route, highlight potential concerns, and ensure all your paperwork is ready for a successful application. Make a positive start to 2024 by taking advantage of our bespoke advice sessions speed up your application and help you achieve your immigration goals this year.
Planning to Move Outside the UK?
If you are not planning to relocate to the UK but are interested in other destinations, IAS can still provide tailored advice and essential support to help you or your loved ones begin a new life in a new country in 2024. Contact our knowledgeable team to find out more about our comprehensive range of services.
Last modified on January 4th, 2024 at 4:59 pm
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.