Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

UK Spouse Visa Requirements for Nigerians

The Spouse Visa, which is part of the Family visa category, allows British citizens and settled individuals with a spouse residing in Nigeria to bring them to the UK.

IAS can help you obtain a UK spouse visa. Call us on our UK Office +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Want to Apply for a UK Spouse visa?

    We have successfully helped numerous Nigerians get reunited with their spouses in the UK. If you want more information about a Spouse Visa application, we can guide you through the eligibility requirements and support you along the way. Let us handle all the complexities and make your application process as stress-free as possible.

    Contact Us

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or XXX

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Spouse Visa Requirements

    To qualify for a UK Spouse Visa, you must demonstrate to UK Visas and Immigration that you satisfy the following criteria:

    • Your  spouse is a British citizen or Irish, permanently residing in the United Kingdom, granted pre-settled status, in possession of a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa, or refugee status or humanitarian assistance.
    • You and your companion are both at least 18 years old;
    • You and your companion are not in a prohibited relationship status.
    • You and your spouse have met in person; You and your spouse are legally married in a UK-recognized marriage.
    • Your relationship is genuine;
    • You and your companion intend to reside permanently in the United Kingdom;
    • Any previous relationships have ended irrevocably;
    • You satisfy a financial requirement;
    • You and your dependents have adequate housing.
    • You speak and comprehend English at an acceptable level.

    The precise requirements you must meet to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa may vary depending on your circumstances. You may wish to seek the counsel of an immigration attorney. IAS can help you to apply for a spouse visa UK. Call us on our UK Office +44 (0) 3316300929 or you can contact us online.

    Financial Requirements for Spouse Visa

    You must meet the Spouse Visa financial criteria in order to show that you can support yourself effectively in the UK without using public funding.

    In order to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa, you must show that your spouse (or the two of you together if you are in the country with legal authorization to stay) earns a gross yearly income of at least:

    • £18,600;
    • Plus £3,800 for a first child (who is not a citizen of the UK, has permission to stay indefinitely, has pre-settled status, is settled, or is an EEA national with permission to reside in the UK);
    • Plus £2,400 for each additional child (who is not a citizen of the UK, has permission to stay indefinitely, has pre-settled status, is settled, or is an EEA national with permission to reside in the UK).

    When the financial criteria for a UK Spouse Visa is that the sponsor can ‘adequately maintain and accommodate’ the family member being sponsored to enter or stay in the UK, other considerations will apply if your Spouse is receiving specific state benefits or entitlements.

    When you initially apply to join the UK as a spouse, when you seek to extend your stay as a spouse, and when you apply for indefinite permission to remain as a spouse, you must fulfil the financial criteria.

    Accommodation Requirements for a Spouse Visa

    You must show that you and your spouse will have access to suitable housing in housing that you own or occupy alone, without having to depend on public funding, whether you are asking for entrance clearance or for further permission to stay as a spouse.

    You will need to provide proof of your ownership or occupancy of the property, that you have the only legal right to occupy it, that it won’t be overcrowded, and that it won’t violate any public health standards.

    In order to qualify for family immigration, applicants must demonstrate that their housing is “adequate.” According to the definition of “adequate housing,” the family must reside in housing that:

    • Is owned or inhabited only by the applicant and their family;
    • Can be acquired without using public money;
    • Is not already overcrowded or will not become so;
    • Does not violate public health rules.

    English Language Requirements for Spouse Visa


    You must demonstrate your English language proficiency to the Home Office as part of your Spouse Visa application unless you are exempt.

    To convert to the Spouse Visa route or to file for entrance clearance, you must show that your English language proficiency is at least at CEFR level A1. If you apply for further leave to stay as a spouse, you must provide proof of English language proficiency at least at level A2 of the CEFR.

    You may fulfil the English language requirement for the Spouse Visa by:

    • Owning citizenship from a nation where the main language is English;
    • Passing an approved English language test administered by an authorised provider at or higher than the necessary CEFR level, as detailed in Approved Secure English Language Tests and exam Centers; or
    • Possessing a degree that, if earned in the UK, is a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD; or, if earned elsewhere, is deemed by Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) to meet or exceed the recognized standard of a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD in the UK; or Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) has verified that the degree was acquired or researched in English at or above the necessary CEFR level.

    The Exemption

    In order to demonstrate that you are exempt from the English language requirement, you must typically:

    • You have a physical or mental impairment that prevents you from fulfilling the English language requirement;
    • You are over 65 at the time of application;

    There are extraordinary circumstances that make it impossible for you to meet the English language requirement before visiting the UK.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your UK spouse visa application from Nigeria Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      Genuine Relationship Test for Spouse Visa

      The candidate for a UK Spouse Visa must be able to demonstrate that they are in a sincere relationship with their British citizen spouse, such as a civil partnership. You may provide the Home Office with a wide variety of evidence, including:

      • A combined mortgage or lease, whether it is in the UK or elsewhere;
      • A birth certificate or other proof of any children you and your partner have together
      • photos proving you two have spent a lot of time together;
      • A joint checking or savings;
      • Chat records from social networking sites or texts;
      • Travel records demonstrating that you met at least once before getting married;
      • Any documentation demonstrating your intent to cohabitate in the UK.

      Spouse Visa Document Checklist

      The following set of documents is for the spouse visa:

      • A Nigerian passport that is up to date or another reliable travel ID;
      • Copies of your prior passports’ picture pages and any visa or entrance stamps;
      • Your marriage licence or civil partnership certificate;
      • Results of your tuberculosis test, if you are from a nation where it is necessary.
      • Bank statements might be used as evidence that you can satisfy the financial criterion.
      • Photographs, travel reservation confirmations from vacations you have had together, joint tenancy agreements, and other documents might serve as evidence of your relationship’s sincerity.
      • a tenancy agreement or other documentation that demonstrates you will have suitable housing while you are in the UK
      • a certificate of English language proficiency unless you already possess an academic credential that satisfies the English language requirement.
      • You will need documentation indicating you or your spouse was previously married, such as a divorce certificate, to prove that the prior marriage terminated.

      How much does it cost to apply for a UK Spouse Visa?

      The Home Office now charges £1,538 for any applications filed from overseas for a Spouse visa. The price drops to £1,048 if you submit your application from inside the UK. If you are applying with dependents, the fee will go up, and it will go up for each dependant.

      If you have been granted permission to remain in the UK for more than six months or are not attempting to enter the country as a guest, you may only apply from inside the UK. Additionally, you are not permitted to apply for a prospective civil partner or fiancé permission from inside the UK.

      What to Do if a Spouse Visa Application is Refused?

      You may challenge the Home Office’s decision if your application is refused. An immigration advisor can help you the most with this complicated and drawn-out procedure.

      IAS can help with any aspect of your case. Please get in contact with one of our immigration consultants if you need assistance with your Spouse Visa appeal application.

      How Can IAS Help?

      Applications for spouse visas may be complicated, thus consulting with an immigration specialist is strongly advised. You must make sure you comply with all regulations, fill out all necessary forms, and gather your supporting documentation before submitting. This must be comprehensive and demonstrate the sincerity of your partnership.

      At IAS, we prioritise maximising your chances of spending time with loved ones since we recognize how important it is to be connected to them.

      You may get step-by-step assistance from our team of knowledgeable immigration experts when you apply for a spouse visa in the UK.

      IAS consultants are prepared to assist you in resolving any problem you may be experiencing in relation to the acquisition of a British Innovator visa or any other kind of visa for relocating to the UK. Call us on +23413438882 or our UK Office at +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also contact us online.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                If you are requesting a spouse visa from Nigeria, you should do so in the nation in which you now live (other than temporary visitor). You don’t have to be a resident of the nation.

                You may apply for leave to remain as a spouse from inside the UK if you are currently there and have been given permission to stay for a period of more than six months.

                You must leave the UK and submit an application for entrance clearance as a spouse from Nigeria if you have been given a leave of absence of six months or less, such as as a tourist.

                You might want to make your employment more permanent after you and your partner are residing in the UK. By obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain, you may do this. ILR enables you to live permanently in the UK without being constrained by immigration laws.

                If you continue to satisfy the necessary standards after five years, you may often apply for this. Additionally, there is a 10-year path to indefinite leave to remain that has significantly softer requirements for the minimum income.

                No, unless your spouse or partner is already a resident of the UK (and has authorization to work), their income cannot be taken into account when determining your ability to meet the financial requirements. In such instances, the minimum payment amount might be determined by family income.