Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Can I get a student loan with Indefinite Leave to Remain?

If you are an international pupil looking to pursue your education in the UK and you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain or you intend to apply for it, our immigration lawyers will be happy to help.

If you would like to apply a UK visa or extend your visa, get in contact today on 0333 305 9375. We’re here for you in person, over the phone and via Skype.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Student Finance Eligibility

    If you are a pupil studying in the UK, you might be able to borrow money to pay for university or college tuition fees, and to help with living costs. Besides, those who are on a low income, are disabled or have children might get extra money on top of their student finance.

    If you are an international pupil looking to pursue your education in the UK and you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain or you intend to apply for it, IAS’ immigration lawyers can help you. Call us today or get in touch with our customer care team to find out more about our services.

    uk student finance ilr

    UK student loan eligibility

    Your UK student loan eligibility will be based on the following:

    • Your university or college
    • You course
    • If you have studied a higher education course before
    • Your age and personal circumstances
    • Your nationality and UK immigration status

    Non-UK nationals must hold UK settlement status on the first day of the academic year of the course to be eligible for student finance.

    Can I get a student loan with indefinite leave to remain?

    You can apply for Student Finance if you either:

    • Are a UK national
    • Hold Indefinite Leave to Remain (or an immigration status with no restrictions on how long you can stay) and you normally live in England
    • Have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 continuous years before the first day of your course.

    Student finance for EU nationals

    If you are an EU national and you are starting a course on or after 1st August 2021, you must have either settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to apply for student finance.

    This does not apply to Irish pupils who wish to study in the UK. International students from outside the EU can apply for a Student Visa if they are not eligible for ILR.

    How to get student loan if you don’t hold ILR

    You may also be eligible for a student loan if your UK immigration status is one of the following:

    • Refugee
    • Humanitarian protection
    • Stateless person
    • You have been given ILR because you have been the victim of domestic violence

    If you need support, you can get in touch with our LondonManchester, or Birmingham immigration lawyers, or alternatively, check our office finder for your closest branch. We look forward to speaking with you.

    You may be interested in reading about.

    We can help you if you need advice or assistance about how this change to the Immigration Rules affects you. Call us now

      Fill out the form

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package