I want to make the UK my permanent home, can your lawyers in Woodford Green help?
Of course, many immigrants who come to the UK come with the intention of making it their permanent home. Our lawyers can help you to do this and there are several options that will allow you to live in the UK permanently. These incude:
- Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR): ILR allows you to live, work and study in the UK permanently, to be eligible you will need to have lived in the UK for a certain period of time under a relevant immigration route. This is usually 5 years and routes to ILR can include the Spouse Visa, Skilled Worker Visa, Ancestry Visa and much more. You will also need to pass the life in the UK test and demonstrate you knowledge of the English language, unless exempt.
- British Citizenship: Becoming a British Citizen is often the final goal for many people on their immigration journey. Becoming a UK citizen will give you the freedom to live permanently in the UK without any immigration restrictions. You will have the same rights as any other UK citizens, this means that you can apply for a British passport and vote in all UK elections. There are several different routes to citizenship, including by marriage, birth, descent and naturalisation.
Our lawyers in Woodford Green have helped many of their clients to make the UK their permanent home, they can support you with a citizenship or settlement application. They will advise you about the best option available to you and can inform you about all of the requirements you will need to meet.
For more information, get in touch with our team now on 0333 305 9375.
What are the requirements for British Citizenship by Marriage?
To be eligible for British Citizenship by Marriage, you must be married to or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen or someone with settled status in the UK. As well as this there are several other requirements that you will need to meet, these include:
- Passing the Life in the UK test
- Demonstrating your knowledge of the English language
- Holding settled status
- Having lived in the UK for at least three years
- Meeting the good character requirement
It can be difficult to prove that you can meet these requirements, you will need a substantial portfolio of evidence to do this. Our lawyers in Woodford Green can help you to gather everything you will need for portfolio.
To start your British Citizenship application today, get in touch on 0333 305 9375.
Although both allow you to make the UK your permanent home, ILR and British citizenship are different.
ILR allows you to live in the UK permanently but you are still subject to some restrictions, it can be revoked if you leave the UK for more than two years.
With British citizenship, there is no limit on how long you can stay out of the country for. You will also be eligible for a UK passport which you can use to travel in and out of the country and you can vote in all UK elections as well as run for office.
The Life in the UK test must be passed by anyone applying for settlement in the UK or British citizenship. The test lasts 45 minutes, consists of 24 questions about British culture and traditions and you must get a score of at least 75% to pass.
For more information on the Life in the UK test and how you can apply, get in touch with our lawyers on 0333 305 9375.